Just played through the 1st two Dragon Age games brehs

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
I'm a bioware head so after completing my 118th playthrough of the Mass Effect trilogy, I decided to give Dragon Age a shot since I never played it. Pretty dope I must admit.

DA Origins has aged horribly. Much like Mass Effect 1, it was a chore getting through the game but the story kept me pushing onward. The combat system is what drove me crazy. I ran with a Elven warrior and romanced the witch Morrigan. I enjoyed the ending very much.

DA 2 was such a huge improvement. The graphics and gameplay were stellar. Interesting too because ME2 was the highlight of the ME trilogy and DA 2 was fantastic especially the combat. I was so hyoe after the end I wanted to run another playthrough immediately but I hopped on Inquisition.

I'm still in the beginning phase of DA Inquisition but I can tell this is gonna be the best of the series.

I hate Ive been missing out on this series for so long. Its incredible. Not better then ME though but it's right there.

I put 176 hours in DAI last year according to the Sony game stats :wow:

Make sure you play the Tresspasser DLC. It's the real conclusion and major set up for Dragon Age 4.

Archangel

Banned
Daps
DAO is the best one combat wise if you know what you're doing, it actually got better the 2nd time I played it because I understood the system more. It has the best story for me, the only area of the game that really drags is the mage tower fade

2 was trash.

Inquisition is good but it had a few things I really didn't like.

I played as a warrior in da:o and I didn't like how slow the combat was. Maybe if I played as another class, I would have a higher opinion of it. The story is the only thing that compelled me through my 35 ish hours on it. And you're right about that section with the fade. Worse part of the game.

So playing da 2 and seeing how sped up the combat was, I was pleased. Hated being stuck in the town the entire game though but the story was a great setup for the Templar vs Mage story of Inquisition.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I played as a warrior in da:o and I didn't like how slow the combat was. Maybe if I played as another class, I would have a higher opinion of it. The story is the only thing that compelled me through my 35 ish hours on it. And you're right about that section with the fade. Worse part of the game.

So playing da 2 and seeing how sped up the combat was, I was pleased. Hated being stuck in the town the entire game though but the story was a great setup for the Templar vs Mage story of Inquisition.

Playing as a mage is the best way to play the game because you have so many options, and late game mages can do pretty much anything.

Warrior is alright, it's only interesting if you understand aggro and how to finesse the tactics system, the Awakening DLC actually made Warriors a lot funner, the base game Warrior is only interesting if you picked Berzerker/Reaver because it gives you more to do than just using the same cycle of moves.

Rogue is probably the worst, they didn't really do much at all to make them interesting, I like Zevran as a character so I had one on my team but I could've easily took him off my team and I wouldn't have missed him combat-wise.

DA2 was pretty shallow if you ask me, the combat is more action based but the story and setting took huge steps back and the combat is way less intricate.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Don't let these people get at you OP - Dragon Age 2 was hated on for a lot of shyt but never gets credit for what it does right. That combat is A1, the cast is solid, ARISHAK is the best villain in the entire series. Plenty of shyt to do.

The biggest heat it got was because it was called a direct sequel. It was a new protagonist, removed almost entirely from DAO, it was locked into one area more or less, and even at the end you never make a 'real' difference. It should've been called a spin off and everything would've been fine. Instead people treat it like it was Deus Ex 2.

Its funny because the combat from Mass Effect 3 that everyone loves comes directly from the foundation of Dragon Age 2 :mjpls:

DAO aged like shyt though. For real.... tried replaying that again and outside of the story its horrendous. The combat is by far the most unbalanced shyt from bioware since day one SWTOR. Its not just bad, but mages will be nuking you from 4 rooms over while you're forced to run through rooms filled with obstacles like barriers of broken tables and oil covered floors. DA2 was bad for it too, but DAO LOVES to surround you with bullshyt random spawns. What makes it worse than DA2 is the fact that there's very few proper tanking/aggro systems available for the player (or even the enemy). Its a shyt show. Hell, the community had to patch in AoE damage for two handed weapons because otherwise there's no fukking purpose to an entire class.

I can get liking the RPG aspects of DAO, but the thing is that there are much better by the numbers RPGs for that type of thing. DAO lived on its accessibility and its story options and never by its combat, loot, or even its characters. If Baldur's Gate and all the other stuff was too much for you, DAO brought you in and held you close.

For the Western Action RPG? DA2 was a founding father whether people want to admit it or not :win:

Archangel

Banned
Daps
For the Western Action RPG? DA2 was a founding father whether people want to admit it or not :win:

Low key facts. When I played DA2, first thing that came to mind was ME3. I am surprised at the amount of hate DA2 is getting in this thread. The combat is the best of the series coming from someone who has not beaten Inquisition yet. The story and setting left a lot to be desired but I actually enjoyed the whole Mages vs Templar thing. It was a unique story but I do feel like it could've been executed a bit better. For me its DA2>>>>Inquisition>>>>>DA: Origins :yeshrug:
Inquisition will probably grab that 1st spot when I beat it if it turns out as good as it's going so far.
Dragon age 2 is the best :ahh:

We're in the minority it seems breh but:salute:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
DAI is really underrated too man

Again, mad nerds hated on what the game wasn't instead of what it was

there's a lot of open areas but you either will or won't deal with them. its a dope game with plenty of shyt to do, great variance between subclasses, solid loot emphasis, damned good enemies (random boss option to start out in advanced settings is amazing), and probably the best best bioware cast in a loooong time.

Archangel

Banned
Daps
DAI is really underrated too man

Again, mad nerds hated on what the game wasn't instead of what it was

there's a lot of open areas but you either will or won't deal with them. its a dope game with plenty of shyt to do, great variance between subclasses, solid loot emphasis, damned good enemies (random boss option to start out in advanced settings is amazing), and probably the best best bioware cast in a loooong time.
I'm about 20 ish or so hours into Inquisition and so far, it's everything Andromeda shouldve been honestly. My only gripe is that it's open world. Weird as it may sound, I prefer these types of games to be more controlled especially seeing that it's bioware. The ME trilogy often gave the illusion of open world especially ME1 also DA: Origins did as well. I feel the open world kinda takes away from the overall story.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I'm about 20 ish or so hours into Inquisition and so far, it's everything Andromeda shouldve been honestly. My only gripe is that it's open world. Weird as it may sound, I prefer these types of games to be more controlled especially seeing that it's bioware. The ME trilogy often gave the illusion of open world especially ME1 also DA: Origins did as well. I feel the open world kinda takes away from the overall story.
something i wish i'd known going into DAI is that the open world areas don't need to be tackled all at once - and many aren't intended to be either. many times you'll get information you need for one area in another, and a quest in one place will have ramifications in another

its pretty dope but the way the game is presented it feels like you have to strong arm everything

ReggieFlare

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ITGang
I'd recommend playing DAO with mods. I had one that sped up the combat which helped alot as by default it's a bit too slow. The number of skills you could use in a fight was probably the best thing about that game. Mages were pretty diverse then

DA2 would have been a lot better if it wasn't so limited by the small number of maps.

DAI overall is the best IMO despite the MMO feel it gives off.