"Just learn to Code" they said... the TRUTH about Coding / Programming Jobs

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
OP is a retarded nut, but I want to thank you again for this thread, breh :wow:

This thread really put the battery in my back and made me decide to switch my career to tech :wow:

Folks ask why I put so much time into the coli, but this site has put money into mine and my family's pockets MANY times. Greatest site in the world. :wow:

I feel the exact same way

:mjcry:

JNew

Superstar
Daps
Because i work with a few of them. They work 12-14hr workdays.

Yep same with engineering. Its bread and butter money but the jobs are miserable and the people they attract tend to be the socially inept kids from HS that gained their confidence in life by being able to score As and Bs on test. I'm venting a little but these people are absolutely insufferable to be around daily. Everything is an ego driven competition.

I plan to stay in the industry for another few years, but after that i rather do anything then be in the industry no matter what they offer to pay.

Ive gone from skilled labor job to office cube life and now I've been in the industry just a few years and its an absolute miserable waste of life.

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
Is it WFH, or in the office? If its in an office, what is the work enviornment like?
Hybrid.

one of my coworkers told me she be working at night. i told her I know , and she was mad embarrassed asking me how i knew :dead:
Yep same with engineering. Its bread and butter money but the jobs are miserable and the people they attract tend to be the socially inept kids from HS that gained their confidence in life by being able to score As and Bs on test. I'm venting a little but these people are absolutely insufferable to be around daily. Everything is an ego driven competition.

I plan to stay in the industry for another few years, but after that i rather do anything then be in the industry no matter what they offer to pay.

Ive gone from skilled labor job to office cube life and now I've been in the industry just a few years and its an absolute miserable waste of life.
IT is filled with corny people like this.

Last edited:
Daps
Big tech is likely more stressful, but working for most non tech companies is pretty easy. The barrier to get into IT/Software Development can be high, but once you get in, you can choose the level of added stress you want in your life.

Daps
For anybody that wants to learn, it's not too late:

www.theodinproject.com

When I started, I was working full time so I couldn't go to school, and couldn't do a bootcamp, but I ran across Odin, which is a free self-learning class. You must have discipline to do it, because you won't be on any type of timeframe or schedule, and you won't have anybody standing over you making you do it. Also, the fact that you don't have to spend money for it could be a double edged sword, because you can procrastinate, thinking that "well it ain't like I paid for it."

But if you can remain disciplined and focused, you can do this. I closed the door on my business for a couple years, and I started working less hours, so that I could have the time to do this. I spent weekends learning, stayed up late at night learning. And now 3 years later I'm here.

I'm not saying I know everything. In programming/tech, you are always going to be learning.

But that's the fun part. Leggooooooo :wow:

LV Koopa

Jester from Hell
Daps
Reppin
NYC
For anybody that wants to learn, it's not too late:

www.theodinproject.com

When I started, I was working full time so I couldn't go to school, and couldn't do a bootcamp, but I ran across Odin, which is a free self-learning class. You must have discipline to do it, because you won't be on any type of timeframe or schedule, and you won't have anybody standing over you making you do it. Also, the fact that you don't have to spend money for it could be a double edged sword, because you can procrastinate, thinking that "well it ain't like I paid for it."

But if you can remain disciplined and focused, you can do this. I closed the door on my business for a couple years, and I started working less hours, so that I could have the time to do this. I spent weekends learning, stayed up late at night learning. And now 3 years later I'm here.

I'm not saying I know everything. In programming/tech, you are always going to be learning.

But that's the fun part. Leggooooooo :wow:

Just browsed through some of their courses and see they link to replit. Yea they're legit :salute:

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
Developing/Coding is a miserable job
It really is. Those first 6 months in a new enterprise level system are awful. If you can't get good enough to get all your work done in 3 hours a day and still make deadlines within 6 months you should look for a new project ASAP. Especially if you're in a codebase that's primarily been worked on by people with (Infosys) after their name.