"Just learn to Code" they said... the TRUTH about Coding / Programming Jobs

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA
Big tech is likely more stressful, but working for most non tech companies is pretty easy. The barrier to get into IT/Software Development can be high, but once you get in, you can choose the level of added stress you want in your life.
right breh said 14 hr work days ... ive been in the industry for a few years and i had days where i only pull 1-3 hrs :mjlol: NEVER work for a startup or in gaming if u dont want to work long hours

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
It really is. Those first 6 months in a new enterprise level system are awful. If you can't get good enough to get all your work done in 3 hours a day and still make deadlines within 6 months you should look for a new project ASAP. Especially if you're in a codebase that's primarily been worked on by people with (Infosys) after their name.
my team let go of two developers/contractors already.

1st one because he was slow at his job and was making small mistakes.
2nd one because she was slow to complete her work and never asked for help

Reason why they let both go? they hired a 3rd developer who i aint gonna lie is very very good at his job. He saw how bad the two others were, and started complaining and making them look bad in meetings. So the project leader, let those 2 other developers go from the team. Now we're 2 dev short. Guess who's stuck doing most of the work and putting out fires?? That 3rd dev who's good at his job but inadvertently got the other two fired. This nikka complains alot about having too much work to do :dead:

Daps
right breh said 14 hr work days ... ive been in the industry for a few years and i had days where i only pull 1-3 hrs :mjlol: NEVER work for a startup or in gaming if u dont want to work long hours
Yeah my regular schedule is around an hour of actual work a day. Just maintenance, and putting out the occasional fire. Not the most fulfilling, but not very stressful.

At some point, one is going to value less stress over more money and I'm at that point. Anyone who's an overworked dev is doing so by choice.

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
Yeah my regular schedule is around an hour of actual work a day. Just maintenance, and putting out the occasional fire. Not the most fulfilling, but not very stressful.

At some point, one is going to value less stress over more money and I'm at that point. Anyone who's an overworked dev is doing so by choice.
see you work on things that are already built and all you have to do is keep the sht running.

But have you every worked a project that build things where there's a lot of analysis, trial and error involved, on a scrum team?? that sht is stressful brah

Daps
see you work on things that are already built and all you have to do is keep the sht running.

But have you every worked a project that build things where there's a lot of analysis, trial and error involved, on a scrum team?? that sht is stressful brah

Sounds fun :mjgrin:

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA

Hell yea my last job was a startup. Never again! Pay was good but the stress wasn't worth it

Daps

If you're doing that repeatedly with no down time after the project ends, then that can get to you. Based on your situation described, I would have quit. I don't like coworkers that say in folks business.

My work is fairly typical legacy app management that many view as dead end, and they're right, but it pays decent enough and will always be in demand.

Last edited:

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
If you're doing that repeatedly with no down time after the project ends, then that can get to you. Based on your situation described, I would have quit. I don't like coworkers that say in folks business.

My work is fairly typical legacy app management that many view as dead end, and they're right, but it pays decent enough and will always be in demand.

It's a long 3-4 year project.

my nikka we just got a new BA .and my other coworker (another BA) is already complaining that new BA slow in completing his work. And she says that on some "between you and me..." sht

And she complaining about dude while she needs help and guidance on practically anything she has to work on. Me the moment one coworker starts talking sht about another coworker i assume they try to talk sht about me too. But the one thing with me is that i'm good at my job and ppl need help from me, not the other way around .

Daps

my nikka we just got a new BA .and my other coworker (another BA) is already complaining that new BA slow in completing his work. And she says that on some "between you and me..." sht

And she complaining about dude while she needs help and guidance on practically anything she has to work on. Me the moment one coworker starts talking sht about another coworker i assume they try to talk sht about me too. But the one thing with me is that i'm good at my job and ppl need help from me, not the other way around .
Damn, is it the job itself or the workplace politics that's causing the stress?! Definitely wouldn't work there. They really don't like "slow" employees. Luckily my BAs just do check ins to make sure development/testing are still on track for completion.

2nd one because she was slow to complete her work and never asked for help

Bet she didn't ask because she was afraid a slick, condescending answer would come back. When I first got started, I had to get over that. Devs can be serious a$$holes who will either give a slick answer or nothing at all which forces you to figure it out and that can take time.

LV Koopa

Jester from Hell
Daps
Reppin
NYC

wise

WakandanPride

Realest Negus Alive
Daps
Reppin
ATL
For anybody that wants to learn, it's not too late:

www.theodinproject.com

When I started, I was working full time so I couldn't go to school, and couldn't do a bootcamp, but I ran across Odin, which is a free self-learning class. You must have discipline to do it, because you won't be on any type of timeframe or schedule, and you won't have anybody standing over you making you do it. Also, the fact that you don't have to spend money for it could be a double edged sword, because you can procrastinate, thinking that "well it ain't like I paid for it."

But if you can remain disciplined and focused, you can do this. I closed the door on my business for a couple years, and I started working less hours, so that I could have the time to do this. I spent weekends learning, stayed up late at night learning. And now 3 years later I'm here.

I'm not saying I know everything. In programming/tech, you are always going to be learning.

But that's the fun part. Leggooooooo :wow:
Imma look into this.

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
I’m starting my bootcamp for webdev on June 26, ends on Sept 15. Tell me I’ll be alright breh :lupe:
As long as the bootcamp isn't Woz U, you'll be alright.

Find the people who are as serious as you are and stick together.

Ignore the AI talk, there will always be places that need human devs for a long list of reasons.