"Just learn to Code" they said... the TRUTH about Coding / Programming Jobs

Daps
There are a ton of gems on that site, and it was from almost 20 years ago a lot of it was written. A lot of his views on Software Development shaped the way I thought about the industry.

There was one article on growing fast vs growing slow. And the 2 examples were Ben & Jerry's and I think Amazon. Dude hit the nail on the head 1000% and what he said would happen is exactly how it looked to me when I started learning about corporate finance.

Right now (at this very moment) I'm reading his guerrilla guide to interviewing, and the funny thing is he answers every single hangup that OP has in this thread. He literally turns the mind of the interviewer inside out for us to examine and know what they're thinking it and why they're thinking it. It's incredibly fascinating. Plus he breaks down basics that you must know before you call yourself a programmer. Even though some would consider it dated, it really isn't because as he says, yeah your surgeon may be able to use a machine when you're in the operating room... but wouldn't you still want them to know and understand human anatomy? And even though programmers are able to automate so much these days, a programmer should know and understand the way a cpu works down to its most basic level.

I love it.

LV Koopa

Jester from Hell
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Right now (at this very moment) I'm reading his guerrilla guide to interviewing, and the funny thing is he answers every single hangup that OP has in this thread. He literally turns the mind of the interviewer inside out for us to examine and know what they're thinking it and why they're thinking it. It's incredibly fascinating. Plus he breaks down basics that you must know before you call yourself a programmer. Even though some would consider it dated, it really isn't because as he says, yeah your surgeon may be able to use a machine when you're in the operating room... but wouldn't you still want them to know and understand human anatomy? And even though programmers are able to automate so much these days, a programmer should know and understand the way a cpu works down to its most basic level.

I love it.

This is what I was getting at about understanding implementation and logic versus knowing programming languages. At the time I was in school, there were a lot of geeky arguments about Java vs C++, Ruby vs Python, all kinds of stuff.

One of my teachers was a Japanese dude. He taught Databases. I failed his class twice :snoop:

Anyway, I could barely understand his English. I think he was doing that on purpose because one day he heard a bunch of people arguing about programming languages and in near perfect English said "who cares. Just get the job done easy and make money":pachaha:

Also had another foreign teacher who taught a brutal class that I forgot the name of but I think it was called Computer Organization. We were programming little gadgets, micro controllers, circuit boards type stuff. Class was HARD AS fukk.

But he told us if you can pass his class you can do anything because it was low level programming. A step above directly interfacing with a compiler because you had to understand instruction sets and working in base 2 and base 16.

He was an old dude and he said in a few decades when automation and AI improves, many people think programmers will be obsolete. He said nah, those who know have high levels of understanding are going to be rich while everyone else gets the trash jobs. I think he may have been right.

LV Koopa

Jester from Hell
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Yea I might have to reread some of his stuff:

The Guerrilla Guide to Interviewing (version 3.0)

It’s because it is much, much better to reject a good candidate than to accept a bad candidate. A bad candidate will cost a lot of money and effort and waste other people’s time fixing all their bugs. Firing someone you hired by mistake can take months and be nightmarishly difficult, especially if they decide to be litigious about it. In some situations it may be completely impossible to fire anyone. Bad employees demoralize the good employees. And they might be bad programmers but really nice people or maybe they really need this job, so you can’t bear to fire them, or you can’t fire them without pissing everybody off, or whatever. It’s just a bad scene.

On the other hand, if you reject a good candidate, I mean, I guess in some existential sense an injustice has been done, but, hey, if they’re so smart, don’t worry, they’ll get lots of good job offers. Don’t be afraid that you’re going to reject too many people and you won’t be able to find anyone to hire. During the interview, it’s not your problem. Of course, it’s important to seek out good candidates. But once you’re actually interviewing someone, pretend that you’ve got 900 more people lined up outside the door. Don’t lower your standards no matter how hard it seems to find those great candidates.

OK, I didn’t tell you the most important part—how do you know whether to hire someone?

In principle, it’s simple. You’re looking for people who are

1. Smart, and
  2. Get things done.
That’s it. That’s all you’re looking for. Memorize that. Recite it to yourself before you go to bed every night. You don’t have enough time to figure out much more in a short interview, so don’t waste time trying to figure out whether the candidate might be pleasant to be stuck in an airport with, or whether they really know ATL and COM programming or if they’re just faking it.

People who are Smart but don’t Get Things Done often have PhDs and work in big companies where nobody listens to them because they are completely impractical. They would rather mull over something academic about a problem rather than ship on time. These kind of people can be identified because they love to point out the theoretical similarity between two widely divergent concepts. For example, they will say, “Spreadsheets are really just a special case of programming language,” and then go off for a week and write a thrilling, brilliant whitepaper about the theoretical computational linguistic attributes of a spreadsheet as a programming language. Smart, but not useful. The other way to identify these people is that they have a tendency to show up at your office, coffee mug in hand, and try to start a long conversation about the relative merits of Java introspection vs. COM type libraries, on the day you are trying to ship a beta.

:wow:

Daps
This is what I was getting at about understanding implementation and logic versus knowing programming languages. At the time I was in school, there were a lot of geeky arguments about Java vs C++, Ruby vs Python, all kinds of stuff.

One of my teachers was a Japanese dude. He taught Databases. I failed his class twice :snoop:

Anyway, I could barely understand his English. I think he was doing that on purpose because one day he heard a bunch of people arguing about programming languages and in near perfect English said "who cares. Just get the job done easy and make money":pachaha:

Also had another foreign teacher who taught a brutal class that I forgot the name of but I think it was called Computer Organization. We were programming little gadgets, micro controllers, circuit boards type stuff. Class was HARD AS fukk.

But he told us if you can pass his class you can do anything because it was low level programming. A step above directly interfacing with a compiler because you had to understand instruction sets and working in base 2 and base 16.

He was an old dude and he said in a few decades when automation and AI improves, many people think programmers will be obsolete. He said nah, those who know have high levels of understanding are going to be rich while everyone else gets the trash jobs. I think he may have been right.

Man this stuff is something. I agree with you and i envy those experiences you had in those classes (even the hard ones lol). Sounds like an extremely fun journey. That's what I want. I want to learn low level programming. Might be tedious but I want to understand EVERYTHING. I'm going through the Odin project right now and I love it. It's more difficult than any other free class resource I've ever done online and it forces you to think - which i don't mind. I get fatigued after a while tho. I've spent probably 4 or 5 hrs so far today on programming related topics. My mind is tired as hell :pachaha:

But im going to just take a mental breather and get right back on the horse.

Daps
Yea I might have to reread some of his stuff:

The Guerrilla Guide to Interviewing (version 3.0)

:wow:

I'm glad you went to that because you probably read it when he first wrote it but that's the updated version. I LOVE that article. Even though like I said, my goal is to program for my own company, I learned a lot right there. Just reading expanded my brain. I feel like Neo in the matrix when he got plugged in and came back out and looked at Morpheus like ":ohhh: I know kung fu"

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Sourcegraph: Devs are managing 100x more code now than they did in 2010
Developers manage more code, in more languages, for more platforms than ever.
Sourcegraph: Devs are managing 100x more code now than they did in 2010

Crazy

As a computer engineering major that has about a year left, one conclusion I came to is never taking a coding job. I find coding tedious as hell and mentally draining. fukk that shyt

What did you end up doing?

Breh13

Smh.
Supporter
Daps
Once you get over that learning curve to learning coding, you'll be aigh.

Also don't expect 6 figures on your first job, that rarely happens. Get in the door and learn in an actual workplace. You'll get there eventually.

Bumblebreh

Collecting honey and money
Daps
Once you get over that learning curve to learning coding, you'll be aigh.

Also don't expect 6 figures on your first job, that rarely happens. Get in the door and learn in an actual workplace. You'll get there eventually.

Exactly and just like every other career, you will start at an entry level position. What they will not tell you is that people that have graduated from college and are earning big money have benefited from nepotism and having the right connections.