"Just learn to Code" they said... the TRUTH about Coding / Programming Jobs

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
As a computer engineering major that has about a year left, one conclusion I came to is never taking a coding job. I find coding tedious as hell and mentally draining. fukk that shyt

it depends on what you are doing ... and who are you doing it for.

for example, in IT working for almost any Brit is a no-no.

Cereal_Bowl_Assassin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Coding isn't for everyone, I agree with people on that but if you're motivated and don't listen to the negativity then you can do it (you have to enjoy it as well...enjoy the struggle).

I mentioned this before on this site that a couple of years ago I was struggling big time. I would take home 1800 a month. I knew I wanted something better for my life so I got in my car and drove from.jersey to San Francisco to learn how to become a software engineer.

So I went from basically being homeless

Holberton, a Two-Year Tech School, Emphasizes Diversity (Published 2017)
07-HOLBERTONweb1-jumbo.jpg

The Holberton School student Max Johnson, 33, coding on two laptops. He lives in his car because he can’t afford to pay rent in San Francisco

To landing jobs with facebook, hedge funds, start ups and now I work for the C.I.A.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/max-bayo-akin-johnson-697282b4

And now this is what I make every paycheck

20220408-055333.jpg

Im showing this not to brag, I'm far from a arrogant person but I just want people to know that its possible and im far from being smart...im just motivated and I have big plans for my future(legacy building)

Each pay check i get i transfer it out to different accounts for different purposes. Don't let negativity hold you back...if you want it go get it
..and if you need any kind of help please hit me up or other people on this board that work in tech

Edit: and when you start your journey there are going to be a lot of negative thoughts in your head telling you to go back to what you're used to. Your brain doesn't like discomfort but you have to ignore it and keep pushing. The amount of times I've cried because I was struggling to learn how to code was worth it. Hell...I got fired from 3 tech jobs but I still kept going...We gotta get out of this negative mindset...im tired of going to conventions and jobs and being the only brotha there. Come on people there is money to be made out here. The Indian and Asian people I work with aren't any smarter than us, they just know how to work together...PLEASE DONT LET THE DEVIL WIN.

Last edited:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Coding isn't for everyone, I agree with people on that but if you're motivated and don't listen to the negativity then you can do it (you have to enjoy it as well...enjoy the struggle).

I mentioned this before on this site that a couple of years ago I was struggling big time. I would take home 1800 a month. I knew I wanted something better for my life so I got in my car and drove from.jersey to San Francisco to learn how to become a software engineer.

To landing jobs with facebook, hedge funds, start ups and now I work for the C.I.A.

20220408-055333.jpg

Im showing this not to brag, I'm far from a arrogant person but I just want people to know that its possible and im far from being smart...im just motivated and I have big plans for my future(legacy building)

Each pay check i get i transfer it out to different accounts for different purposes. Don't let negativity hold you back...if you want it go get it
..and if you need any kind of help please hit me up or other people on this board that work in tech

Outstanding story breh...catch this rep

When you want it, you get it. OP doesn't know nothing about that because he is shiftless and he couldnt cut it in this world. So he projects his failures using tech jobs being bad as a scapegoat to cope with it.

Yapdatfool

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yea I don't have the patience to code, then look for mistakes, then debug over and over and over again. Knew that in college, shyt is really tough for me to master and focus.

Devops/sys admin/mdm is my comfort level. And i'm ok with that.

Cereal_Bowl_Assassin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Yea I don't have the patience to code, then look for mistakes, then debug over and over and over again. Knew that in college, shyt is really tough for me to master and focus.

Devops/sys admin/mdm is my comfort level. And i'm ok with that.

@patscorpio i owe you a rep fam

@Yapdatfool yup I'm with you on that. I started out as a full stack engineer but realized I didn't want to do that day in and day out. I really enjoy other aspects of the engineering world so I converted over to theDevOps/Site Reliability side if things. I still code in multiple languages (python, typescript, c) but I do a lot of automation, testing, cost reduction and other things.

I enjoy doing different things so DevOps was tight up my alley and I love it

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps

20220408-055333.jpg

Edit: and when you start your journey there are going to be a lot of negative thoughts in your head telling you to go back to what you're used to. Your brain doesn't like discomfort but you have to ignore it and keep pushing. The amount of times I've cried because I was struggling to learn how to code was worth it. Hell...I got fired from 3 tech jobs but I still kept going...We gotta get out of this negative mindset...im tired of going to conventions and jobs and being the only brotha there. Come on people there is money to be made out here. The Indian and Asian people I work with aren't any smarter than us, they just know how to work together...PLEASE DONT LET THE DEVIL WIN.
Came back to this thread after someone dapped a post of mine from earlier pages. But I stayed for this post, Congrats breh, the story is definitely inspiring.
:salute:

You mentioned in the other thread last week that you pull in $325K. Is that base salary or total compensation? From the screenshot above I would have guessed you recieve a bit more than $9K a month for a $325K job, hence the question about base salary.

Cereal_Bowl_Assassin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Came back to this thread after someone dapped a post of mine from earlier pages. But I stayed for this post, Congrats breh, the story is definitely inspiring.
:salute:

You mentioned in the other thread last week that you pull in $325K. Is that base salary or total compensation? From the screenshot above I would have guessed you recieve a bit more than $9K a month for a $325K job, hence the question about base salary.

Respect fam....325 is my base but I have performance goals that pays me extra if I hit them. So my take home varies from time to time but what you see in the screen shot is my actual take home

Last edited:

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
Respect fam....325 is my base but I have performance goals that pays me extra if I hit them. So my take home varied from time to time but what you see in the screen shot is my actual take home
Hats off to you given that story about being homeless and all, pull that much from being practically ass out should light a fire under any breh on this thread who doubted themselves about breaking into the industry. Especially a story with verification that wont be bushed by some as "ducktales".

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
@patscorpio i owe you a rep fam

@Yapdatfool yup I'm with you on that. I started out as a full stack engineer but realized I didn't want to do that day in and day out. I really enjoy other aspects of the engineering world so I converted over to theDevOps/Site Reliability side if things. I still code in multiple languages (python, typescript, c) but I do a lot of automation, testing, cost reduction and other things.

I enjoy doing different things so DevOps was tight up my alley and I love it
:ohhh: don't even know how I missed these past few posts. I love reading stories like this. Sincere congratulations to all your hard work and perseverance through the storms breh. Been paying off with big rewards.

What makes this story even more dope and impactful is that you never even went to school for tech. you were a lib arts major. Not only that, once you got into tech, through the journey you unfortunateyl got fired from 3 different tech jobs but STILL kept pushing.

OP is a fukking lazy ass clown.

This the epitome of rollin your up sleeves and putting in the work despite the obstacles. get your money black man :salute:

....but at the same time

we see you Fed breh :mjpls:

Cereal_Bowl_Assassin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
@Cereal_Bowl_Assassin remember to save. Things ain’t always gon be as they are. With ur earnings u can pay off houses fast. Secure urself against the wild elements of the future.

Yeah thats the plan after independence day. I've been saving a bit but im taking my a few family members to Vegas at the end of June. After that every penny is being saved so I can get into real estate and stocks

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
:ohhh: don't even know how I missed these past few posts. I love reading stories like this. Sincere congratulations to all your hard work and perseverance through the storms breh. Been paying off with big rewards.

What makes this story even more dope and impactful is that you never even went to school for tech. you were a lib arts major. Not only that, once you got into tech, through the journey you unfortunateyl got fired from 3 different tech jobs but STILL kept pushing.

OP is a fukking lazy ass clown.

This the epitome of rollin your up sleeves and putting in the work despite the obstacles. get your money black man :salute:

....but at the same time

we see you Fed breh :mjpls:

I'm getting this car hauling money and out in these streets like a real man :myman:

Brolic

High Value Poster
Daps
Reppin
Maryland

20220408-055333.jpg

Did you go to that 2 year program that you linked or did you learn on your own?