"Just learn to Code" they said... the TRUTH about Coding / Programming Jobs

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Supporter
Daps
Breh there’s no reason to be apologizing for ur belief system. U got to have that particular standpoint based on your specific life journey. Your life story. I get where you’re coming from. Nobody wants to feel like they’re going to school for the rest of their lives. Especially when the educational institutions keep churning out young fresh competitors every year.

Considering the hardheaded nature of most of the replies in this thread so far I can see why there’s such great disparity between those that succeed and those that don’t. You are thinking outside the box and by so doing, you cast yourself in a different category speaking a language only those in the same category can understand.

my point here is, stand by your belief.

Regardless, my ass is still right here learning to code :yeshrug:

I came too far to turn back now... Even if I can't get a job I'll just freelance and do my own thing. There's a lot of independent ways to make money programming/developing.

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
I was a returning student, and I didn't regret returning at all. My first degree was an AAS in computer networking but I just did general IT work and had trouble finding work in that field before I decided to go back to school because I was unhappy with my life path. More and more older people are doing it these days and I actually saw quite a few older students in my program.

If I had tried to get my current BS as 18 yo I wouldn't have been able to do it. I was to immature socially and I didn't have any of the discipline I had now. I actually was pretty shytty in high school and Hated math but I realize now it's because I never put the effort to learn it when I was younger. I felt directionless and shyt. It wasn't until I was older that I matured and was able to get focus. I went from struggling with algebra in high school to taking differential equations when I got older.

Something not talked about is that a lot of 18 year olds aren't really mentally there yet to do well in a university environment and may benefit waiting until later in life to try.

I never felt shame doing this and was never to made to feel ashamed of doing this. So, if you have thoughts of returning to college, do it. You only live once. Do what makes you happy.
You're just doing yourself a disservice at that point. Keep in mind that you are competing against Indian and Chinese kids that have been coding since age 10. A lot of them are already proficient by 18. I have seen this a lot.,

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
If an 84 year old japanese lady can learn to code and do well at it, whats stopping a nikka in his 30’s just because some nerd ass kids started learning at 10?

Its the anti-government and lack of safety nets behind it. Its practically the Wild, Wild West in an uncharted and unregulated industry with no real unions or protections from vulture employers :ld:

That's the future of the economy: uncertainty. That's not how a developed super power should behave,towards it's citizens. :hubie:

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Its the anti-government and lack of safety nets behind it. Its practically the Wild, Wild West in an uncharted and unregulated industry with no real unions or protections from vulture employers :ld:

That's the future of the economy: uncertainty. That's not how a developed super power should behave,towards it's citizens. :hubie:
I understand

Im learning just to know honestly, and maybe it will help me in my current operation or in the future

But I’m not coding to get a job at a start up and hope for 200k a year. Not realistic

But if I keep coding for the next 5 years, it might constitute for a career change I would assume

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I understand

Im learning just to know honestly, and maybe it will help me in my current operation or in the future

But I’m not coding to get a job at a start up and hope for 200k a year. Not realistic

But if I keep coding for the next 5 years, it might constitute for a career change I would assume

Yeah, that is what happens when lack of regulations and unions will get you: unsure career paths.

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps

you make a good point

TheAnointedOne

Superstar
Daps
When I dropped out of school I was a CS major. Was very close to graduating. When I get back to school I've been seriously considering switching my major to physics or some shyt.

A job sector (i.e.: 'software engineering') being flooded with so many people makes me uneasy. Everyone and their momma trying to learn how to code. It's like the 21st century gold rush. During the gold rush it was the people who sold shovels that made alot of money. While here it's the scam artists who sell bootcamps with false promises ('90% of my students got 6-figure jobs and you can too!!!')

I'd rather be doing some shyt that not alot of people are doing. That's how just weird I am.

Last edited:

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
When I dropped out of school I was a CS major. Was very close to graduating. When I get back to school I've been seriously considering switching my major to physics or some shyt.

A job sector (i.e.: 'software engineering') being flooded with so many people makes me uneasy. Everyone and their momma trying to learn how to code. It's like the 21st century gold rush. During the gold rush it was the people who sold shovels that made alot of money. While here it's the scam artists who sell bootcamps with false promises ('90% of my students got 6-figure jobs and you can too!!!')

I'd rather be doing some shyt that not alot of people are doing. That's just weird I am.

Well just make sure whatever it is you do is not gonna leave you bitter and wish you made more money. This career also has a lot of those same people quit after a year working real SE jobs after they realise they arent cut for it. I wouldn't let the high numbers deter you fro entering the field if thats what you really want.

poppastoppa

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Crack
The thing about job requirements is that a lot of times they are constructed by an HR individual who may not understand the nuances of the job and a lot of times the requirements are over the top to make people self-select out of not applying. I learned to apply to everything regardless of the "requirements" if it was anyway in line with my abilities and interest.

Don't take job requirement descriptions seriously. They are usually not exactly matching what the manager who will do the actual interviewing and hiring will look for.

This you don't really have to master everything in those requirements, just be familiar with it.

poppastoppa

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Crack
I'm full stack but we do hire positions for just front end developer s Angular, React. We also hire just specifically for other tiers in the stack. Not every place actually requires you to know it all. I would suggest that you should take the time to learn if you want to progress.

The Fade

I don’t argue with niqqas on the Internet anymore
Daps
if you havent been groomed into coding formerly it seems like it's better just to create projects on your own and hope they get big or hope you can get in early at a new start up.

or hope you have a connect