"Just learn to Code" they said... the TRUTH about Coding / Programming Jobs

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA
This This and This all day!!

The reality is Technology advances faster than most business can adopt them. Nobody is uprooting their Windows Server 2012 R2 / SCCM infrastructure over night to implement and building a fully open source/ public cloud infrastructure.

Another thing with all these hot new technologies that get hyped every month. They're just like the XXL Freshmen 15; Some will find their niche but most will get a hot summer and go on to do nothing.
Facts there's still jobs out here that use jquery or vanilla php no laravel.. hell I convinced my job to let me use vue for a small side project just so I can put on my resume I have pro experience using it:ehh:

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Oh word? You are telling me that the lower and middle class has a chance against the banking elite and the federal reserve :why:. Good luck with that :skip:. Never mind the fact that the upper middle class and wealthy side with the Fed and bankers:francis:.

Yes word.

The people won round 1 of that fight already.

MOI5Aar.png

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Coding camps are cool. But a 4 year degree is gonna shyt on that camp. Also brehs can vouch that a degree puts your app at the top compared to a camp where u gotta get put on to make decent money. Do coding camps even have logic and design courses?

Rhyme n Tekniq

Superstar
Daps
Breh.... You're talking about IT, Admin and A+ shyt....

I'm talking about software, programming and engineering...
Breh

Those same tenants apply in development/coding

Swap certs out for a git hub portfolio and that's the difference

The same way Devs gripe about unrealistic expectations from their side of the industry and the challenges they face , the same is true for IT Ops/ Infrastructure guys

And to be real, once you reach a certain level on our side of the tracks, the ability to work in some form of a shell/CLI will be necessary if you want to really advance in your career and pull down them deep six figure salaries.

Rhyme n Tekniq

Superstar
Daps
I am not a coder and I am eating good. Like homie mentioned, you have to be relentless and you have to sacrifice time. I love networking and security so I am a natural fit for Cyber Security. I am good at troubleshooting so I am getting the bag AND I never stay comfortable. I always know what I want next. The next sixth month, I will be studying heavy again so I can get another high role. You have to grind, for me to get an opportunity, I had to overload myself with certs.

I am stress free, roof over my head, good health, could help my parents out. Also I don't stay comfortable. I am steady adding new certs even if its out of my own pocket. As a matter of fact, I built my qualifications sctrictly around Amazon's requirements. I will learn to code soon tho.

:myman:
Somebody gets it. I'm walking the same path as you breh. MF'ers dont understand the "dont get comfortable" aspect of it.

"When in Rome do as the Romans do" meaning that if the tech industry is constantly evolving, so should I. People who remain static and marry themselves to any single piece of tech will eventually lose their value in the market. It's a dynamic industry, some people aint built for that level of constant maintenance and evolution. Even so, There's still a place in IT for them as not every one cares about all that. That's cool too, Just know that they'll top out at $30/hour. If they're lucky.

shyt, at my last job, there was 1 guy working under me who had been in desktop support for 15 years and had just cracked 30 an hour. Before that he was only making 20/hr He kept obsessing over the A+ thinking it was going to get him to the next level. I'd tell him to chase certs consistent with the level you're at but he wouldnt listen. His reasoning is "It's an easy cert to get". So I just gave up. Some muthafukkas choose to iceskate uphill.

Bumblebreh

Collecting honey and money
Daps
Coding camps are cool. But a 4 year degree is gonna shyt on that camp. Also brehs can vouch that a degree puts your app at the top compared to a camp where u gotta get put on to make decent money. Do coding camps even have logic and design courses?

It is not even fair to even compare the two.Its like comparing an electric scooter to a tesla.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This This and This all day!!

The reality is Technology advances faster than most business can adopt them. Nobody is uprooting their Windows Server 2012 R2 / SCCM infrastructure over night to implement and building a fully open source/ public cloud infrastructure.

Another thing with all these hot new technologies that get hyped every month. They're just like the XXL Freshmen 15; Some will find their niche but most will get a hot summer and go on to do nothing.
I've seen so many people myself included where this backfired on them. Only knowing one particular technology used by your employer. Guarantees if you lose that job you'll either take a massive paycut or end up locked out of the field.

It's basically about supply and demand in this field. So once your skillset isn't in demand your salary has nowhere to go but down. That's why retraining and retooling is so important throughout your career. If you fall too far behind your toast.

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Supporter
Daps
Hope I didn't discourage brehs with this thread. The goal was to give a more realistic expectations than the rest of these "I learned to code and after 6 months started making 6 figures and bought my mom a house and now sailing on yachts in Versailles :win: " brehs and all the capping they do.

All in all I'm still thinking of continuing to code cuz I came too far to turn back and feel weird and empty without it. Just gonna take it one day at a time.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
The requirements for this job is ridiculous

Full Stack Senior C# Developer - Precision System Design Inc. - Remote, REMOTE | Dice.com

Essential Skills:

C#, Angular, Experience with multiple development languages, including C#, Java Script, HTML and CSS.

Experience working with Microsoft technology stack (Windows Server, SQL Server, Visual Studio, TFS VCS, ADO pipelines)

Experience and working knowledge of Git source code management (including branching patterns)

Excellent communication skills listening, verbal and written

Excellent organization skills with the ability to work on multiple projects and/or assignment simultaneously in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines and changing priorities

Proven ability to work in a team-oriented environment, collaborating with others to establish common goals

Desire to stay current on technology trends and operational concepts and tools

Most of the work will be done in Angular, therefore someone who has used the latest version (8.3.19) would be highly preferred. But would be open to someone who has not used the latest version - as long as they have worked with Angular

Experience working with Amazon Web Services

Plusses:

Experience with Hadoop and other data tool-sets

Experience developing and maintaining RESTful APIs

Experience developing and maintaining Angular apps and components

Experience with CI/CD (Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment)

Experience with Cloud integration and deployment (Azure DevOps Services, AWS, etc.).

Experience with one or more public cloud platforms (e.g. AWS, Azure)

Experience with relational and non-relational (NoSQL) data stores

Knowledge of Agile/SCRUM and DevSecOps methodologies

:gucci::gucci::gucci:
this is for a senior developer though, if it was entry I would say they are full of shyt. Also don't give too much heed into job listing requirements, it's a combination of HR and the actual department not knowing what they are looking for/need.

Heretic

GOLDGANG...
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
I have a homeboy that I used to work with and he quit to learn cyber security and earn I wanna say an associates with it. He's now getting a bachelor's and is working for the government he didn't start until he was 40 or close to it and he now makes more than I do. Keep in mind, i have a degree in engineering and at the time he was a foreman, not sure if dude had a degree at the time. He was already making good money but just got tired of the travel. So basically all I'm saying is, it can be done and I would never discourage anyone from going for it.

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
Hope I didn't discourage brehs with this thread. The goal was to give a more realistic expectations than the rest of these "I learned to code and after 6 months started making 6 figures and bought my mom a house and now sailing on yachts in Versailles :win: " brehs and all the capping they do.

All in all I'm still thinking of continuing to code cuz I came too far to turn back and feel weird and empty without it. Just gonna take it one day at a time.
Thanks bc i thought it was cap but didn't know for sure.

Also, i was briefly a linguistics major in ug and was welcomed into nsbe. Conferences was lit.