Just got back from seeing X-Men: Days of Future Past

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I got back from this last night.

I don't know what to say honestly. From the looks of it the reviews are solid and the fans are all happy and yet I cannot lie I thought it was a flaming pile of shyt. I was soooo bored. And just like with Superman Returns it feels as if Singer has once again made the most inexpensive expensive movie ever made.

There were just too many things that took me out of the movie. Yea there were some brief stretches where they had me but they were so far and few between that I couldn't care less. Midway through I could not wait for it to be over.

I'm glad you all liked it though.

Next one up that I'm really lookin forward to is Apes. :salute:

Elaborate breh

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I really liked this movie. As someone who hasn't really liked any of the X-Men movies since X2, I went into the cinema expecting it to be shyt but I was thoroughly surprised.

Things I like:
Quicksilver's appearance in this was sick. The made him very powerful but also humourous since he's just a teen. I also like the little nod they had towards Magneto being his dad.

Magneto was a GAWD. Nothing more needs to be said.

This film wasn't an overindulgence of Wolverine or Mystique

Them sentinels were fukking beasts.

The Apocalypse cameo after the credits

Things I didn't like:
They gave Kitty Pryde the ability to send people back in time

They got the Wolverine/Stryker timeline all messed up. By the 70's, Wolverine would have had already met Stryker in Vietnam and been a part of the Weapon X squad with Sabretooth.

Overall, a really good movie. I'd argue that it's the best X-Men movie this far.

They gave Kitty Pryde that additional power in a way to pay homage to the original comic, since it was HER that was sent back in time. But, because nobody gives two shyts about Ellen Page being the center of it all, and the fact the timeline would have to go back BEFORE she was born, they had to use Wolverine. But in spite that, they still wanted to show some homage to the original by having her involved somehow. But in the spirit of the movie franchise, you can easily assume her mutant powers have evolved, much similar to Jean Grey's.

Also, they did NOT disrupt the timeline. The Vietnam War ENDED in 1974-75 a year or two prior to this. Not only that, in the ORIGINAL timeline, Stryker met Wolverine in 1975 and been on those special combat missions until 1979. The whole Wolverine Origins movie was based during the 80's.

Last edited:

61 Corpses

The Breh
Daps
Reppin
I really liked this movie. As someone who hasn't really liked any of the X-Men movies since X2, I went into the cinema expecting it to be shyt but I was thoroughly surprised.

Things I like:
Quicksilver's appearance in this was sick. The made him very powerful but also humourous since he's just a teen. I also like the little nod they had towards Magneto being his dad.

Magneto was a GAWD. Nothing more needs to be said.

This film wasn't an overindulgence of Wolverine or Mystique

Them sentinels were fukking beasts.

The Apocalypse cameo after the credits

Things I didn't like:
They gave Kitty Pryde the ability to send people back in time

They got the Wolverine/Stryker timeline all messed up. By the 70's, Wolverine would have had already met Stryker in Vietnam and been a part of the Weapon X squad with Sabretooth.

Overall, a really good movie. I'd argue that it's the best X-Men movie this far.
Breh....

Throw that Wolverine: Origins timeline in the bushes :camby:

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Elaborate breh

It's kinda hard to summarize because what doesn't work for me might work for you.

Most of it boils down to me just not being a big fan of Singer's vision I guess. Personally I just don't think he communicates ideas very well on screen a lot of the time. On top of that I don't think he has the ability to compose iconic visuals. All of the action, all of the set pieces in this movie were all very forgettable to me. There were moments in the future scenes where it looked like they were all standing on a fukkin soundstage.

Also I guess I wasn't a huge fan of the story. One thing about it I wasn't a fan of was the fact that so much of the story centered around Mystique and yet I cared absolutely nothing about her. Jennifer Lawrence might be a semi hot piece of ass and she's fun to look at for a few seconds but she wasn't even trying here. If she didn't believe it then I didn't believe it.

All in all I just didn't like the way this thing moved. Very slow, not very methodical, lots of exposition, long stretches of no action, not much of a compelling story, etc.

As you can see the movie just didn't really work for me, just as I'm also sure you most likely believe the complete opposite of this post.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
It's kinda hard to summarize because what doesn't work for me might work for you.

Most of it boils down to me just not being a big fan of Singer's vision I guess. Personally I just don't think he communicates ideas very well on screen a lot of the time. On top of that I don't think he has the ability to compose iconic visuals. All of the action, all of the set pieces in this movie were all very forgettable to me. There were moments in the future scenes where it looked like they were all standing on a fukkin soundstage.

Also I guess I wasn't a huge fan of the story. One thing about it I wasn't a fan of was the fact that so much of the story centered around Mystique and yet I cared absolutely nothing about her. Jennifer Lawrence might be a semi hot piece of ass and she's fun to look at for a few seconds but she wasn't even trying here. If she didn't believe it then I didn't believe it.

All in all I just didn't like the way this thing moved. Very slow, not very methodical, lots of exposition, long stretches of no action, not much of a compelling story, etc.

As you can see the movie just didn't really work for me, just as I'm also sure you most likely believe the complete opposite of this post.

I agree with you on the soundstage part, i mean the scene in saigon, you can tell that was shot on a stage so we're in agreement there but it didn't take me out of it. But yeah if you can't get with Singer's vision or buy into the acting, it will be tough for you get into it so I respect where you coming form breh. He has a very deliberate pace with his X Men flicks and a certain way he wants to tell the story and the parts of said story he wants to emphasize and for him, he relies on the performances and the writing to create those iconic scenes you're talking about as opposed to the set pieces, which is definitely a directorial choice and not one everyone can get with. I thought Jennifer's performance was exactly what it needed to be, as she needed to play it all underneath the surface because she was torn between who she used to be and who she is now and because of it being a very internal thing, I think performances like that, especially when you're playing someone who is turning into a cold blooded killer, it is easy to see that performance and say they look bored or like they're not trying. So we disagree there but I completely understand where you're coming from breh.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I dont get how the sequel will have Apocalypse and feature the DOFP/FC cast.... Im assuming that story arc requires more time travel?

@MartyMcFly :lupe:

-DMP-

From what Singer has said when he was allowed to speak :russ:, Apocalypse will be set in the 80s and feature the FC cast or what is left of them and MAYBE wolverine which is possible because he exists in the 80s. Also Gambit will be introduced. So now you have the chance to make young versions of the OG cast or maybe they decide to cast the OG cast as their younger versions and with a little makeup and some CG techniques, it can be done.

D1renegade

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OK
I was dead set against seeing this, but these reviews have me questioning my convictions.
Plus there's apparently a cameo from the GAWD Cyclops!?
Looks like I'll be seeing this next week

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Good movie. Its definately up there with First class n I can see some saying that its better. I still cant get past how ugly they make mystique look n the fragile gay ass magneto. Glad Bishop was in it with his 2 speaking lines lol

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Singer crushed buildings :whew: movie was very good and well acted. In fact for me this is the best X-MEN movie that's been made. This could have easily been a huge clusterfukk with all the added characters but it felt smooth as fukk and organic(the way they implemented Stryker into the story :obama:) . All the references to the other movies makes me want to go back and watch them, X-2 in particular. James McAvoy acted his ass off in this, Xavier's character arc in this was really good. Fassbender and Jackman were really good to. That speech Magneto makes :lawd:. That third act :ohlawd: .

Quicksilver :ohlawd: we need that spinoff. The way they did Blink's powers :win: it looked really cool. Sentinel action was top notch as well. I'll give a 9/10. A top comic book movie for me, flew by seamlessly. Also a movie that did time-travel well.

The only things I didn't like were the bone claws :camby:, don't care how they do iit but in the next one he needs the metal for the whole movie. Also felt that Magneto should have been in it a bit more along with Quicksilver and Trask.

Was anyone :damn::JerichoOh: :lupe:
When it looked like Stryker had recovered Wolverines body, I thought he was in serious trouble, but then they revealed it was Mystique:youngsabo:

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I agree for the most part. Movie was way to slow in the middle. Seemed like it took place in like only 3 locations and they kept switching back and fourth between them to waste 2 hours( The future base, the white house mostly). If you watched the previews you have seen where 90% of the movie and action takes place. They never established anything in this movie either.. where was this future base they were at? who sent and controls the sentinels? Who the hell are these other xmen in the future? bishop and them were just there as window dressing and 5 minute cameos for the wolverine mystique and beast show... And of all the xmen why so much screen time on beast?? nobody cares about this dude and his special effects are the worst. Same with mystique. This movie was so contained and narrowly focused on a select few characters and scenes (ie the future base) that it didn't feel epic at all and I couldn't really get into or care about the overall story.

61 Corpses

The Breh
Daps
Reppin
I agree for the most part. Movie was way to slow in the middle. Seemed like it took place in like only 3 locations and they kept switching back and fourth between them to waste 2 hours( The future base, the white house mostly). If you watched the previews you have seen where 90% of the movie and action takes place. They never established anything in this movie either.. where was this future base they were at? who sent and controls the sentinels? Who the hell are these other xmen in the future? bishop and them were just there as window dressing and 5 minute cameos for the wolverine mystique and beast show... And of all the xmen why so much screen time on beast?? nobody cares about this dude and his special effects are the worst. Same with mystique. This movie was so contained and narrowly focused on a select few characters and scenes (ie the future base) that it didn't feel epic at all and I couldn't really get into or care about the overall story.
Most of the backstory to the events in the future were posted on 25moments.com
And the backstory of the past and the JFK assassination was on thebentbullet.com
They should of did a better job promoting those sites :ehh: