Juice WRLD Dead @ 21 After Suffering Seizure (RIP)

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
That way of thinking is outdated and incorrect. Science literally disagrees with what you are saying:

How addiction hijacks the brain - Harvard Health

But, hey, if you're smarter than the scientists who actually study this for a living, then okay :hubie:
No it actually isn't, and what you actually are parroting is the modern psuedo scientific cult of irresponsiblity.
check out other scientific studies.

Addiction is not a disease
Tim Holden, MMed (Psych), Psychiatrist and assistant professor
Author information Copyright and License information Disclaimer
This article has been cited by other articles in PMC.
The statement, in a CMAJ editorial, 1 that addiction is a disease is not supported by the evidence and reads more like a political policy statement than a reasoned intellectual argument.

There has been a steady erosion of individual responsibility and loss of any concept of personal blame for bad choices. To quote comedian Flip Wilson, “It’s not my fault — the devil made me do it.” Calls to destigmatize addiction remove any sense of personal responsibility.

Addiction does not meet the criteria specified for a core disease entity, namely the presence of a primary measurable deviation from physiologic or anatomical norm.2 Addiction is self-acquired and is not transmissible, contagious, autoimmune, hereditary, degenerative or traumatic. Treatment consists of little more than stopping a given behaviour. True diseases worsen if left untreated. A patient with cancer is not cured if locked in a cell, whereas an alcoholic is automatically cured. No access to alcohol means no alcoholism. A person with schizophrenia will not remit if secluded. Sepsis will spread and Parkinson disease will worsen if left untreated. Criminal courts do not hand down verdicts of “not guilty by virtue of mental illness” to drunk drivers who kill pedestrians.

At best, addiction is a maladaptive response to an underlying condition, such as depression or a nonspecific inability to cope with the world.

The study on the neurobiology of addiction3 referred to in the CMAJ editorial1 looked at the brains of people with addiction after they had damaged them by their behaviour — brains were not examined in their premorbid state. This is analogous to saying that the sequelae of a traumatic brain injury were themselves the cause of said brain injury. Ironically, the title of the referenced article uses the term “disorders” not “diseases.”

Medicalizing addiction has not led to any management advances at the individual level. The need for helping or treating people with addictions is not in doubt, but a social problem requires social interventions.

Drug Addiction Is a Matter of Difficult Choices - NYTimes.com

science also shows addiction doesn't eliminate choice

The most common correlates of quitting were financial pressures, the threat of legal sanctions and the obligations of family life, particularly the expectations and needs of children and parents. Just as this pattern of correlates does not fit any plausible understanding of disease, it also fails to support conventional understandings of will power. A toxic mix of immediate pleasure and delayed penalties motivate excessive drug use, and the eventual use-dependent increases in costs and decreases in benefits bring addiction to a halt.

That most addicts end up quitting does not preclude the need for interventions. Most addicts keep using until the penalties of excessive use become overwhelming. The signs are the staggering monetary costs addiction exacts on society and the tragic personal costs for those closest to drug users, particularly children. Successful anti-addiction interventions emphasize that addicts can stop using drugs, encourage activities that can compete with drug use, promote fellowship, provide positive role models (addicts who have quit), offer opportunities for service to others and arrange immediate consequences for sobriety and relapse. These are common sense solutions to problems in living.

What research shows is that those we label addicts have the capacity to take control of their lives. It is time to reformulate drug policy and addiction interventions on the basis of this well-established finding.

Things won't get better if we as a community , keep believing in the non-sense determinism, psuedo science of addiction put out by big pharma

• Dap
Reactions: ISO

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
I wish this new-gen wasn't doing the drugs they do. I remember one of my homies died from doing coke and poppin pills and his heart just stopped. Damn!

born of fire

sherri martel stan account
Supporter
Daps
There is nothing insensitive or rude about what I've said.
If you feel that way I'm sorry for you, I hope you are sensitive to what I'm saying because of your lifestyle
man where did i say i did drugs. i dont do drugs.

you should know when is the right time to say things. saying something like what you said not even 24hrs after he's died is insensitive

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
man where did i say i did drugs. i dont do drugs.

you should know when is the right time to say things. saying something like what you said not even 24hrs after he's died is insensitive
This is a forum, I didn't shyt on the man, but the fact is he allowed himself to take part in actions that led to his death, self-destructive actions.
Time to stop p*ssy footing about negative behavior that costs you our life.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
No it actually isn't, and what you actually are parroting is the modern psuedo scientific cult of irresponsiblity.
check out other scientific studies.

Tim Holden, MMed (Psych), Psychiatrist and assistant professor
Author information Copyright and License information Disclaimer
This article has been cited by other articles in PMC.
The statement, in a CMAJ editorial, 1 that addiction is a disease is not supported by the evidence and reads more like a political policy statement than a reasoned intellectual argument.

There has been a steady erosion of individual responsibility and loss of any concept of personal blame for bad choices. To quote comedian Flip Wilson, “It’s not my fault — the devil made me do it.” Calls to destigmatize addiction remove any sense of personal responsibility.

Addiction does not meet the criteria specified for a core disease entity, namely the presence of a primary measurable deviation from physiologic or anatomical norm.2 Addiction is self-acquired and is not transmissible, contagious, autoimmune, hereditary, degenerative or traumatic. Treatment consists of little more than stopping a given behaviour. True diseases worsen if left untreated. A patient with cancer is not cured if locked in a cell, whereas an alcoholic is automatically cured. No access to alcohol means no alcoholism. A person with schizophrenia will not remit if secluded. Sepsis will spread and Parkinson disease will worsen if left untreated. Criminal courts do not hand down verdicts of “not guilty by virtue of mental illness” to drunk drivers who kill pedestrians.

At best, addiction is a maladaptive response to an underlying condition, such as depression or a nonspecific inability to cope with the world.

The study on the neurobiology of addiction3 referred to in the CMAJ editorial1 looked at the brains of people with addiction after they had damaged them by their behaviour — brains were not examined in their premorbid state. This is analogous to saying that the sequelae of a traumatic brain injury were themselves the cause of said brain injury. Ironically, the title of the referenced article uses the term “disorders” not “diseases.”

Medicalizing addiction has not led to any management advances at the individual level. The need for helping or treating people with addictions is not in doubt, but a social problem requires social interventions.

Drug Addiction Is a Matter of Difficult Choices - NYTimes.com

science also shows addiction doesn't eliminate choice

The most common correlates of quitting were financial pressures, the threat of legal sanctions and the obligations of family life, particularly the expectations and needs of children and parents. Just as this pattern of correlates does not fit any plausible understanding of disease, it also fails to support conventional understandings of will power. A toxic mix of immediate pleasure and delayed penalties motivate excessive drug use, and the eventual use-dependent increases in costs and decreases in benefits bring addiction to a halt.

That most addicts end up quitting does not preclude the need for interventions. Most addicts keep using until the penalties of excessive use become overwhelming. The signs are the staggering monetary costs addiction exacts on society and the tragic personal costs for those closest to drug users, particularly children. Successful anti-addiction interventions emphasize that addicts can stop using drugs, encourage activities that can compete with drug use, promote fellowship, provide positive role models (addicts who have quit), offer opportunities for service to others and arrange immediate consequences for sobriety and relapse. These are common sense solutions to problems in living.

What research shows is that those we label addicts have the capacity to take control of their lives. It is time to reformulate drug policy and addiction interventions on the basis of this well-established finding.

Things won't get better if we as a community , keep believing in the non-sense determinism, psuedo science of addiction put out by big pharma
Wow, breh, you don’t get it at all :whew:

Just because somebody can choose to go to rehab and then get better, does not mean that addiction does not change the brain. Rehab is a way of getting over the disease. All your two articles say is that because somebody can go to AA and then quit drinking, that means addiction is a choice.

:dead:

Nah, that doesn’t refute anything from that article I posted. Matter of fact, your two articles do not even address the issues found in my article.

Also, it appears you didn’t even read your quotes, because article one says:

So depression and these underlying conditions leads to one to form the maladaptive response of drug use, which then leads them to get addicted, which does change the brain (as shown in my article and not disputed at all in yours).

shyt, I guess depression is your fault too? I guess everything in the world is a choice, for you, right? :mjlol:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Wow, breh, you don’t get it at all :whew:

Just because somebody can choose to go to rehab and then get better, does not mean that addiction does not change the brain. Rehab is a way of getting over the disease. All your two articles say is that because somebody can go to AA and then quit drinking, that means addiction is a choice.

:dead:

Nah, that doesn’t refute anything from that article I posted. Matter of fact, your two articles do not even address the issues found in my article.

Also, it appears you didn’t even read your quotes, because article one says:

So depression and these underlying conditions leads to one to form the maladaptive response of drug use, which then leads them to get addicted, which does change the brain (as shown in my article and not disputed at all in yours).

shyt, I guess depression is your fault too? I guess everything in the world is a choice, for you, right? :mjlol:
Both of my articles fundamentally disagree with the underlying contention that your articles posit.
they both say that it isn't genetic, but actually behavior based.
They state it isn't controlled by biologically but by human choice and the concept of free will and personal responsibility.

I know for a lot of you out there that is offensive, but it is the truth.
Stop giving addicts a way out, their lifestyle is a choice of their own making, and when they don't want to do it anymore they won't, like most addicts.

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
Maybe this will teach the younger generation that all this drinking/drugging off hard shyt has a price to pay; that price is your life.

All that standing in the corner popping pills and holding cups of posion cause it looks cool is ridiculous. What happen to just taking it easy?

This current young generation has a fixation on (creating) having an image of "coolness" even if it kills them smh. You try to tell them anything many will catch an attitude or ignore you because it goes against looking "cool" soooo there's not much else to be done here until they stop the arrogance and listen.
Ya'll think people do drugs because it makes them look "cool"? Maybe some but far more don't. Getting high is an escape from depression, anxiety, etc etc. Stop making like people just doing the shyt to be cool brah.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Both of my articles fundamentally disagree with the underlying contention that your articles posit.
they both say that it isn't genetic, but actually behavior based.
They state it isn't controlled by biologically but by human choice and the concept of free will and personal responsibility.

I know for a lot of you out there that is offensive, but it is the truth.
Stop giving addicts a way out, their lifestyle is a choice of their own making, and when they don't want to do it anymore they won't, like most addicts.
Those articles do not even address the fact that changes in the brain occur when addiction takes place. For example, abuse of the reward system, hijacking the pleasure principle, etc.

You’re just saying shyt. Articles and scientists have produced real evidence and real proof that addiction changes the brain.

Here, look at all these sources

Addiction - Wikipedia

Just because a small minority of scientists think differently, that doesn’t mean their opinions are right. You can find a small number of people that will say anything. After all 97% of climate scientists believe in man-made climate change. But, 3% don’t. Going by your logic, we should only listen to that 3%. :ohhh:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Ya'll think people do drugs because it makes them look "cool"? Maybe some but far more don't. Getting high is an escape from depression, anxiety, etc etc. Stop making like people just doing the shyt to be cool brah.

He started using them because his hero Future said so. From his own words. :unimpressed:

Now people are seeing the long term consequences of drug use. At best, you will be like Lil Wayne, pushing 40 and resembles a zombie.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Those articles do not even address the fact that changes in the brain occur when addiction takes place. For example, abuse of the reward system, hijacking the pleasure principle, etc.

You’re just saying shyt. Articles and scientists have produced real evidence and real proof that addiction changes the brain.

Here, look at all these sources

Addiction - Wikipedia

Just because a small minority of scientists think differently, that doesn’t mean their opinions are right. You can find a small number of people that will say anything. After all 97% of climate scientists believe in man-made climate change. But, 3% don’t. Going by your logic, we should only listen to that 3%. :ohhh:
You literally cited an artcle that daid the brain studies are done poorly in that they dint even take into account the brain firmation before addiction, on top of that there are studies that show the dopamine release occurs in actions people enjoy that arent addictive and return to normal after time.

Its sad how much some of you want to fight for the self destructive psuedo scientific cover as to why people should not take responsibility for their actions.