JRPGS Being Dead Appreciation

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Good for you. No thanks I don't want every game to be bloodborne. Bloodborne is a fine game but don't you think people actually want cut-scenes and story in their rpgs?? There's something called variety. Dark Souls, Fallouttt, Mass Effect, Witcher etc fills your void for what you want. Brehs who want heavy story, talking, dungeons, fancy battle systems etc have more than enough to choose from. I don't get when dudes want ONE type of game to exist like that's fukking selfish. It's like someone saying Hip-Hop should only have lyricists Lupe, Nas, Jay-z, Kendrick making albums because everything else "sucks" in your opinion. Trap Music and catchy songs didn't stop classics like GKMC from coming out.
I'd rather play a game with an interesting story and characters than Bloodborne. Part of the reason Bloodborne is still in the wrapper over here is because It's a Souls game with no real noteworthy story to hook me in.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'd rather play a game with an interesting story and characters than Bloodborne. Part of the reason Bloodborne is still in the wrapper over here is because It's a Souls game with no real noteworthy story to hook me in.
I heard Bloodborne has a good story but it's one of those games with little to no story telling so you have to kind of look it up on your own time. I don't really play BB for that so I like it for what it is, a challenging rpg game.

You basically have these gamers nowadays who shun anything that has more than 2 minutes of cut-scenes or a heavy story because it takes away from their precious "gameplay". :stopitslime:

Camile.Bidan

Banned
Daps
I heard Bloodborne has a good story but it's one of those games with little to no story telling so you have to kind of look it up on your own time. I don't really play BB for that so I like it for what it is, a challenging rpg game.

You basically have these gamers nowadays who shun anything that has more than 2 minutes of cut-scenes or a heavy story because it takes away from their precious "gameplay". :stopitslime:

Why call it game then? I was born in 80s, I don't understand the appeal of cutscenes.

I mean minecraft was such breath of fresh air in industry. The survival mode in minecraft is an RPG at its purest form. I spent at least 500 hours ( just survivor mode ) in minecraft and was late 20s at the time. I don't get why it is shunned on this board

Last edited:
Daps
Why you using hyperbole like that?:stopitslime: seriously what are you doing?:what:

The problem with "cinematic" games is that they play themselves and take the fun out of things. Remember when you had a timer and had to escape the base before it blows, Yeah it's a cut-scene now, complete with shaky camera.
How about when you used to fight the boss? Nope it's a cut-scene and the boss kills himself:rudy: with shaky camera.
Oh what about platforming? I don't even enjoy plat-formers yet i beat Super Mario World and Super Mario 64:myman:
Today you walk to an edge and press the action button for a cut-scene of the small ass jump:dahell: For real why even bother putting that in the game:why: It's like the devs had no faith in you or some shyt:beli: oh yeah theirs shaky cam during the jump:aicmon:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Why call it game then? I was born in 80s, I don't understand the appeal of cutscenes.
I was born in the 80s and I do. Video games can be another form of story telling placing you in the story instead of you just watching someone else's story.

These are pieces of software that you interact with. If all you wanna play is stuff like Tetris so be it but don't knock the other side of the coin because you like something different.

Camile.Bidan

Banned
Daps
I was born in the 80s and I do. Video games can be another form of story telling placing you in the story instead of you just watching someone else's story.

These are pieces of software that you interact with. If all you wanna play is stuff like Tetris so be it but don't knock the other side of the coin because you like something different.

RPGs should be about creating your own story. I did multiple playthroughs in games like bloodborne or fallout because I actually Role-Played. I used my imagination to create a character with his/her own objectives and personality. Like, my third play through in fallout 3, I played as a black women who was upset at the oppression of the pre-war era, so She launched attach on all white NPCs. The genius of Bethesda games is that the main story is so weak and non-sensical, but you don't even have to play main story to Role-Play. There are so many side-quests with decision trees that can fit your own character's pre-determined personality.

My first play through in bloodborne I played as an arcane Mage, who stopped at nothing to obtain the greatest power in the world. She was ruthless, and used NPCs as pawns. Then in my second play through, I was vileblood Who felt sympathy for yharnamites, he helped NPCs and chose not to fight last boss.

Story-driven games destroy the RPG experience. Old school JRPGs had linear stories, but there were so many characters, abilities and classes, that there was still a fair amount gameplay options and freedom in gameplay.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Why you using hyperbole like that?:stopitslime: seriously what are you doing?:what:

The problem with "cinematic" games is that they play themselves and take the fun out of things. Remember when you had a timer and had to escape the base before it blows, Yeah it's a cut-scene now, complete with shaky camera.
Breh you're argument would be better if you named some examples of JRPGs that are like what you're talking about. Instead you're just making a blanket statement about who knows what. Nothing you're saying here is true either because not all games are like what you're talking about.
How about when you used to fight the boss? Nope it's a cut-scene and the boss kills himself:rudy: with shaky camera.
and what game is that?
Oh what about platforming? I don't even enjoy plat-formers yet i beat Super Mario World and Super Mario 64:myman:
Ok?
Today you walk to an edge and press the action button for a cut-scene of the small ass jump:dahell: For real why even bother putting that in the game:why: It's like the devs had no faith in you or some shyt:beli: oh yeah theirs shaky cam during the jump:aicmon:
What game?? Again you're not naming anything you're just complaining about a very specific type of game that's hardly the norm. There's literally a bunch of games out and you name none here. I don't know what you're talking about.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
why call it a game?? I didn't know games weren't supposed to be one way. Games evolve. Did you shun TLOU because it had lots of texts?? Was Metal Gear Solid not a game?? How about Shenmue?? Shenmue is "gamey" as hell yet it has tons of those things you claim take away from games.

I mean minecraft was such breath of fresh air in industry. The survival mode in minecraft is an RPG at its purest form. I spent at least 500 hours ( just survivor mode ) in minecraft and was late 20s at the time. I don't get why it is shunned on this board
Minecraft is a game that has a certain appeal. I don't really like creating levels in games and building stuff. I just want to play.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
RPGs should be about creating your own story. I did multiple playthroughs in games like bloodborne or fallout because I actually Role-Played. I used my imagination to create a character with his/her own objectives and personality. Like, my third play through in fallout 3, I played as a black women who was upset at the oppression of the pre-war era, so She launched attach on all white NPCs. The genius of Bethesda games is that the main story is so weak and non-sensical, but you don't even have to play main story to Role-Play. There are so many side-quests with decision trees that can fit your own character's pre-determined personality.

My first play through in bloodborne I played as an arcane Mage, who stopped at nothing to obtain the greatest power in the world. She was ruthless, and used NPCs as pawns. Then in my second play through, I was vileblood Who felt sympathy for yharnamites, he helped NPCs and chose not to fight last boss.

Story-driven games destroy the RPG experience. Old school JRPGs had linear stories, but there were so many characters, abilities and classes, that there was still a fair amount gameplay options and freedom in gameplay.
Different people wanna play different games. Your personal taste is just that You seem to have this believe that games should only cater to you and your taste. That's not the way the world works. I don't like Hockey or Nascar but you won't here me ranting they shouldn't exist because I'm not into them.

Daps
Breh you're argument would be better if you named some examples of JRPGs that are like what you're talking about. Instead you're just making a blanket statement about who knows what. Nothing you're saying here is true either because not all games are like what you're talking about.
and what game is that?
Ok?
What game?? Again you're not naming anything you're just complaining about a very specific type of game that's hardly the norm. There's literally a bunch of games out and you name none here. I don't know what you're talking about.

Try and trick me into playing Jrpg's i been threw that genre in the bushes:camby:

Wrpg and Jrpg used to be in the same boat, all knowledge no skill, Fallout 2 = Final Fantasy whatever, slow ass games with walls of text that meant nothing. But then Fallout 3/Oblivion happened, Demons souls, Dragons Dogma, Skyrim. In short people hate limitations it's a human thing. Nobody likes being screwed over because their accuracy was at 42. People want skill not chance.

Take Kotor a Wrpg which Bombs the player with a list of perks with vague meanings, then tells the player to pick 4...That's a knowledge standpoint. The devs are assuming that i know which are useful or which perk my play-style will even support, in the beginning of the game:mindblown: When in reality most players won't even know how to play yet, nor understand what choice they are making. Oh yeah no re-spec:rudy:

I think Arpg are just getting popular to be honest, Dogma and DkS are japanese made but not Jrpgs, while Wrpg long had Arpg elements with games like Diablo.

But resident evil 4 and mass effect had gap jumping cut-scenes, shyt mass effect used it to push conversations, i noticed that bioware sucks.