JRPGS Being Dead Appreciation

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
Its not dead but its in decline. The quality we get these days is far from it's golden era.

Decline? Nah, JRPG style characters will never get old. Its the reason people watch Naruto and everything else. People like the ridiculous hair colors and androgynous characters. White hair and red eyes will forever be the staple of many an RPG, to the point that Mass Effect gave the "red eyes" to Shepard.

The_Phonz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Detroit, MI
There are plenty of JRPGs slated to come out this year
Trails of Cold Steel
Tales of Zestiria
Disgaea 5
Persona 5
Xenobalde X
Stella Glow
The Legend of Legacy
Trails in the Sky 2

Probably next year
Final Fantasy XV
Star Ocean 5
Trails of Cold Steel 2
Kingdom Hearts
Bravely Second: End Layer
:blessed:

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Bravely Default
Fire Emblem
Xenoblade Chronicles
Ni No Kuni

The Last Story

Keep hatin' though
:sas2:

You're a fukkboy if you can't at least respect the game design of these titles. All some of the best titles of this generation hands down. Never played Last Story though so can't comment.

Camile.Bidan

Banned
Daps
What you eat don't make me shyt

I was playing dragon warrior and star tropics when you were still in your father's nutsack. I played book of Y's, secret of mana, phantasy star, shinning force and chrono trigger when they came out. I had all those chrono trigger posters, that came package with the game, in my room until I was 13 years old.

I also played suikoden 1, 2 and wild arms before ff7 came out.

I used to love JRPGs, but they lost their appeal even before PS2.

JRPGs used to take risks, like the original Revolutions Persona on the PS1, or Parasyte Eve, or even something like Xenogears.

Then some time in the late 90s, thanks to weebos like you, it become a metro sexual fakkit genre. That I was embarrassed to even be associated with.

Once I saw the trailer for FF8 and saw that it was some bullshyt love story, that was beginning of the end for me.

Suiken

What time it is?
Daps
Reppin
PH
I was playing dragon warrior and star tropics when you were still in your father's nutsack. I played book of Y's, secret of mana, phantasy star, shinning force and chrono trigger when they came out. I had all those chrono trigger posters, that came package with the game, in my room until I was 13 years old.

I also played suikoden 1, 2 and wild arms before ff7 came out.

I used to love JRPGs, but they lost their appeal even before PS2.

JRPGs used to take risks, like the original Revolutions Persona on the PS1, or Parasyte Eve, or even something like Xenogears.

Then some time in the late 90s, thanks to weebos like you, it become a metro sexual fakkit genre. That I was embarrassed to even be associated with.

Once I saw the trailer for FF8 and saw that it was some bullshyt love story, that was beginning of the end for me.

This is an example of a close minded mentality. Have you even tried any ps2 titles?

Shadow hearts?
Suikoden III?
Dark Cloud?
Xenosaga?
SMT Nocturne?

You gotta stop that generalization bullshyt because one title does not represent the whole genre. You sure is an old ass gamer, but you have the mentality of these modern COD fakkits who shyt on games they havent even played.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is an example of a close minded mentality. Have you even tried any ps2 titles?

Shadow hearts?
Suikoden III?
Dark Cloud?
Xenosaga?
SMT Nocturne?

You gotta stop that generalization bullshyt because one title does not represent the whole genre. You sure is an old ass gamer, but you have the mentality of these modern COD fakkits who shyt on games they havent even played.
:mjlol: Dude wouldn't last a day playing that.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Then some time in the late 90s, thanks to weebos like you, it become a metro sexual fakkit genre. That I was embarrassed to even be associated with
Anime may have been ruined by otaku but JRPGs have pretty much never let western audiences dictate the direction they went it. It became a meterosexual whatever you said because of it's home country not western players.

You obviously have no idea what the hell you're talking about unless your entire impressions of the genre is based off the main characters in the Final Fantasy series because that's pretty much the only meterosexual character dominated series. Outside of that and maybe the Tales of series you don't see all those fruity looking main characters.

Final Fantasy 8 was hardly a love story. Did it have romance in it? Yeah but beyond that Final Fantasy 4 and 6 had romance in it so the shyt was nothing new.

Camile.Bidan

Banned
Daps

Shadow hearts?
Suikoden III?
Dark Cloud?
Xenosaga?
SMT Nocturne?

Suikoden III was decent.

Xenosaga was the last straw. I pre-ordered that game. Once I got home and realized that I watched 2 hours worth of cutscenes before any actual gameplay began, I immediately sold it to gamestop and took the 20 dollar loss.

JRPGS weren't games anymore they became slightly interactive movies if that.

Camile.Bidan

Banned
Daps
Anime may have been ruined by otaku but JRPGs have pretty much never let western audiences dictate the direction they went it. It became a meterosexual whatever you said because of it's home country not western players.

You obviously have no idea what the hell you're talking about unless your entire impressions of the genre is based off the main characters in the Final Fantasy series because that's pretty much the only meterosexual character dominated series. Outside of that and maybe the Tales of series you don't see all those fruity looking main characters.

Final Fantasy 8 was hardly a love story. Did it have romance in it? Yeah but beyond that Final Fantasy 4 and 6 had romance in it so the shyt was nothing new.

I tried lost odyssey on the 360. It was way too weird for me.

I never played FF8. It was too weird looking and FFT was taking up all my free time.

the last JRPG that had that Classic Japanese adventure feel was Skies of Arcadia.

After bloodborne, fallout 3, mass effect and demon souls, which are true RPGs. I can't go back.

One thing I liked about JRPGs was the stat systems and the ability to grind away for your own objectives.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Suikoden III was decent.

Xenosaga was the last straw. I pre-ordered that game. Once I got home and realized that I watched 2 hours worth of cutscenes before any actual gameplay began, I immediately sold it to gamestop and took the 20 dollar loss.

JRPGS weren't games anymore they became slightly interactive movies if that.
Now you're contradicting yourself because Xenogears had excessively long cut scenes and yet you praise it. Having missed out on Xenosaga means you likely didn't play Xenosaga Episode III which is among the better JRPGs ever made.
I never played FF8. It was too weird looking and FFT was taking up all my free time.

the last JRPG that had that Classic Japanese adventure feel was Skies of Arcadia.
Final Fantasy IX had the classic feel. So did Ni no Kuni.

Last edited:

Camile.Bidan

Banned
Daps
Now you're contradicting yourself because Xenogears had excessively long cut scenes and yet you praise it. Having missed out on Xenosaga means you likely didn't play Xenosaga Episode III which is among the better JRPGs ever made.

The second part of xenogears was a long story that I could Read quickly. In the first part, There still was a game world map with villages and dungeons and random encounters, which I liked. There weren't that many cutscenes. In fact, I remember 2--the ending and the opening with starship that crashes.

I had no problem with random encounters and grind. I liked the numbers game and loot hunting.

Every generation of JRPGs started taking that stuff away. First it was the stats (IIRC FF8 had limited spell casts), then they started taking away the game world map, then the optional loot-dungeons and hidden areas were taken away. Then it came the long cut-scenes, and BS convoluted stories.

WRPGs maintained all those greats things that made RPGs actually fun. They kept That sense of exploration and adventure.

Bloodborne I think is the ideal next step for all RPGs. I takes away the BS that I hate about modern games: story, that cinematic feel, cut-scenes, too much talking, and too much hand holding. I can spend hours going through chalice dungeons trying to find rare gems.

Daps
Reppin
Canada
Only played the demo of legend of dragoon. I regret missing that game, I also regret not getting it when it was on discount off psn.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The second part of xenogears was a long story that I could Read quickly. In the first part, There still was a game world map with villages and dungeons and random encounters, which I liked. There weren't that many cutscenes. In fact, I remember 2--the ending and the opening with starship that crashes.

I had no problem with random encounters and grind. I liked the numbers game and loot hunting.

Every generation of JRPGs started taking that stuff away. First it was the stats (IIRC FF8 had limited spell casts), then they started taking away the game world map, then the optional loot-dungeons and hidden areas were taken away. Then it came the long cut-scenes, and BS convoluted stories.

WRPGs maintained all those greats things that made RPGs actually fun. They kept That sense of exploration and adventure.

Bloodborne I think is the ideal next step for all RPGs. I takes away the BS that I hate about modern games: story, that cinematic feel, cut-scenes, too much talking, and too much hand holding. I can spend hours going through chalice dungeons trying to find rare gems.
Good for you. No thanks I don't want every game to be bloodborne. Bloodborne is a fine game but don't you think people actually want cut-scenes and story in their rpgs?? There's something called variety. Dark Souls, Fallouttt, Mass Effect, Witcher etc fills your void for what you want. Brehs who want heavy story, talking, dungeons, fancy battle systems etc have more than enough to choose from. I don't get when dudes want ONE type of game to exist like that's fukking selfish. It's like someone saying Hip-Hop should only have lyricists Lupe, Nas, Jay-z, Kendrick making albums because everything else "sucks" in your opinion. Trap Music and catchy songs didn't stop classics like GKMC from coming out.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Only played the demo of legend of dragoon. I regret missing that game, I also regret not getting it when it was on discount off psn.
I skipped out on playing this game even though I own a physical copy. One of out local game shops had it for $10 years ago and I bought it. Didn't have the box though.