Jokic is really about to be a 3peat MVP

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
It was literally said all throughout the 2000s that you can’t be MVP if you don’t win 50 plus games. You really do need to tone down the condescending way you talk to people. It’s a message board, and you’re not that important. If someone is being a clown then you need to relax. And as always, you leave out key details as if MVP in the 70s was MVP in the 2000s when most people here were coming of age. You literally had people saying it’s a “team award” - including people who won it (i.e. Kobe and LeBron). Kareem won MVP while missing the playoffs when players voted. There are three players in history to have won the MVP award without winning at least 50 games since the media took over the vote in 79-80. Moses Malone did it twice - last in 1982 and then we have had Jokic and WestBrook in recent years.

In other words, an entire generation never saw the media anoint someone as MVP who had not won at least 50 games and for you to pretend that there’s no basis for @Jplaya2023 perspective is just your usual pompous and seemingly googled way of thinking about basketball history. We all lived through that in real time, and the NBA players themselves literally created their own award and gave it to Harden to express their displeasure with how the media had awarded MVP, and every other award.
The irony :skip:

Now let's see how loquacious you get...

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
This is such a reductive way to measure MVP worth.

Both Embiid's and Giannis' respective teams only won three more games, and neither of their teams had a top-ranked record in their conference. Jokic carried his team without his two main options all season. You can't compare what happened during Harden's season either because those circumstances are only isolated to that season; Giannis won that season because his team had the best record in the league.

There's no inconsistency about it.

I don't know why y'all keep comparing box score stats as if that's the only thing that's weighed when discussing who's deserving.

How did he not deserve it? How many Nuggets game did you watch last season?
The Coli only wants Embiid to have gotten the MVP because a) they like him way more and b) they feel he's owed SOME award for what he's been so far, especially since he didn't win ROY.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
So if voters give it to Giannis because jokic didnt do well in the playoffs last year and then the nuggets make the finals this year then what? You gonna give next years mvp to jokic because he got over the hump in the playoffs this year?

Everyone has to be comfortable with it being a regular season award or the voting has to take place after the playoffs are over in the offseason
I think it's all nonsensical. My problem though is that after back to back MVPs it was basically determined coming into the season that Giannis had little to no chance at a third MVP due to his playoff flameouts. Yet now that it comes to Jokic that's no longer a problem.

The other problem is MVPs were rarely given out to players on teams that weren't dominant during the regular season. Last year was a weird year due to their being no good MVP candidates on the dominant regular season teams. But if Jokic wins again this year that would be 3 straight MVPs without being on a team believed to even be a title contender. I thought Giannis should've won it last year and is one of the frontrunners this year.

Bar Razor

All Star
Daps
Playoffs should never matter at all for regular season MVP. The reason why should be obvious.

Jokic is definitely in the running for MVP so far. Though Doncic has a strong argument, too.

I suspect that if it’s close at the end of the season the voters will choose Doncic just to break Jokic’s streak.

But I don’t think made up narratives like “no one else has won 3 in a row” should influence the vote in a given year.

Yesterdays price ain’t today’s price. And yesterday’s MVP arguments got bullshyt to do with today’s MVP arguments.
As of today, Doncic doesn't have a strong argument when his team is the 10th seed. If that changes in the coming months he will but not right now.

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
then why is it emphasized for greats like Jordan and Kobe?

especially when you "cant count rings" as a fair measure of someone's greatness.
Jordan never won MVP every year but it was pretty much assumed he was the best player even when other guys won it. Kobe only has one, but his status as a player was never in question just because he didn't win a regular season award. That question can only be answered by someone who puts importance on the award itself. I personally think Giannis has been the best player in the league for about 3-4 years now, he only has 2 MVPs, doesn't really change his status as a player in my eyes.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
As of today, Doncic doesn't have a strong argument when his team is the 10th seed. If that changes in the coming months he will but not right now.
I don’t care about team record when it comes to mvp.

If you’re playing at a high level, that speaks for you.

Team record is exactly that. The team.

The people who say “if he’s so good why isn’t the team better?” are people who just don’t get it.

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
Jordan never won MVP every year but it was pretty much assumed he was the best player even when other guys won it. Kobe only has one, but his status as a player was never in question just because he didn't win a regular season award. That question can only be answered by someone who puts importance on the award itself. I personally think Giannis has been the best player in the league for about 3-4 years now, he only has 2 MVPs, doesn't really change his status as a player in my eyes.
3 of his titles were also won in the same years as his MVPs (91, 96, 98)

I think if you can dominate the regular season, it translates into wanting to win more in the post-season and I think Jokic should at least be sniffing a finals appearance if hes this dominant on the floor in general