Jokic is really about to be a 3peat MVP

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Glad I don’t have a vote because it damn sure wouldn’t be going to him.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
injuries are a problem too. if Steph wasn't injured and the GSW weren't coasting you could add him to the mix. Teams that coast aren't gonna get many regular season awards. Remember the Bulls would win min. 60 games a year so of course jordan would always have a case etc.

T.he I.nformant

1st Ballot HOF Teller
Daps
Reppin
Wherever nikkas need to be told on
You know what you're right what I said was premature, but I can't help but think about how he gets bounced out of the playoffs. I know the MVP is a regular season award, but that shyt still can't leave my mind and I don't think multiple-time MVPs should be getting put out like that. At least Giannis has won a chip and Tatum went to the finals and so has Booker. I just think it's a waste giving it to him only for him to be gone in the second or third round. Even though the Nuggets lead the west they still have too many puzzling losses that tell me they ain't ready yet.
I probably watch more Nuggets games than the average NBA fan (and still not as much as I’d like to because of stupid Altitude) so I’m aware of some of these puzzling losses and I’d be lying if I said it doesn’t make me question whether these Nuggets are actually ready to contend for a championship. But I feel like every single team has had these kind of losses. So the question is why do you hold this against Jokic in a way you don’t to these other MVP candidates? You seem to want to factor postseason success into whether someone should be MVP but like you acknowledge—it’s a regular season award and we don’t have a crystal ball that tell us how teams will perform in the postseason. You also seem to want past seasons to play apart in the consideration but that’s flawed too. for example, there are folks that were arguing the case for Book (or CP3) to win the MVP last year because they came off the heels of an NBA Finals appearance to win 64 games and nab the number 1 seed in the West. And then what happened—they lost, albeit in 7 games, to Luka’s Mavs in the semis. Why aren’t you holding that against Book’s candidacy this year because of them being upset last year? And context is everything. Sure, I’ll concede that Jokic and the Nuggets have not had the kind of playoff success they were expected to have since the bubble but a lot of that is perhaps due to injuries. He didn’t have his number 1 or 2 or scoring options last year and they still managed to win 48 games and make it tough on the would-be champs. They’re not even fully healthy this year but again they are winning games. Remains to be seen how this year will shake out; I just don’t see how fans of basketball who actually watch games look at Jokic and come up with these takes and narratives that he doesn’t deserve to be mentioned in MVP convos because of blah blah blah.

Daps
Dude is having one of the best offensive seasons ever. It's sad people don't even realize how insanely talented this guy is.
No one is denying how talented he is. It’s just hypocritical how the standards for MVP keep changing every year based on narratives.

A bunch of guys have a legitimate argument for MVP this year. Making him the clear runaway favorite this early is crazy to me. You can make a string argument for 5 guys right now.

Braman

Superstar
Daps
He’s not winning it.

But the issue is modern stars missing games. Contrary to popular belief, MVP is usually pretty obvious. It only becomes hard to pick when the guys who *should* win it miss games. 2 years ago Embiid missed like 25 games and cost him his MVP when it would have been obvious (28 and 11 on a 1 seed).

Last year everybody forgets Ja. His narrative mirrored Derrick Rose’ mvp. Team comes out of nowhere without a star wingman and they’re a top 2 seed. He would have cake walked to mvp. He misses ~25 games

This year it’s pretty obviously Giannis if it wasn’t for voter fatigue (from 2 years ago smh) …if not him, its obviously Tatum. It’s a 2 man race. Things only get dicy if either of those dudes get hurt or their teams start losing

Daps
He’s not winning it.

But the issue is modern stars missing games. Contrary to popular belief, MVP is usually pretty obvious. It only becomes hard to pick when the guys who *should* win it miss games. 2 years ago Embiid missed like 25 games and cost him his MVP when it would have been obvious (28 and 11 on a 1 seed).

Last year everybody forgets Ja. His narrative mirrored Derrick Rose’ mvp. Team comes out of nowhere without a star wingman and they’re a top 2 seed. He would have cake walked to mvp. He misses ~25 games

This year it’s pretty obviously Giannis if it wasn’t for voter fatigue (from 2 years ago smh) …if not him, its obviously Tatum. It’s a 2 man race. Things only get dicy if either of those dudes get hurt or their teams start losing
You stay being stuck on stupid.

Daps
No one is denying how talented he is. It’s just hypocritical how the standards for MVP keep changing every year based on narratives.

A bunch of guys have a legitimate argument for MVP this year. Making him the clear runaway favorite this early is crazy to me. You can make a string argument for 5 guys right now.
Except nobody is making him the "clear runaway favorite" this early on in the season.

That's just a straw man you're using because like many Casuals on this board you have a problem with a fat Euro, who can't jump over a sheet of A4 paper, dominating the game. The sight is unfathomable that this wide-as-the-court foreign white boy can trundle up and down the floor and look like the best player in a Black league. I'd imagine for many of you it's like having Super Fly, Shaft, Slaughter and Truck Turner, and then along comes Jabba the Hutt to steal the show.

Standards for the MVP are different every season, obviously, because no season is ever the same. Jokic deserved both his MVPs even if you want to measure it against the silhouette of past winners, and he's backing that up with a performance this season that's trending in the direction where he'd deserve to win, again.

The season is still early, which is funny because, at this very point over the last two seasons nobody was even mentioning Jokic as the MVP. Go figure.