Joe Budden and Crooked I say "It Was Written" was even better than "Illmatic"

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
Just because you own a well worn thesaurus doesn't mean you're dope. Just because you don't know what a multi is, doesn't mean you're wack. It comes down to what the artist's goal was, and whether or not they achieved it. If 2 Chainz aimed low and hit his target, I can rock with it. If Lupe aimed high and missed, I can't fukk with it. Shoot me.

So you're proud to rock with what dubya called the soft bigotry of low expectations. If Lupe came out mumbling about I'm a star, in a big car, etc like Ross you'd be :clap: but because he came out with a drug dealing song that uses skateboarding as a metaphor you think he was a skater :facepalm: Only in hip hop is any attempt at doing something better or something different reflexively dismissed as gimmicky. The end result of this approach is to be comfortable with people as long as they're not trying to be artists of any significance. It's contemptible.

I can't take you serious until you pan all the wackness on the radio :mjpls: were discussing Lupe right now not everybody on the radio.

Again, my point is the only people catching negative commentary from some of these dudes are Lupe, etc. It reminds me of extreme leftists fighting mainstream liberals when they have a common mainstream enemy. "you're not as good as you should be".. meanwhile that guy over there, is trash!! But not catching all this flack.

And :laugh: at wanting to take people on the internet seriously your much better than this zero.

well, if they're making a judgement about music I assume they're thinking what they're saying. for all of neworleans21's faults, at least he does that much.

Non Sequitur

Creep.
Daps
Reppin
The 3rd Degree
So you're proud to rock with the soft bigotry of low expectations. If Lupe came out mumbling about I'm a star, in a big car, etc like Ross you'd be :clap: but because he came out with a drug dealing song that uses skateboarding as a metaphor you think he was a skater :facepalm: Only in hip hop is any attempt at doing something better or something different reflexively dismissed as gimmicky. The end result of this approach is to be comfortable with people as long as they're not trying to be artists of any significance. It's contemptible.

Yeah, I've heard that "Kick Push is about dope-dealing" reach before. If that's what the song is about, what was he trying to accomplish? More lyricism for the sake of lyricism? No, thanks.

Also, you make it sound as though it's impossible to aim high and make it. There's classic HipHop albums that have done just that(Like, Illmatic :krs:). Lupe doesn't have one of those, though, and likely never will.

H.S.

All Star
Daps
Lupe's version of Diamonds is incredible and that beat has always been fire.

Hannibal Fox

Eetwidomayloh
Daps
Reppin
Death To Spookism
Again, my point is the only people catching negative commentary from some of these dudes are Lupe, etc. It reminds me of extreme leftists fighting mainstream liberals when they have a common mainstream enemy. "you're not as good as you should be".. meanwhile that guy over there, is trash!! But not catching all this flack.

You don't see people around here crying about Niki Minaj (sp)?

You don't see people ranting on Lil Wayne?

You don't see people poking holes in the character of Drake?

Son people will have their own opinion on shyt till the end of time and with Lupe people probably feel he comes off false.

He's not convincing on the mic.

He comes off real pompous at times that's probably what does it, I'm gonna be real with you yes the boy has skills, but just because he has skills doesn't make him the messiah of spitting.

What separates him from Nas and Pharaohe Monch who is their superior in my opinion, is that they don't have to dance around the bush to get their point across, that's what killed Canibus, he was spending so much time trying to rap your ear off that he forgot the one crucial element:

THE MUSIC

Your very direct so you should see where this is coming from.

well, if they're making a judgement about music I assume they're thinking what they're saying. for all of neworleans21's faults, at least he does that much.

:comeon: he knows fukk all, trust me someone like you, who understands how to articulate themselves and conduct themselves in a courteous manner should have spotted that.

We disagree but there's no need for me to stick you on ignore, the world would be mundane if everyone had the same opinion, we learn from other peoples opinions.

Hotep.

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
Yeah, I've heard that "Kick Push is about dope-dealing" reach before. If that's what the song is about, what was he trying to accomplish? More lyricism for the sake of lyricism? No, thanks.

you think it's a reach to say Kick Push is about drug dealing?

you really think he's just talking about how he was skating in one section of the town, then got chased out, so he's skating in another section?

:usure:

Non Sequitur

Creep.
Daps
Reppin
The 3rd Degree
Most of the time Lupe relies on lyrical smoke and mirrors to disguise the fact that he's not saying shyt (See, Dumb it Down). Not to mention he's never the guy he claims to be.

He's a trend hopper just like most everybody else (from gangster, to skater, deeply metaphorical genius lyricist, to true artist held hostage by a label, to misunderstood revolutionary, to hipster, back to skater and blah blah blah) He just hops on different trends than your average trendhopper. :dry:

I've seen that most of his fanbase are elitists who thumb their noses at "less lyrical" artists as if "less lyrical" means "less artistic merit." (It doesn't, by the way)

Have you ever listened to one of his songs, and come away with a message? Have they ever made you reconsider something?

Non Sequitur

Creep.
Daps
Reppin
The 3rd Degree
you think it's a reach to say Kick Push is about drug dealing?

you really think he's just talking about how he was skating in one section of the town, then got chased out, so he's skating in another section?

:usure:

If that's what the song is about, what was he trying to accomplish? More lyricism for the sake of lyricism? No, thanks.

Is he trying to show that he can rap about selling drugs better than you? What is it? :rolleyes:

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
now you're looking for a bizarre raison d'etre. the point of the song is to be a song. about life experiences, or thoughts of the artist, etc. I was aware well before hearing "put you on game" that slavery, war and disease exist but it's an incredible and captivating way to talk about them.

I'm not looking for him to tell me about the financial struggles of cheese makers in the ural mountains. that's what national geographic is for.

what 'new' thing did you learn from Nas/AZ & Olu Dara on Life's a B1tch?

Non Sequitur

Creep.
Daps
Reppin
The 3rd Degree
now you're looking for a bizarre raison d'etre. the point of the song is to be a song. about life experiences, or thoughts of the artist, etc. I was aware well before hearing "put you on game" that slavery, war and disease exist but it's an incredible and captivating way to talk about them.

I'm not looking for him to tell me about the financial struggles of cheese makers in the ural mountains. that's what national geographic is for.

Oh ok...It's entertaining to you to hear about slavery, war, and disease safely from the suburbs. Gotcha.

zerozero said:

A lot, actually, since I heard it when i was 10. shyt had me like :dwillhuh:

zerozero said:

:heh:

I asked what message or insight you came away with from Lupe's music and this is what you give me?

Good God, you're a clown.

Non Sequitur

Creep.
Daps
Reppin
The 3rd Degree

I remember trying to force myself to like the horrid beats on this album and ignore the corniness wafting out of my speakers.:facepalm:

Get out while you still can zero! His catalogue is only going to get worse. :yayo:

Last edited by a moderator: