Jemele Hill: It's time for black athletes to leave white colleges

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
Yup. You had U of M siphoning money from morgan state.

They wont let that shyt happen
Yuuuup - if so called progressive Maryland with some of the wealthiest black neighborhoods in the country can't get a fair shake for their HBCU's nobody else will. That's the story:
Baltimore Sun - We are currently unavailable in your region

Every state legislature is a who's who of state alumni.

And i"m not sure how it is everywhere else, but in MD the Governor appoints members to oversee the colleges. Talk about a conflict of interest.

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
In football, it is a sacrifice to not have a state of the art weight room with $250k a year strength coaches giving you world class training. To having rib eye steaks and you name it during our bi weekly team dinners. Having folks regulating your sleep so youre an optimum atheltez

Yeah...that is a sacrifice youre asking these kids to take.

Yeah @Houston911...Im talking to you of you think Im on some cac shyt. fukk outta here with that. You went to UT and know difference Im talking about.

What is a state of the art weight room?? What does that mean, having your team's log on a 25 pound weight plate, with flat screens on the wall and surround sound with a vending machines

Let's break this "state of the art" weight room, and let me ask you this, with all these PWI having these state of the art weight room, how come it's the same 5-9 teams competing for the ships each and every year??

I asked you, hell, anybody who has the top weight facility in college football?? Top 5 facilities in all of College Football, who are these schools?

Having a Rib eye brings in championships now :mjgrin: Stop it breh

Regulating your sleep brings championships :mjlol: Stop it breh.

Go to Colorado brehs to have yourself a Ribeye every day and sleep regulated to finish in the lower/bottom half of the conference :wow:

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
Yeah if it's going to happen, it's got to be through basketball. I could see something like the Fab 5 happening at a HBCU if all those players are NBA locks. It's harder for me envisioning a football player doing it because he's one of a 80+ roster and the drop off in development is huge.
But even then those players have to stay in school and we just don’t ask one and dones to do that.

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
Clemson became a powerhouse because Clemson's admin unleashed the money taps when Dabo convinced them it would pay off.

IPTAY is shelling out huge money to support that program now.

They were getting good players before, but they didn't start this current push until the money really starting rolling in and they could recruit at a top 5 level.

Maybe so

I was making a point to ole dude about having to build up your program.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
Yuuuup - if so called progressive Maryland with some of the wealthiest black neighborhoods in the country can't get a fair shake for their HBCU's nobody else will. That's the story:
Baltimore Sun - We are currently unavailable in your region

Every state legislature is a who's who of state alumni.

And i"m not sure how it is everywhere else, but in MD the Governor appoints members to oversee the colleges. Talk about a conflict of interest.
There are levels to this shyt the Jemele’s arent accounting for. My ex is in the MD legislature fighting for HBCU dollars. If those HBCUs have programs that threaten their beloved PWI’s? SHEEEEEEEEEEEEET.......

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
Nick Sabans teams are trash, but theres a difference between 3 to 4 star trash and teams being held up by 1 to 2 star trash. Nick Saban and Bama can also fund coaches and other things that an HBCU cant.

The only way this works with football is if half the incoming 3 - 5 star players go to hbcus at once.

You are getting away from the topic.

If black players leave these cac schools and go to the HBCUs, what will happen?

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
Someone finally gets it.

It's interesting that she got a quote from SC state, but didn't go into how state officials stripped the school of funds in favor of Clemson and U of South Carolina.

I wouldn't even focus on competing with PWI, once the black players leave, the HBCUs will generate their own money and wouldn't have to beg for funds.

Basketball programs will produce $$$

Football programs will produce $$$

and anything outside of these things will produce $$$

Again, the begging and stuff will be a non-factor

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
Shannon Sharpe showed the real problems HBCU’s face. Last year Shannon talked about his time at Savannah State ( in great terms of course) but he said the people at the university of Georgia were paying athletes mothers bills. He said I loved Savannah but if Georgia or Bama wanted me I’m heading my you know what to Georgia. I was broke broke.

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
college needs to be an option after a paid farm system...put in 2-5 years in the farm system and not drafted? then get a scholarship to college, a lot more athletes would take school seriously KNOWING it's their last option at a decent job (which this isn't guaranteed anymore either), plus some people need to mature before going to college. furthermore, no one at the school would give a fukk that their football team is 21-26 as opposed to 18-23, if they have the skill to entertain and hang banners, it's all good :manny:
BYU certainly doesn't. and with your system at least the majority would be that age instead of one school having old ass players compared to the rest.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
:usure:

Like I said, you could possibly pull this off in basketball, but football, I don't see it.
I don’t think it would work in basketball for the same reasons. It’s built on this myopic idea that the top kids would go to an HBCU and somehow win a title in 1 year and change everything which is some Disney movie shyt. In reality it would be like teaching a smart kid 5th grade math only for the final to be calculus. If they even luck up and make the tournament reality would hit them so hard in terms of competition it would make those talented kids look bad.

Hov

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
At the risk of turning a fake "Coli know it all" on my recent posts, I just can't not comment on this topic, but I'm going to leave it alone after this.

I would love to sit and talk to Jemele Hill or anyone here that really truly believes the things they write on this HBCU/PWI sports topic, when they don't know or speak to the real athletes or parents. It comes off to me as pandering or fishing for daps, because it's cool to say what people should or shouldn't do - but never followed up by feasible, economic ways that “symbol” can and will actually help.

Who am I?

I played football at an HBCU.

A lot of my friends are coaches - a few at HBCUs, most at PWI or NFL. We all played some level of pro football, most NFL, some at VERY high level careers.

I loved my HBCU. I ended up there just like every other player on my team - I got kicked out of my JUCO, I had plans to go to a D1 prior. Either that, or my teammates just were not good enough in HS, but nobody would’ve chose that school over FSU or USC, etc.

Anyway, I love my school so much, I just was asked to speak to the team last week during camp - I give back in time, money, resources, and giving the team (who is VERY GOOD, and sent a couple to NFL over past 10 yrs) some motivation.

With all that being said - stop this argument.

Basketball-wise - I can actually see it happening, if a group of guys go.

Football - NO.

Right now, myself and a few of my guys mentor the NUMBER 1 RATED WR in the Class of XXX (can’t be specific because I have said to much on other posts before and will not make those mistakes again.)

He is an amazing kid. Tough background. Poor as hell. Going to be a top-2 round pick barring injury or trouble.

I could never in my right mind or heart tell him to go to my HBCU over the school he committed to for the sake of Jemele Hill or some “black people looking good” idea.

You know what looks good? The family structure and generational wealth some of my friends have. The communities they have built, even winning NFL Man of Year awards for doing so. The ability to create opportunities and hire people we grew up with, things that you see Lebron doing, but lots of former players are doing in real life.

I remember NCC (the coach quoted in article). I have been there. Facilities are not touching anything at a top program.

Think more linear. The schools do not have the budgets to hire the amount of quality strength and medical staff (not to mention medical and rehabiitaion equipment, which one item alone can cost 100k) to even nurse your injuries. They usually have to hire 1 or 2 top people and use students. I still have injureis from playing at my top HBCU that would’ve been fixed with more staff.

HBCUs can only pay a certain salary coach wise, because they do not have the budget. No one on this board is taking 100k less to do MORE WORK, and STILL BE AWAY FROM THERE FAMILIES AND KIDS. That would be asinine, unless you already were secure like Andrew Luck or something. The staff have a few full-time coaches, and the rest part time, who work other jobs to survive.

The travel is like minor league baseball.

Someone above laughed at working out in top notch facilities and eating amazing food - like that does not or should not matter to a KID and his PARENT. Live in real life brother. And that stuff DOES MATTER, and it does help. Its almost like saying just drive a jalopy because it gets you from point a to point b like a Benz - but most people who can afford a Benz, take the Benz. That is not a hard concept to understand.

Lastly, the top kids are 100% getting paid, and their mothers are too. And they are getting money when they are facing eviction, deaths in families etc. Thats just a fact. And it aint all BLUE CHIPS either - some of these recruiters genially like the kids they are recruiting, and when that kid calls and says my mom has no car or gas money can you please help me….what do you do? You have a bag of money that you know could help this kid have a good day.

Why the hell are we so pressed about FB & BB? I dont care if HBCU missed that boat to being elite there, because there are 100 other things that HBCUs can be elite at, and are.

Some of the top doctors I know went to Howard. Some of the top professionals i know went to Hampton. Etc Etc. They dont need football to be great, and that should not be the narrative, nor what makes a school great.

Please enlighten me to why this matters? I feel just as happy for the kids at MD that beat HU 79-0 as I do for the kids at HU that have schollys and may still win MEAC, because if all those UMD kids played at HU, the HU kids would be playing…..where again?

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Black people aggressively promoting this “nah, white schools have better facilities and pawgs, don’t go to no hbcu for a year”

:dead:

Then you got the smart guys comparing one and done revenue generating athletes to students :dead:

And they actually think they’re making logical points :dead:
These AAU babies are so spoiled they wouldn’t even do a year at an HBCU right now even though the campus life and women are way better. Sad

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
this conversation about HBCUs is hypothetical, georgia state is real. they were given turner field after the braves left and converted it into a football stadium, plans for an indoor practice facility next to it, have a new basketball arena in the works, baseball stadium that will be on the same foot print as fulton county stadium where hank aaron hit # 715. dorms and other academic building planned around those athletic facilities as well. all in downtown atlanta. they are actually on the path to bigger things. i could easily see them one day in the AAC because there is a big geographical gap between UCF/USF and East Carolina that they would fill in nicely.