jeen-yuhs: A Kanye Trilogy | All Parts Released

DrexlersFade

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Good question. I'm not sure he ever did stop entirely writing his own bars. He definitely has a lot more help now. From what I've heard, it was more around the time of MBDTF when he really started getting way more help with the pen.

People forget that not only did he write bars, but he did the no pen no pad thing. He used to put the beat on and just rap out loud in jibberish with a certain flow or cadence out loud, and as he'd keep rapping jibberish, he'd gradually fill in words to match the flow. There's some footage of this on a couple videos out there.

MBDTF is when he went full chairman of the board and CEO style in terms of flying out every rapper and producer under the sun. In reality he probably started getting more writing help a little earlier (maybe even Graduation era) but MBDTF is when he started just taking whole verses from people (specifically I've heard CyHi and Push wrote a fair amount of that album). And even then I think he wrote some verses on that album. Devil In a New Dress sounds like some shyt he'd write himself.

Is that where Jay came up with that bullshyt about him not writing pretty quincindental especially the way Jay was looking at him when he did the bounce.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Is that where Jay came up with that bullshyt about him not writing pretty quincindental especially the way Jay was looking at him when he did the bounce.
As far as I know, Jay has never written his bars down. He and Biggie were recording Brooklyn's Finest together and both sort of waiting around for the other person to write their verse, and then they realized the other also didn't write with a pen and pad. They were the first two big rappers I remember that didn't write down their bars. Styles P, Common, and Phonte from Little Brother were others that often wrote in their head but didn't really brag about it or talk about it much. Conway is a current rapper that writes in his head instead of using a pen.

I'm sure there are others that do it, but those are some of the main ones that come to mind.

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
Yo Ye’s first girl was bad was fukk smh mans really fukked that up just to get with Amber Rose and then Kim K? But you can’t be surprised he did his own peoples Coodi dirty going with hype Williams to do the video for Jesus walks over Coodi..

It just shows always ride with the folk you came to the party with…
:mjlol: That’s doesn’t meant that at all. His girl Alexis cheated on HIM. Listen to 808s. He’s literally talking about her being seen with some other nikka. And I don’t think he did Coodie dirty. Coodies skills weren’t there yet to do a big budget video. Do any of us really remember the Jesus Walks video? I don’t. But I do remember Gold Digger :yeshrug:

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
They really did some bizarre things with Kanye. Just pulled out my copy of Blueprint 2 as I forgot he rapped on there and he's not even mentioned in the booklet or on the back cover for his verse on "The Bounce" but some random dude was credited with "Additional Vocals." Seems like something a guy like Kanye would be pissed about, and justifiably in this case. In the meantime, his album was mentioned in the coming soon ad in the booklet.
That may be why he gives album credits to anyone who does anything in the studio when he’s making his own stuff lol

50CentStan

Allahu Akbar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Ummah!
I haven’t seen not one notebook of rhymes in this entire doc. It’s clear Rhymefest and Consequence wrote damn near all of College Dropout now :mjlol:

Exactly. I was thinking about the doc. And its obvious coodie probably cut out the stuff that involved people writting his shyt.

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
Damn watching this shyt just makes me sad for too many reasons. Dope documentary.

I got sad watching those video essays @TheDarceKnight posted. I've seen three (Late Registration, Graduation, 808s) and I'm in the middle of the MBDTF one. Kanye definitely feels like he lost a part of himself after his mom died and his engagement was off. In interviews for previous albums, he sounded excited, ready to take on the world and accomplish everything he had set out to do. Then in later interviews, he sounds more depressed, more withdrawn. Almost like his confidence was shaken a little.

That interview with Jay Leno was legitimately uncomfortable. Up to that point, Kanye had never been at a loss for words. :picard:

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
Good question. I'm not sure he ever did stop entirely writing his own bars. He definitely has a lot more help now. From what I've heard, it was more around the time of MBDTF when he really started getting way more help with the pen.

People forget that not only did he write bars, but he did the no pen no pad thing. He used to put the beat on and just rap out loud in jibberish with a certain flow or cadence out loud, and as he'd keep rapping jibberish, he'd gradually fill in words to match the flow. There's some footage of this on a couple videos out there.

MBDTF is when he went full chairman of the board and CEO style in terms of flying out every rapper and producer under the sun. In reality he probably started getting more writing help a little earlier (maybe even Graduation era) but MBDTF is when he started just taking whole verses from people (specifically I've heard CyHi and Push wrote a fair amount of that album). And even then I think he wrote some verses on that album. Devil In a New Dress sounds like some shyt he'd write himself.

I thought Kanye always had ghostwriters, but this documentary makes it seem like he was more involved in the writing in the beginning like you said. Songs like "Two Words," "Spaceship," and "Last Call" sound personal so he probably didn't get any help there. Graduation was Big Sean-influenced, apparently ("I Wonder"). And 808s had Kid Cudi and Mr. Hudson.

He can still write on his own, but I guess it's easier at this point to get help. He wrote "No More Parties in L.A." by himself, and it sounds like he recorded it in one take.

Daps
Jay not writing down his verses was a thing before Kanye was a thing, every producer who’s worked with Jay has said this

And as for Kanye getting help with his rhymes, it’s always been known that Kanye had verses written for him. He’s been open about the help con and fest gave him. It’s not a mysterious thing like drakes situation. We see con in the background but this doc is leaving all of that out though.

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
:mjlol: That’s doesn’t meant that at all. His girl Alexis cheated on HIM. Listen to 808s. He’s literally talking about her being seen with some other nikka. And I don’t think he did Coodie dirty. Coodies skills weren’t there yet to do a big budget video. Do any of us really remember the Jesus Walks video? I don’t. But I do remember Gold Digger :yeshrug:
I’m talking about the chic that was with Ye at the news years party at his new crib.. The chic in all white

Scientific

Bacdafucup
Daps
Reppin
The H
Jay not writing down his verses was a thing before Kanye was a thing, every producer who’s worked with Jay has said this

And as for Kanye getting help with his rhymes, it’s always been known that Kanye had verses written for him. He’s been open about the help con and fest gave him. It’s not a mysterious thing like drakes situation. We see con in the background but this doc is leaving all of that out though.
Lupe isn't mentioned either. I don't think he had much help for College Dropout. It took him so long to make the album, he had so much in his head about what he wanted to write. He's freestyling all the time in the beginning. Once he's respected as a rapper, I think he achieved what he wanted out of it. After that, he wasn't trying to become the greatest lyricst either.