Jay supports $300 M scholarships for Penn teens, critics say he's feeling like a Black Republican

Double Burger With Cheese

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I'm not saying all of his charitable actions have been bad - that'd be an overexaggeration.

But becoming the face of one of the most pernicious, anti-democratic, and harmful education policies - privatization - does overshadow any of this minor charitable activities.

Remember his vocal support of Colin Kapernick, followed by him signing a minor deal with the NFL a couple of months later?

His crypto-currency wealth exploitation - that was just informal marketing for the crypto platform?

His support for the Barclays center (and with it the increased hyper-policing and displacement right in the heart of Brooklyn - just to sell his share for $1.5Ms.

So 3 things. This is what I’m talking about. This nikka clear gives back to his people and the culture, but yet all nikkas wanna do is latch on to the shyt that they don’t agree with or that is controversial. I personally don’t think Jay wakes up in the morning and makes moves with the intentions of enriching himself and fukking over the people. But whenever his name is brought up, that’s the overwhelming tone of these post, and the shyt is some hating ass shyt. A lot of people simply don’t like that man for no good reason. I’m calling shyt how I see it

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
nikkas always think Jay Z is secretly plotting to destroy the black community. nikkas be reaching mastery levels of hate

I don't think he's "secretly plotting" to destroy anything. I think he, like most rich people, entered a situation he knew nothing about and just started advocating for what the other rich capitalists were advocating for. He's a useful idiot for the cause, not a mastermind.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
I don't think he's "secretly plotting" to destroy anything. I think he, like most rich people, entered a situation he knew nothing about and just started advocating for what the other rich capitalists were advocating for. He's a useful idiot for the cause, not a mastermind.
After the NFL shyt, I can't give him the benefit of the doubt

Ahmen

Live as if BLM
Daps
So everyone is hell bent on changing the situation of black education.
When Umar starts a school, y'all clown.
When Lebron and Jalen make charters, y'all wait for failure.
What do you want, more of the same?!
Call it what you will, but let the money follow the child and I'll take my chances in getting him into the school I choose. I can't wait on other parents to get involved or make the sacrifices that I'm willing to make for my child's education.
60 years of being at the bottom warrant change... any change.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Should just let the kids go to make poor schools, with poor students and let their potential get left in the bushes. Like a true Twitter finger breh, who have never done shyt without write think pieces. :why:

Jay outta touch with the faux militant Twitter generation age of not doing shyt but complaining.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
How are we spending more money per pupil in public education yet lagging behind several first world countries?

Countries that have the best education systems almost always have the same thing in common - a hyper-commitment to delivering excellent education to every student across the board. China literally built its system on the idea that every child should have an equal education. Same with Singapore. Same with Finland - the entire basis of their system is that EVERY child at EVERY school has the same opportunities that every other child has. Same with Poland and Latvia - they aren't very wealthy countries at all, but they have a much larger commitment to equality, and as a result their international test scores are far better.

America is the exact opposite of that. For over 100 years after slavery ended, White people fought with everything they had to ensure that Black children did not receive the same education that White children did. When the courts literally forced them to allow integration, they only did so slowly over time, kicking and screaming. And then they found ways to re-institute segregation legally. White flight hit like crazy. Entire schools (not just the administration and teachers, even the school name and trophies!) straight up left the cities to be relocated into the suburbs. Black and Brown students became more and more concentrated in specific schools, and those schools got the worst facilities, the worst administrators, the worst teachers, the least stability. Because of intregration, the most well-off, well-prepared black families were able to flee to the suburbs too, but that only meant that the remaining kids were even more impoverished and isolated.

This didn't only happen to black and brown kids - poor white regions were abandoned too, especially in rural areas. But it was by far the worst in Black areas.

The "school choice" movement is an overt attempt to further that goal. They want to suck even more funding out of public schools, isolate the majority of the black population even more, to create a "safe space" for their own children. Their ultimate goal is for public education to collapse completely, so that only those who can afford education will get it.

Do you seriously believe that well-off white conservative parents want more Black children in their schools? Do you seriously believe they want the best for Black education? They've been fighting against that their entire lives! Don't be gullible and think they're pulling a 180 right now.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Call it what you will, but let the money follow the child and I'll take my chances in getting him into the school I choose. I can't wait on other parents to get involved or make the sacrifices that I'm willing to make for my child's education.
You're not making an intellectual argument and are simply saying, doing something with negative consequences, no matter how severe they'll be, is better than doing nothing

Dropping Umars name shows you're unserious

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
This isn't going to change the situation in Black education. It's going to make it worse. Some of you need to take a step back and look at who's spearheading these initiatives, what they've done in the past, and how they use their money to shape all kinds of policy that negatively impacts Black people across the country. Jeff Yass is not someone who has the best interests of Black students in mind when he attacks Public education.

Pull Up the Roots

Daps
Reppin
Detroit

How bad are school vouchers for students? Far worse than most people imagine. Indeed, according to the analysis conducted by the authors of this report, the use of school vouchers—which provide families with public dollars to spend on private schools—is equivalent to missing out on more than one-third of a year of classroom learning. In other words, this analysis found that the overall effect of the D.C. voucher program on students is the same as missing 68 days of school.

This analysis builds on a large body of voucher program evaluations in Louisiana, Indiana, Ohio, and Washington, D.C., all of which show that students attending participating private schools perform significantly worse than their peers in public schools—especially in math.1 A recent, rigorous evaluation of the D.C. Opportunity Scholarship Program from the U.S. Department of Education reaffirms these findings, reporting that D.C. students attending voucher schools performed significantly worse than they would have in their original public school.2

The analysis is timely given President Donald Trump and Education Secretary Betsy DeVos’ main education priority: to privatize education by creating and expanding voucher programs nationwide. In the Trump budget released in February, the president has suggested doubling investment in vouchers.3* But while President Trump and Secretary DeVos often assert that research backs their proposals, the evidence is lacking.

In order to add necessary context to the recent voucher research—and the debate over the budget—the authors compare the negative outcomes of one of these voucher programs—the D.C. Opportunity Scholarship Program—to other factors that negatively affect student achievement. That analysis also finds that the effect of vouchers on student achievement is larger than the following in-school factors: exposure to violent crime at school, feeling unsafe in school, high teacher turnover, and teacher absenteeism.4

To be clear, the far-reaching negative effects of factors such as feeling unsafe in school cannot be overstated. For example, there is a large body of work that discusses the negative impact of exposure to violent crime on children’s well-being, including academic performance.5 Certainly, many of these factors are serious and are known to have a negative impact on multiple areas of child development. However, the comparisons made in this report focus only on how each in-school factor—violence at school, feeling unsafe, teacher turnover, and teacher absenteeism—affects school achievement.

Further, using the Center for Research on Education Outcomes (CREDO) formula, the authors of this report also found that the overall effect of the D.C. voucher program on students is the equivalent of 68 fewer days of schooling than they otherwise would have received had they remained in their traditional public school. In other words, the students who participated in the D.C. voucher program lost more than one-third of a year of learning.6 To be clear, translating this effect into days of learning is an approximation intended to help assess relative impact. In this case, 68 days lost is clearly substantial lost ground for students participating in the D.C. voucher program.

Htrb-nvr-blk-&-ug-as-evr

Black and not crackin’
Supporter
Daps
Black kids and parents don’t take education seriously for shyt…yall wonder why everyone wants to distance their kids from yours? For the few gifted black kids with strong parent support, they deserve schools with kids like them so that they are comfortable in learning and excelling. The gifted kids without strong parent support should be allowed in that same school with sponsoring parents of other kids in the program. Thise sponsoring parents should get a stipend. The kids that don’t seem to want to show potential for general education should be diverted to a trade-based school: mechanic, HVAC, Plumbing, etc. The remaining kids that will likely be dead before 24 or generally won’t be about shyt anyway can be eliminated.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Should just let the kids go to make poor schools, with poor students and let their potential get left in the bushes. Like a true Twitter finger breh, who have never done shyt without write think pieces.

Jay outta touch with the faux militant Twitter generation age of not doing shyt but complaining.

Education reform and uplifting kids in tough circumstances has literally been the focus of my entire career. Every day of my life I am more seriously engaged in school reform and education for youth than Jay-Z has been in any day of his.

These are Jay-Z's actual partners in this initiative. Do you trust them to be doing the right thing for Black kids? Do you trust them to be doing ANYTHING that would put Black kids on an equal footing with White kids?

0x0.jpg

Billionaire Jeff Yass, the richest man in Pennsylvania (net worth $27.6 billion) is the main person behind this push. He's a professional gambler-turned stock trader who now focuses on politics. A recent ProPublica report found that he has dodged over a billion dollars in taxes via legally dubious means. As a Libertarian, he has dumped tens of millions of dollars into lobbying for "school choice" initiatives that will direct public taxpayer money into private schools.

Besides school choice, Yass has donated tens of millions of dollars to pro-Israel and anti-Muslim groups. He has been focused recently on propping up Donald Trump, helping push a huge influx of money into Truth Social and meeting with Trump regarding his plans for TikTok. There is strong buzz that Yass could become the Trump's Treasury Secretary if Trump wins the presidency.

Nate_Benefield-500x500.jpg

Nathan Benefield, senior vice-president of Commonwealth Partners (a conservative business leaders lobbying group) has been their face pushing the bill. They're a libertarian group whose stated goal is to push "small government" and "market based" ideas into public policy. Their answer to literally every public policy issue is to privatize it.

JudyWard.jpg

Judy Ward, one of the sponsors who introduced the bill, is a Republican leader in the Senate known for having one of the most consistently conservative voting records in Pennsylvania. She is endorsed by the NRA Political Victory Fund, the American Conservative Union, and Commonwealth Partners (a conservative business organization).

Ward happens to be the state senator who gave a random third party conservative group access to some of Pennsylvania's voting machines in order to "audit" them after Trump claimed the election was stolen. This forced the state to decertify those machines for further use as they may have been compromised.

Two right-wing libertarians allied with Trump and a hardcore conservative Republican. Do y'all seriously believe that the goal of these three people is to ensure that Black child get an equal education and can attend the same schools as White folk? Or do you believe that they don't know what's going on and Jay-Z, with 1/100th as much time on the issue, is playing 4-dimensional chess and pulling the wool over their eyes.

Pull Up the Roots

Daps
Reppin
Detroit

When students participate in a voucher program, the rights that they have in public school do not automatically transfer with them to their private school. Private schools may expel or deny admission to certain students without repercussion and with limited recourse for the aggrieved student. In light of Secretary DeVos’ push to create a federal voucher program, it is crucial that parents and policymakers alike understand the ways that private schools can discriminate against students, even while accepting public funding. Parents want the best education possible for their children, and voucher programs may seem like a path to a better education for children whose families have limited options. However, parents deserve clear and complete information about the risks of using voucher programs, including the loss of procedural safeguards available to students in public schools.

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Too many people see the headlines and don't understand the root issues. The Philadelphia region has some of the best public schools in the world, but the schools Black kids are attending fail due to segregation of students, segregation of resources, and neglect. Plans like this

Do you think a plan like this means those schools will stop crumbling, or Black students will stop attending them? Do you think those Republicans involved with it seriously desire a more educated population and a decrease the Black-White achievement gap?

This is the same sort of thing we're seeing across the country - they're trying to justify segregating out the student bodies even further, isolate the most struggling group in the black population even more, and destroy any semblance of public schooling all with some whitewashing of, "But we offered scholardships!" (most of which will go to non-black kids).
Can't speak for Philly. But let me see if I'm getting your point about segregation. For example, in my city, kids in Detroit get less money per student then surrounding rich suburbs. Based on taxes. Would desegregation be all kids funded equally? If not, what does thst look like?

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Can't speak for Philly. But let me see if I'm getting your point about segregation. For example, in my city, kids in Detroit get less money per student then surrounding rich suburbs. Based on taxes. Would desegregation be all kids funded equally? If not, what does thst look like?

Yup, some of the links I already posted show how zip code-based funding has contributed to school inequality. I definitely feel we need to start by equalizing funding - like Oregon, which passed a bill to eliminate zip code funding based on property taxes and instead fund every school district in the state at the same level.

But just equal funding isn't enough, because some school districts have much higher needs than other districts. Ideally we need to move in the direction of Finland, which pushes equality of outcomes as their main goal, not just equality of funding, and thus gives the greatest targeted help to the schools that are doing the worst.

Desegregation (both racial and economic) makes both equality of funding and equality of outcomes far more likely because it ensures that parents with power have their kids in the same school as parents without power, so suddenly they have a large vested interest in making the lower-performing schools better. In places with heavy segregation, the low-performing schools are just abandoned because no one with power cares. Also, with desegregation you get a more healthy mix of "students who care" and "students with good parenting" and "students with social connections", etc., so you don't have the social issues that come when you force all the children with deprived upbringings into a single school.