Jay supports $300 M scholarships for Penn teens, critics say he's feeling like a Black Republican

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Problem is there are entirely too few Black kids with good support structure. Those few gifted students that are afraid to show their potential due to peer pressure or environment are lumped in with the ain’t shyt kids and left to rot with them in the current system. They all get sent to the same failing public school system to become failures. I guarantee you out of every 10 poor black kids there are at least 4 or 5 with an extraordinary talent of some kind. Be it art, math, or just a mechanical mastermind. My idea is to find that talent, cull them out early and put them on a path to success. Kinda like the girls that found a new way to solve the Pythagorean theorem….there are a LOT of black geniuses out there to be harvested but many feel hopeless due to circumstances or are too influenced by peers that don’t want them to succeed. I agree with you, it’s the environment that the kids grow up in that affects their performance the most. Maybe set up boarding schools so the less fortunate won’t have to worry about the next meal or where they will be sleeping that night. I know it’s deeper that what i said, but in the end it boils down to you can’t save them all…gotta cull the best and hope future parents and kids will see the success and strive for it.
So leave 50% of black students to rot? :mjlol:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Do I support charter schools? No. But we need to be honest about failing black schools and the way we're stacking generations of black children who literally cannot read well into their teenage years, who go to terrible public schools that get state+fed money and nothing changes. See the same shyt happening with the HBCUs which are getting record amounts of money yet have zero to show for it. We're about 5 months away from the annual "[insert hbcu school] doesn't have heat in dorms" winter tweet.

A major problem with liberalism is throwing money at problems while doing nothing to fix it on a systematic, institutional level. There needs to be massive reforms of schools. Which won't happen due to teacher's unions. I support unions but let's be real: teacher's unions do more harm to black people than police unions. They ensure black schools remain fukked while also ensuring (predominantly white and female) teaching and administration staff members keep getting paid government money.

End result is gonna be nothing gets done and we keep marching towards black people being a permanent lower class in this country, relegated to retail and Amazon factories.

Teacher's unions have nothing to do with administrative staff pay and very little to do with major reform issues. I disagree with teacher unions on some aspects of teaching reform, but those are minor in the grand scheme of things. If you look at countries where teaching is done really well, the teachers actually have more power, not less, which allows them to recruit more motivated and qualified people into the profession.

If you just want proof of that, look at the states where teacher unions are strong versus the states where they are weak. If teacher unions are the thing blocking reform, then why are the weakest union states also the weakest education states?

All the biggest issues in school reform that we've discussed in this thread are determined by governments, voters and school boards, not by union contract negotiations.

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
They want black kids to stay in their failing crumbling schools. If they can help our kids get scholarships go to somewhere better with more opportunity good for them.

Or you could properly fund public schools.

Take away some of the bloated police budget and fund modern effective education.

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Also regarding funding. I went to a school where we were last in pretty much everything. But I never felt my education suffered because of it. We still had computers, we had our library, we had our overhead projectors, the teachers were knowledgeable and a lot of my teachers were black (it being a black high school after all). Funding was an issue when other schools were going on specific field trips, higher level coursea, different types of courses, and school events. But my educations that I needed to know (math, sciences, history, and language (English, literature, and Spanish) were offered and taught at a respectable level.

The biggest issue at my school was the distractions from the students. A lot of kids just didn't give a fukk. Their parents didn't give a fukk. We had a huge gang problem, teenage pregnancies, kids being disrespectful to the teachers and each other. The problem was the kids and the parents. I know for a fact we were better funded than some random school in China, but the difference is just cultural. One culture cares about school, the other doesn't.

When you limit several generations economic mobility you create that situation. Most people in the hoods lineage never had an opportunity at a professional high caliber job. Plus the cacs stole Black farmland which set us back even further. I believe if FBA's still owned our fair share of farmland the outlook would be different.

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
First of all, that's a long ass post. :ufdup: I used to sound exactly like you. Over the years you will learn your perception doesn't fit everyday practices. I said in my post there are systematic problems. Like any problems, they will remain the same if they don't get addressed. Parents not getting involved in their children's education is part of that problem. If they are not doing that, they are not going to school board meetings, pushing local candidates favorable of public education, and demanding school districts to do what they supposed to do. Just hoping they'll get their act together has been a mistake repeated for a long time.

IF no one in your entire lineage has ever benefitted from academic achievement because of systematic racism no shyt your family does not value education.

Jim Crow was not that long ago.

Go watch a documentary about housing projects or something.

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
These the same dudes that hate on Black women who got bread that say there aren't any available Black men and date white men

They don't have a problem with looking out for self and not caring about the community, they just hate hypergamy when it's Black women

(I think it's bad when men or women do it)

Yep this would create more goofy Briahna Joy Gray's and White catering Black men.

Ahmen

Live as if BLM
Daps
This isn't going to change the situation in Black education. It's going to make it worse. Some of you need to take a step back and look at who's spearheading these initiatives, what they've done in the past, and how they use their money to shape all kinds of policy that negatively impacts Black people across the country. Jeff Yass is not someone who has the best interests of Black students in mind when he attacks Public education.
Newsflash.

It can't get worse. Black students have ranked at the bottom of every educational measure since Biden blocked Harris's school bus.

What ideas have worked. What are you waiting on to change?
Just curious.

Ahmen

Live as if BLM
Daps
You're not making an intellectual argument and are simply saying, doing something with negative consequences, no matter how severe they'll be, is better than doing nothing

Dropping Umars name shows you're unserious
You missed the point entirely. Any change, Umar to school choice via vouchers, is better than stat.

What are you waiting for?

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
IF no one in your entire lineage has ever benefitted from academic achievement because of systematic racism no shyt your family does not value education.

Jim Crow was not that long ago.

Go watch a documentary about housing projects or something.
Respectfully. That statement doesn't add anything productive to the conversation. Yes, everything from housing projects to civil forfeiture negatively impacted blacks. However, the narrative of continuing to bring up the past doesn't solve and make any recommendations to address to issue. If parents learn a lack of education didn't work out for them and let their kids continue that same path......well the joke in on us. Apparently, every other group coming here has figured it out.

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I added an interview with Camika Royal in OP. She's an assistant professor of Urban Educational Leadership. She's against this initiative.