Jay supports $300 M scholarships for Penn teens, critics say he's feeling like a Black Republican

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Jay Z is "being used" to push some BS in a state that he doesn't even have children in.

Every other side in this piece is messed up beyond all belief, and everyone is choosing a messed up paradigm that doesn't address the problems of Black Boys in particular, Black people in general, and the #1 economy in the world.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
These schools are PRIVATE

Why do yall have faith that a proposed voucher system to let kids from all walks of life EN MASSE is done in good faith?

It would defeat the purpose

Those schools are exclusive by nature, doing this lowers their value
I honestly have lost faith in the public education system considering how we're lagging behind countries. I do think that public education could use an overhaul but I also like the parents given choices as to where their children are educated. Not trying to be hyper individualistic but I guess I'm thinking of it as solving temporary problems now until we get that overhaul

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
I honestly have lost faith in the public education system considering how we're lagging behind countries. I do think that public education could use an overhaul but I also like the parents given choices as to where their children are educated. Not trying to be hyper individualistic but I guess I'm thinking of it as solving temporary problems now until we get that overhaul
It doesn't matter what you like, this plan isn't going to help ppl overall

I don't see how ppl get swayed by obvious rug pulls

KillerPups

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Stop. Public schools are crumbling due to a lack of sufficient funding. If this legislation passes, it will make things even worse. They want to use tax-payer money to fund these bullshyt voucher programs. Programs that have been shown to *not* benefit Black students.
Public schools have funding. They are crumbling because of misappropriation of the funding. These teachers unions keeping useless teachers and these endless administrators making 150k+ a year to do nothing. No accountability.

Would you send your kids to one of these failing schools? Highly doubt it.

Newark NJ (the hood) is full of alternative (charter and private) schools that give black kids who want to have a chance a leg up. Most of them at no cost to the student. Yet many in the public system / union workers STILL complain.
Is all about money they don't give AF about these kids.

Anyone who is against giving our kids an escape gets a major side eye from me.

You saying black kids won't benefit. Prove it

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Facts though, this is a republican initiative. Private schools are 100% unregulated. They can deny anyone. This will only help white and jewish kids.

Too many people see the headlines and don't understand the root issues. The Philadelphia region has some of the best public schools in the world, but the schools Black kids are attending fail due to segregation of students, segregation of resources, and neglect. Plans like this

They want black kids to stay in their failing crumbling schools. If they can help our kids get scholarships go to somewhere better with more opportunity good for them.

I'm not mad at this if these Private schools are providing a 'substantially better education' than Pennsylvania public schools.
Some of these public schools are terrible.

Do you think a plan like this means those schools will stop crumbling, or Black students will stop attending them? Do you think those Republicans involved with it seriously desire a more educated population and a decrease the Black-White achievement gap?

This is the same sort of thing we're seeing across the country - they're trying to justify segregating out the student bodies even further, isolate the most struggling group in the black population even more, and destroy any semblance of public schooling all with some whitewashing of, "But we offered scholardships!" (most of which will go to non-black kids).

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I get what they are trying to say but I don't really agree with them. I will say I would like to see public schools fixed, but I doubt it ever happens.

Every country in the world that has a great education system has gotten there by investing in their public schools and ensuring a universally good public education.

The #1 reason the USA isn't matching them right now is because conservatives have been fighting for the entire life of this country to segregate schools and fukk over the poor and black ones. This is a FURTHERANCE in their pursuit of that goal, not a sudden 180 cause they fell in love with Black kids.

The only way to fight this is to end the forced segregation of schools and educational resources, not to justify the segregation on some "fukk dem kids" bullshyt.

New Jeruz Jewelz

Wavey Vertigo Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Mofos complain just to complain. nikka my public school was a war zone just like many today. Let some of these kids with potential get that grant and level up.

Stop being militant about everything

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
I haven't read all the fine print on this yet, but if the ultimate outcome is for more underprivileged Black children to receive a better overall education than I'm for it.
No disrespect but that thinking is part of the problem. All it does is help a select few students per failing school.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
You saying black kids won't benefit. Prove it

For the people who aren't willing to do work to understand the issue, the best proof is to look at all the right-wing, hardcore conservatives who are behind it. Do you SERIOUSLY think they want to help Black kids with taxpayer funds? :why:

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
Folks really need to drop this lack of funding argument. :camby: Additional funding doesn't mean shyt if parents continue to not be involved in the kids education and not communicate with their teachers. Yes, education has a real systematic problem. However, I talked to teachers up and down the east coast and they all said the same thing. Black parents are in low numbers when it comes to being involved in their kids educations. Meanwhile, I can go to a pop warner football game and it looks like a block party.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
You can't fix public schools with donated money. Stop pretending that you can. You can only fix public schools by changing the entire economic environment of the community around that school.

Parents with either the time or resources to supplement classroom activity, a safe home/neighborhood , positive and encouraging environment, visible goals, etc...... That's what you need to change public schools.