Jay supports $300 M scholarships for Penn teens, critics say he's feeling like a Black Republican

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
They want black kids to stay in their failing crumbling schools. If they can help our kids get scholarships go to somewhere better with more opportunity good for them.
Stop. Public schools are crumbling due to a lack of sufficient funding. If this legislation passes, it will make things even worse. They want to use tax-payer money to fund these bullshyt voucher programs. Programs that have been shown to *not* benefit Black students.

I'm guessing Jay z's involvement would mean the opposite.
Why would you believe this? He has thrown his lot in with the Jeffrey Yass/Betsy DeVos agenda of dismantling the Public school system across the country. This is bad.

:dwillhuh:He’s not donating money to the schools. He’s paying for their tuition. Is there a large low income white/jewish community in Philly?
He isn't paying anything. The money is coming out of the tax-payers pocket at the expense of public schools.

King Harlem

Superstar
Daps
This is a disaster of a plan. Philadelphia spends 4.3 billion dollars on its K-12 system yet it spends 6.7 billion dollars on its police force. The last thing Public schools need is to lose more funding for charter schools that pick and choose which Black students to give access to.

These Charter schools lack Black cultural pedagogies, Ignore Black students who have/suffer from disabilities, Ableism and learning disorders.

Not only that these white cultural charter schools, never challenge the idea of what it means to think just churn out assimilated Black folks to a world that already doesn’t understand them.

Love Jay to death but this isn’t it at all.

Also, there are a lot of Charter schools (several ones that are predominately Black - including the Jalen Rose Academy, Civicorps, etc). To paint them all negatively isn't fair and they should be judged from school to school

Higher Tech

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gary, Indiana
This is a disaster of a plan. Philadelphia spends 4.3 billion dollars on its K-12 system yet it spends 6.7 billion dollars on its police force. The last thing Public schools need is to lose more funding for charter schools that pick and choose which Black students to give access to.

These Charter schools lack Black cultural pedagogies, Ignore Black students who have/suffer from disabilities, Ableism, ignore those who come from the most capitalist exploited homes and suffer from medical and emotional learning disorders.

Not only that these white cultural charter schools, never challenge the idea of what it means to think just churn out assimilated Black folks to a world that already doesn’t understand them.

BINGO!

You get funding for kids long enough to say the charter schools are sustainable, close enough of the public school until charter and private are primary options. Then with state budgets dropping, the charter schools will close based on funding unless you have a Jay-Z doing private funding and fundraising every few years.

Charter schools are notorious for cooking the numbers by denying the kids that don’t perform well. It’s a feel-good idea with long term consequences.

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO

These Charter schools lack Black cultural pedagogies, Ignore Black students who have/suffer from disabilities, Ableism, ignore those who come from the most capitalist exploited homes and suffer from medical and emotional learning disorders.

What u gonna do for these kids?

Higher Tech

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gary, Indiana
Also, there are a lot of Charter schools (several ones that are predominately Black - including the Jalen Rose Academy, Civicorps, etc). To paint them all negatively isn't fair and they should be judged from school to school
Jalen’s school is the minority. Charter schools are 100% for profit. The majority of them, regardless of racial makeups, will run the schools barebones to get the largest profit.

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
:patrice:Not sure about this. I went to private schools for most of my life but understand as an older man that Public school systems need more support. He can do what he wants and there is nothing I am mad about, but yea...private schools don't need any more support.

Yeah optics it looks bad like it looks like a tax write off to me :dwillhuh:

King Harlem

Superstar
Daps
I haven't read all the fine print on this yet, but if the ultimate outcome is for more underprivileged Black children to receive a better overall education than I'm for it.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Why do y'all have so much faith in public education when studies have shown that it caters young white girls? Black children are punished more , especially young black boys.

We aren't honest about how money is spent in public education and we need more male teachers and teachers of color in there. Why not give young black kids a leg up in private education?

My sister and I did some private school growing up. I was given the opportunity to go to a STEM focused magnet school but my mother didn't have the money. Who knows what would have happened if we had the money to do so. :yeshrug:

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Why do y'all have so much faith in public education when studies have shown that it caters young white girls? Black children are punished more , especially young black boys.

We aren't honest about how money is spent in public education and we need more male teachers and teachers of color in there. Why not give young black kids a leg up in private education?

My sister and I did some private school growing up. I was given the opportunity to go to a STEM focused magnet school but my mother didn't have the money. Who knows what would have happened if we had the money to do so. :yeshrug:
These schools are PRIVATE

Why do yall have faith that a proposed voucher system to let kids from all walks of life EN MASSE is done in good faith?

It would defeat the purpose

Those schools are exclusive by nature, doing this lowers their value