Albums Jay Electronica - A Written Testimony (Discussion Thread)

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Are the people who always talk about mixing, mastering, and how clear shyt is the same people who rock jeans with crease :mjgrin:

I remember when Mbdtf dropped and these people really thought Def Jam, Kanye West and all these people forgot how to mix albums because it had a dirty sound to it :snoop:. Kanye was experimenting with that shyt for years, even used a live version of a song with The Food, when he liked it better than the original.

• Dap
Reactions: TEH

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don’t take Coli opinions seriously I’ve been posting on hip hop message boards since 1997

I’ve seen people shyt on every classic album

they shyt on 2001, The College Dripout, They destroyed 808’s and heartbreaks, MBDTF, Every Kendrick release, every J Cole release, they panned Watch The Throne ...

And I say this not even as a fan of all the pro black rappers and Electronica I say this as a hip hop fan from way back

Go listen to your favorite mumble rapper ... I’m calling it now this will be a revered album in the future

You can't, positive or negative. Overall this just isn't the place you go to for a highly knowledgeable or objective opinion, with some exceptions of course. But it's polluted with stans and haters, most have some agenda or angle, it's usually to do with artists they stan and pushing narratives, it's a pathetic thing for adults to do, I'm not sure why they do it at this point.

I hardly post in The Booth anymore because the discussion and intelligence level is so low. People wanna argue childishly all the time instead of discussing. Always switching it to some next irrelevant shyt.

I've always been the type of Hip Hop head that is honest, I judge off the music not how much I like the artist. I've critiqued albums from artists I highly respect and criticized if that was my opinion or praised if it was due. All the stan shyt have always found very childish and boring too. You've got groups on here that are self admitted stans lol.

I'm glad to see this album has restored the feeling though lol. It's made for some interesting discussions with some, especially with some about the album and also topics that were discussed due to the content of the album. Makes a refreshing change, for on here at least.

The Booth for music is probably the worst forum I've ever been on when it comes to knowledge level and discussion, Ill Community was ILL and lived up to it's name back in the day, SOHH at 1 point was pretty interesting. The Booth has been stale and dead, but Jay Electronica mentally resurrecting the dead for a while lol.

And you're right with the other point you said too, whether it's Illmatic or whatever celebrated album, it's been shytted on on here hugely. I forget the trolls name but he made a whole Coli career out of shytting on Illmatic lol. You know where a lot of people will stand before the album even comes out, which means no objectivity.

"They destroyed 808’s and heartbreaks, MBDTF, Every Kendrick release, every J Cole release, they panned Watch The Throne ..."

I completely agree with this, in a whole other dimension to the Kanye albums, infact I personally feel this is better than any Kanye album. 808 shyt was wack to me, MBDTF highly overrated too. Also this is gonna upset people but it's how I genuinely feel, I feel this is way better than any Kendrick album and I've listened to all of them, I like some songs off GKMC and I like and respect some songs from TPAB, I relistened to the latter after the anniversary thread was made and it was unlistenable to me bar a few tracks. I didn't feel it at the time, and I don't feel it now. I like a few songs though as I mentioned but it's not a cohesive album and I probably at the time specifically picked out my feelings of the flaws of the album, no hate just specifics. Kendrick can rap well at times and deliver some nice lyrics at times too, I actually want him to do well because I think because he can have a lyrical and poetic approach at times it's good for the state of the mainstream but judging off the music I don't at all see him as what a lot of people do. And that's fine because everybody is entitled to their views. I quite like J Cole too, I liked the 4YEO album and saw some growth in him, but Jay Electronica for me is really a master lyricist and MC, to a level where most don't even understand what's going on.

And sonically this album was reminiscent somewhat of Watch The Throne to me, but A LOT better because the lyricism and content is on a higher level. Jay-Z and Jay Electronica is kind of the album I didn't know I needed but it worked excellently to me, almost like 1 of the dream collab albums we've anticipated of the years never got, so this was like an unexpected gift to me and 1 thing for sure to me is their chemistry together seems organic. I wonder if it's partly due to Jay Elec having some similarities to Biggie in some ways and Jay-Z and Biggie were great together.

Some people will dislike the album no matter what, many are certainly fronting because it's agenda based and I'm sure some don't understand it yet and some are also genuine. But the people that do like the album and rate it highly I'm very confident that will remain because the album has substance that will make it sustain, I also think it will grow on some as they understand it more over time after gaining more knowledge and life experience.

• Dap

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
I don’t take Coli opinions seriously I’ve been posting on hip hop message boards since 1997

I’ve seen people shyt on every classic album

they shyt on 2001, The College Dripout, They destroyed 808’s and heartbreaks, MBDTF, Every Kendrick release, every J Cole release, they panned Watch The Throne ...

And I say this not even as a fan of all the pro black rappers and Electronica I say this as a hip hop fan from way back

Go listen to your favorite mumble rapper ... I’m calling it now this will be a revered album in the future

Good lord you have terrible taste if THOSE are the albums you feel obligated to protect publicly.

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
You can't, positive or negative. Overall this just isn't the place you go to for a highly knowledgeable or objective opinion, with some exceptions of course. But it's polluted with stans and haters, most have some agenda or angle, it's usually to do with artists they stan and pushing narratives, it's a pathetic thing for adults to do, I'm not sure why they do it at this point.

I hardly post in The Booth anymore because the discussion and intelligence level is so low. People wanna argue childishly all the time instead of discussing. Always switching it to some next irrelevant shyt.

I've always been the type of Hip Hop head that is honest, I judge off the music not how much I like the artist. I've critiqued albums from artists I highly respect and criticized if that was my opinion or praised if it was due. All the stan shyt have always found very childish and boring too. You've got groups on here that are self admitted stans lol.

I'm glad to see this album has restored the feeling though lol. It's made for some interesting discussions with some, especially with some about the album and also topics that were discussed due to the content of the album. Makes a refreshing change, for on here at least.

The Booth for music is probably the worst forum I've ever been on when it comes to knowledge level and discussion, Ill Community was ILL and lived up to it's name back in the day, SOHH at 1 point was pretty interesting. The Booth has been stale and dead, but Jay Electronica mentally resurrecting the dead for a while lol.

And you're right with the other point you said too, whether it's Illmatic or whatever celebrated album, it's been shytted on on here hugely. I forget the trolls name but he made a whole Coli career out of shytting on Illmatic lol. You know where a lot of people will stand before the album even comes out, which means no objectivity.

"They destroyed 808’s and heartbreaks, MBDTF, Every Kendrick release, every J Cole release, they panned Watch The Throne ..."

I completely agree with this, in a whole other dimension to the Kanye albums, infact I personally feel this is better than any Kanye album. 808 shyt was wack to me, MBDTF highly overrated too. Also this is gonna upset people but it's how I genuinely feel, I feel this is way better than any Kendrick album and I've listened to all of them, I like some songs off GKMC and I like and respect some songs from TPAB, I relistened to the latter after the anniversary thread was made and it was unlistenable to me bar a few tracks. I didn't feel it at the time, and I don't feel it now. I like a few songs though as I mentioned but it's not a cohesive album and I probably at the time specifically picked out my feelings of the flaws of the album, no hate just specifics. Kendrick can rap well at times and deliver some nice lyrics at times too, I actually want him to do well because I think because he can have a lyrical and poetic approach at times it's good for the state of the mainstream but judging off the music I don't at all see him as what a lot of people do. And that's fine because everybody is entitled to their views. I quite like J Cole too, I liked the 4YEO album and saw some growth in him, but Jay Electronica for me is really a master lyricist and MC, to a level where most don't even understand what's going on.

And sonically this album was reminiscent somewhat of Watch The Throne to me, but A LOT better because the lyricism and content is on a higher level. Jay-Z and Jay Electronica is kind of the album I didn't know I needed but it worked excellently to me, almost like 1 of the dream collab albums we've anticipated of the years never got, so this was like an unexpected gift to me and 1 thing for sure to me is their chemistry together seems organic. I wonder if it's partly due to Jay Elec having some similarities to Biggie in some ways and Jay-Z and Biggie were great together.

Some people will dislike the album no matter what, many are certainly fronting because it's agenda based and I'm sure some don't understand it yet and some are also genuine. But the people that do like the album and rate it highly I'm very confident that will remain because the album has substance that will make it sustain, I also think it will grow on some as they understand it more over time after gaining more knowledge and life experience.
Exactly

One of the main agendas here is the content being offense to them

Also stans of Joe and other rappers who are tired and jealous of him being considered a GOAT contender trying to tear down his legacy before its cemented

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Exactly

One of the main agendas here is the content being offense to them

Also stans of Joe and other rappers who are tired and jealous of him being considered a GOAT contender trying to tear down his legacy before its cemented

Yeah, I've seen the content thing a lot from a lot of critics, even beyond here. Is Jewish groups attacking him now and calling him an anti-semite, Rosenberg put the dog whistle. I have no issues with Jewish people or any people for that matter, judge everybody on an individual basis, but I don't like what Rosenberg did, there's sections of stans whether it be Kendrick stans or Nas stans or whoever else that want to shyt on it by any means, Kendrick because a lot of them were hurt when Jay Elec dissed him/replied to him and they never forgave him for that and Nas stans just because Jay-Z is on it, which is super weird to me because Jay Elec and Nas are mad cool. It's weird, I hope 1 day they are on some joints together. I like all of the greats, so I just judge off music.

And Joe Budden I don't even take seriously, he's a clown, a troll and a media attention whore to me. He will say anything to get attention, his mouth consistently has got him in trouble and I'm sure at some point it will again. I rarely listen to what Joe Budden says, he is a bitter, jealous, negative person. He is a dope MC, as I said can be objective, but I don't feel he's ever made an album better than Jay Elect's, infact someone else highly knowledgeable said that to me earlier.

I just hope Jay Elec just ignores fools and continues to do his thing, this album was a blessing and the world and music could do with more of this type of music.

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Good lord you have terrible taste if THOSE are the albums you feel obligated to protect publicly.
Watch the Throne is becoming a low key classic among heads now I’m sure you wouldn’t know that ... also Kanye, Kendrick and Cole are the few artists of the 21st century mainstream who have classics .... I’m not about to name Doom or Roc Marci or some other underground rapper that haters and stans didn’t notice when it was dropped ... I can laugh and joke too but you all play too much ... this hip hop shyt is serious

ReasonableMatic

Daps
My train is on schedule,
But I had to take the Underground Railroad like Harriet
Weave the whole industry, every jab I've parried it
My cross I carried it
My crown of thorns to cavalry from Nazareth
The orbit was too wide to calculate the azimuth
The journey was technically unexplainable, hazardous
Rise, young gods, all paths lead to Lazarus
The dry bones that lifted up from the valley dust
The prayers of the slaves are the wings that carried us
A field full of dreams is where they tried to BURY us

- Jay Electronica (Fruits Of The Spirit)

Whew!!
full

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
Watch the Throne is becoming a low key classic among heads now I’m sure you wouldn’t know that ... also Kanye, Kendrick and Cole are the few artists of the 21st century mainstream who have classics .... I’m not about to name Doom or Roc Marci or some other underground rapper that haters and stans didn’t notice when it was dropped ... I can laugh and joke too but you all play too much ... this hip hop shyt is serious

WTT is glitzy, vapid & dull. Kanye is an all time dunderhead fakkit who makes sickening music and Cole is so ho hum he isn't even worth hearing let alone discussing.

Rap is serious. It's also seriously not for you.

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
WTT is glitzy, vapid & dull. Kanye is an all time dunderhead fakkit who makes sickening music and Cole is so ho hum he isn't even worth hearing let alone discussing.

Go find a hole to die in white man

telling a black man and a hip hop scholar rap isn’t for him

King Kai

Supporter
Daps

calm down, bytch nikka :russell:

you also think TPAB is wack

• Dap

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My train is on schedule,
But I had to take the Underground Railroad like Harriet
Weave the whole industry, every jab I've parried it
My cross I carried it
My crown of thorns to cavalry from Nazareth
The orbit was too wide to calculate the azimuth
The journey was technically unexplainable, hazardous
Rise, young gods, all paths lead to Lazarus
The dry bones that lifted up from the valley dust
The prayers of the slaves are the wings that carried us
A field full of dreams is where they tried to BURY us

- Jay Electronica (Fruits Of The Spirit)

Whew!!
full

Got goosebumps when I heard that line.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Interesting posts. I will say that this is the type of rap album that becomes polarizing here because it doesn't appeal to multiple groups of fans, or creates tension.

1. Off bat, the trap/turn up rap posters here aren't going to fukk with this at all - and they're gonna make it known.

2.The involvement of Hov means that discussion will inevitably turn into a Nas discussion that can go from being cordial to explosive in 2 seconds.

3. The introspective, reserved tone of the album will inevitably result in a flurry of posters complaining about the lack of "bangers."

4. Finally, the fact that this shyt took over a decade to come out will inevitably lead to some people expressing disappointment.

The perfect recipe for Coli Booth fukkery. Kind of reminds me of TPAB in a sense, in terms of the sound being so out of bounds from what people expected or are able to digest, music palate wise.

Personally it's like I said...if someone from the future visited you a year ago and said "the album will come out in March 2020, and it'll sound more like Dear Moleskin than Exhibit C"...would you be upset? That's what this album is to me. It's not the Exhibit C, big record type shyt. It's Dear Moleskin, Better In Tune With The Infinite, Departure...those records. This entire journey didn't start with Exhibit C. It started with Act One: Eternal Sunshine. You know...a track with no drums, simple loops, and amazingly introspective lyrics. Those were the tracks that made me think this dude was special. Exhibit A/B/C were like icing on the cake.