Albums Jay Electronica - A Written Testimony (Discussion Thread)

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Gives me much joy that I don't agree with this motherfukker at all. I loved all the things on the record he disliked.
He’s mad that hip hop doesn’t cater to him. I hate that he’s never objective and most people can’t see that ... he underrates albums because of personality or subject matter. By the way this is the same person who said MBDTF was below average ... sorry I can’t take him seriously. He should stick to rock reviews.

ajnapoleon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He’s mad that hip hop doesn’t cater to him. I hate that he’s never objective and most people can’t see that ... he underrates albums because of personality or subject matter. By the way this is the same person who said MBDTF was below average ... sorry I can’t take him seriously. He should stick to rock reviews.

The first sentence says it all ....its not catering to him it never have

They love it when its murder death kill drugs going at black people

Shoot some black people want to hear that all album

I hope there will be more of a balance with this album it was alot to unpack references alot of them

This is what the web site rap genius is need for

ReasonableMatic

Daps
You can catch this broad daylight,
you know the Kingdom come, sir
That wheel inside The Wheel, a half a mile in circumference
It's the return of the Mahdi, it's the return of the Akhis
It's the return of the lost and found tribe of Shabazz, the Annunakis

- Jay Electronica (The Blinding)

1. The Nation Of Islam believe in The Mother Plane
ETeCC1TXkAE26al

2. The Book of Ezekiel in the Bible describes an encounter with an UFO
ETeCC1TWoAIwJ7h

3. An ilustration of Ezekiel’s encounter with "the wheel inside The Wheel"
08PLANTATION3SUB-jumbo.jpg

4. The wheel inside The Wheel
ETeCC1UX0AEDpCx

(The wheel inside The Wheel explains why "Ezekiel’s Wheel" sounds so spacey) :wow:
That Ancient history / UFO / Religious scripture theme all throughout the album is wild :ohlawd:

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You can catch this broad daylight,
you know the Kingdom come, sir
That wheel inside The Wheel, a half a mile in circumference
It's the return of the Mahdi, it's the return of the Akhis
It's the return of the lost and found tribe of Shabazz, the Annunakis

- Jay Electronica (The Blinding)

1. The Nation Of Islam believe in The Mother Plane
ETeCC1TXkAE26al

2. The Book of Ezekiel in the Bible describes an encounter with an UFO
ETeCC1TWoAIwJ7h

3. An ilustration of Ezekiel’s encounter with "the wheel inside The Wheel"
08PLANTATION3SUB-jumbo.jpg

4. The wheel inside The Wheel
ETeCC1UX0AEDpCx

(The wheel inside The Wheel explains why "Ezekiel’s Wheel" sounds so spacey) :wow:
That Ancient history / UFO / Religious scripture theme all throughout the album is wild :ohlawd:

I love information like this. Joe said he wasn’t talking about anything?

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
I listened to the entire Budden segment on the album...and I'm left wondering why people listen to this shyt, if that is an accurate example of the quality of rap discussions. Budden seems frustrated that the Elect's lyrics are far more religious than on previous songs...but to take that and say "he's not talking about anything/he's not talking about his life" is a weird fukking complaint. That's like listening to some dense Wu slang and saying "they're not talking about anything." It's not 1996, Google exists fam. You can look this shyt up.
:hhh:

Another thing, the white dude off camera complaining about shyt being "just loops." Yet loved the Alchemist beat lol. You see it right? Since when do hip hop fans criticize loops? It's a staple of hip hop...some of the best hip hop beats are simple ass loops. Most of Jay Elect's best songs before this album were loops. I don't get it. He's always been more DOOM than Dilla as a producer...and it's never been an issue because he has a great ear for off kilter, atmospheric samples/sounds. It works for him.

And then...the idea that Griselda's lo fi shyt influenced this...have these dudes actually listened to Jay Elect beyond Exhibit C? Eternal Sunshine had no drums. Before Roc Marci and Alchemist dropped Reloaded. Years before in fact. He's always been on that lo fi wave. They seem upset this album doesn't sound big...and I get that complaint in the sense that Just Blaze clearly would have provided a bigger sound...but there's joy to be found in lo fi shyt as well. The beats are dope. This isn't stadium music, this isn't Madison Square Garden music...but it's dope.
Hip Hop heads don't criticize loops, p*ssy ass wannabes and culture vultures do. If a beat is looped that means the lyrics are more important, whereas if the beat is some big production you get lost in it and ignore the simplistic lyrics. Basically loops make you actually have to step your game up.

C-Styles

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Windy City
This is the difference between the Fab and jada album and this collab album. Jada and fab had rhymes that you can digest right away, with great production behind it that you can go back over and over again. Plus the fact that they have unique vocal tones. Brehs, this ain't a spoken word poetry session, this is still MUSIC!! You need to bring it from all angles! I can honestly say this album does not have a "SOUL FOOD" caliber type song and once again JUST BLAZE was very much needed in this project. I don't care how OUTSTANDING the rhymes were or the hidden gems because LUPE brings it on the production side and does it with such brilliance and effectiveness. Stop copping excuses for this album, it's a 3.5 at best. Jay carried the load and i dont see myself listening to this years down the road like i do with watch the throne or the Documentary. It's ok to say an album failed due to it being BORING on the production side. It's ok to say you know what, this ain't it, can't deny it had a few joints but if people are comparing songs to exhibit C, that says EVERYTHING! You still gotta factor in the replay value factor. This has little to none. :yeshrug:

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Listen if Jay wanted to be on most rappers first solo album they would not turn him down!

I get it this album isn’t for everyone. But there’s no way the same people who love Griselda, Roc Marci, Ka, and so on are complaining about the production. It’s a great album I’m not calling it a classic.

Flux has the only weak verses on it. And they’re not ass.

It’s crazy cause the only time most y’all will agree with Joe Budden is when he’s pushing a narrative y’all agree. Other than that you all have nothing nice to say joe Budden