Albums Jay Electronica - A Written Testimony (Discussion Thread)

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Interesting posts. I will say that this is the type of rap album that becomes polarizing here because it doesn't appeal to multiple groups of fans, or creates tension.

1. Off bat, the trap/turn up rap posters here aren't going to fukk with this at all - and they're gonna make it known.

2.The involvement of Hov means that discussion will inevitably turn into a Nas discussion that can go from being cordial to explosive in 2 seconds.

3. The introspective, reserved tone of the album will inevitably result in a flurry of posters complaining about the lack of "bangers."

4. Finally, the fact that this shyt took over a decade to come out will inevitably lead to some people expressing disappointment.

The perfect recipe for Coli Booth fukkery. Kind of reminds me of TPAB in a sense, in terms of the sound being so out of bounds from what people expected or are able to digest, music palate wise.

Personally it's like I said...if someone from the future visited you a year ago and said "the album will come out in March 2020, and it'll sound more like Dear Moleskin than Exhibit C"...would you be upset? That's what this album is to me. It's not the Exhibit C, big record type shyt. It's Dear Moleskin, Better In Tune With The Infinite, Departure...those records. This entire journey didn't start with Exhibit C. It started with Act One: Eternal Sunshine. You know...a track with no drums, simple loops, and amazingly introspective lyrics. Those were the tracks that made me think this dude was special. Exhibit A/B/C were like icing on the cake.

A lot of good points in this post, regarding the Exhibit C thing I feel similarly, I like the song but it's not amoung my favourite songs of his, I love Better In Tune With The Infinite.

I prefer him over production with moods that fit the theme rather than conventional banger type beats. That's not what I'm looking for from him.

What I wanted from Jay Electronica was some poetic and spiritual lyrics that exhibited skill which I feel I got, also the ill references he has which I'm a fan of. I wanted to emotionally feel it and technically appreciate it and I did both so I was satisfied.

I loved a lot of previous work not just 1 song, so I knew what I was getting. I'm satisfied, it wasn't what I expected in some senses and I think you touched on that too, I didn't expect Jay-Z to be on it so much but he was dope on it so I'm not mad at that at all. Aside from that it's along the lines of what I expected and hoped for.

The way it turned out I'm actually really happy, I didn't expect the Jay-Z shyt but I'm feeling it, maybe it threw some off, but for me their chemistry has always been really good so it was a welcomed suprise. Upon hearing it was gonna be that way I wasn't sure what to expect but actually listening to it greatly enjoyed it. Jay added a different energy.

I saw a tweet saying Jay-Z on the album was like Detroit Red and Jay Elec was like Malcolm in the N.O.I, not comparing them to him but was an interesting analogy to me because I see that, Jay-Z felt more like the guy who's just left the street or making a transition, almost new to Islam, and Jay Elec was like a long time believer that's teaching now. They both brought different perspectives and vibes but 1 that complemented eachother well. Jay-Z may attract the casual audience cause he's Jay-Z and flashy and some of his verses have nice depth too but the close listeners with understanding will also really appreciate Jay Elect's work. He was well versed, you can tell he's studied what he's talking about for years, he seems quite diverse character as his references were vast and often perfectly chosen and fitting the subject and theme he was talking about.

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Solid 4 out of 5, album is dope. It's weird how good they sound together, wasn't expecting that. The production fits the mood of the album, anybody expecting a "bangin" album of course is gonna be disappointed, they're stupid anyway for expecting that. Are we considering this album Electronica's debut or is it just a collab album with Jay-z? Either way, salute to them gentlemen, they talking that shyt and they both sound sharp. I read somebody say "The Blinding" was the worst song on here, lol, that shyt is probably the best song to me, I just wish Jay-z laid a full verse when the beat changed.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I listened to the entire Budden segment on the album...and I'm left wondering why people listen to this shyt, if that is an accurate example of the quality of rap discussions. Budden seems frustrated that the Elect's lyrics are far more religious than on previous songs...but to take that and say "he's not talking about anything/he's not talking about his life" is a weird fukking complaint. That's like listening to some dense Wu slang and saying "they're not talking about anything." It's not 1996, Google exists fam. You can look this shyt up.
:hhh:

Another thing, the white dude off camera complaining about shyt being "just loops." Yet loved the Alchemist beat lol. You see it right? Since when do hip hop fans criticize loops? It's a staple of hip hop...some of the best hip hop beats are simple ass loops. Most of Jay Elect's best songs before this album were loops. I don't get it. He's always been more DOOM than Dilla as a producer...and it's never been an issue because he has a great ear for off kilter, atmospheric samples/sounds. It works for him.

And then...the idea that Griselda's lo fi shyt influenced this...have these dudes actually listened to Jay Elect beyond Exhibit C? Eternal Sunshine had no drums. Before Roc Marci and Alchemist dropped Reloaded. Years before in fact. He's always been on that lo fi wave. They seem upset this album doesn't sound big...and I get that complaint in the sense that Just Blaze clearly would have provided a bigger sound...but there's joy to be found in lo fi shyt as well. The beats are dope. This isn't stadium music, this isn't Madison Square Garden music...but it's dope.

King Kai

Supporter
Daps
Hasbro woke album for toys. I imagine you giggling like a sissy playing if these walls could talk.
ok

tenor.gif

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
I listened to the entire Budden segment on the album...and I'm left wondering why people listen to this shyt, if that is an accurate example of the quality of rap discussions. Budden seems frustrated that the Elect's lyrics are far more religious than on previous songs...but to take that and say "he's not talking about anything/he's not talking about his life" is a weird fukking complaint. That's like listening to some dense Wu slang and saying "they're not talking about anything." It's not 1996, Google exists fam. You can look this shyt up.
:hhh:

Another thing, the white dude off camera complaining about shyt being "just loops." Yet loved the Alchemist beat lol. You see it right? Since when do hip hop fans criticize loops? It's a staple of hip hop...some of the best hip hop beats are simple ass loops. Most of Jay Elect's best songs before this album were loops. I don't get it. He's always been more DOOM than Dilla as a producer...and it's never been an issue because he has a great ear for off kilter, atmospheric samples/sounds. It works for him.

And then...the idea that Griselda's lo fi shyt influenced this...have these dudes actually listened to Jay Elect beyond Exhibit C? Eternal Sunshine had no drums. Before Roc Marci and Alchemist dropped Reloaded. Years before in fact. He's always been on that lo fi wave. They seem upset this album doesn't sound big...and I get that complaint in the sense that Just Blaze clearly would have provided a bigger sound...but there's joy to be found in lo fi shyt as well. The beats are dope. This isn't stadium music, this isn't Madison Square Garden music...but it's dope.
does budden say anything specific about islam?

• Dap
Reactions: TEH

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
does budden say anything specific about islam?
Nah. Sounded like he's not religious and has no interest. Whereas even the white cohost said the album made him look shyt up.

I'm not religious at all and even I looked up some of the references. It's clear from listening to the album that Jay Elect struggled with demons before rededicating himself to religion. Anyone who followed his career from the beginning knew he was clearly a heavy drinker and maybe dabbled in other stuff. While simultaneously being Muslim. Sounds like he cleaned himself up and wants to spread the word that saved him. How is that equal to "he's not talking about his life"?

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
Nah. Sounded like he's not religious and has no interest. Whereas even the white cohost said the album made him look shyt up.

I'm not religious at all and even I looked up some of the references. It's clear from listening to the album that Jay Elect struggled with demons before rededicating himself to religion. Anyone who followed his career from the beginning knew he was clearly a heavy drinker and maybe dabbled in other stuff. While simultaneously being Muslim. Sounds like he cleaned himself up and wants to spread the word that saved him. How is that equal to "he's not talking about his life"?
very well put and said, couldn't have agree more!

• Dap
Reactions: TEH

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Buttons is a hoe, but he was right. Its basically a duet album and he got overshadowed by Jay. Jay Elec is a sophisticated mumble rapper.

And pitchfork is is fukkin horrible. This is the kinda trash they would rate high

This nikka wasted damn near 15 years only to drop some mediocre shyt in the midst of a global pandemic that’s carried by a washed ass Jay-Z

First fukking verse you hear is from Jay-Z. This dude Jay Elec really couldn't cobble together enough verses for nine solo songs after over a decade so Hov had to finish the fukking album himself. :dead:

Every song is just waiting to hear Jay-Z's verse if it isn't the first one. Not surprised The Coli is overrating this shyt.

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

A Time-Stopping Exhibit by Jay Electronica

Jay-Electronica_03-24-2020.jpg

ex·hib·it (/iɡˈzibət)
Verb
1. To publicly display (a work of art or item of interest) in an art gallery or museum or at a trade fair.
“Only one sculpture was exhibited in the artist’s lifetime”

Noun 2. An object or collection of objects on public display in an art gallery or museum or at a trade fair.

I felt it was necessary to lay out a clear definition of the word “exhibit” because Timothy E. Thedford, professionally known to the world as Jay Electronica, appeared to us in 2008 and 2009 in the form of an “exhibit.” When he connected with producer Just Blaze to give the world “Exhibit A” and then “Exhibit C,” no one thought that a brother from New Orleans would give us a work of art that would leave hip-hop enthusiasts and rhyme connoisseurs alike with their mouths wide open saying “WHO THE !@#$ IS THAT?”

With practically one single, people were comparing him to the genre’s greats like Rakim and Nas. And it was a fair comparison.

With no flashy campaign or multi-million-dollar advertising budget, Jay and Blaze gave us an “exhibit” that still knocks TODAY. The world wanted more. There were so many rumors of unfulfilled release dates that one was more likely to take a selfie with Big Foot before they would see an official Jay Electronica album.

Jay-Electronica_03-24-2020b.jpg

Album artwork for 'A Written Testimony' by Jay Electronica
Even though he would go on to sign with the storied Roc Nation, many thought the project would meet the same fate as Dr. Dre’s “Detox” album and never see the light of day. After teasing his fans with a single here or there over the span of a decade, Jay finally hurled a meteor at the earth in the form of “A Written Testimony,” released Friday, March 13.

Coming in at 10 tracks (perhaps he only recorded one song per year?), Jay Electronica delivers a time-stopping exhibit that jumps out the gate with the voice of the Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan (who is actually given writer’s credit on the track and is referenced many times throughout the album) for the intro.

The next voice we hear is that of none other than Jay-Z. Then we hear him again. And again. And again. What we have here, ladies and gentlemen, actually is a full-length duet album! Surprise! Depending upon your opinion, this could either serve as a distraction from the man you’ve been waiting 10 years to hear.....or see it as the biggest co-sign in hip-hop history. Both are in tip-top lyrical form giving us a 2020 version of a “conscious” Watch The Throne. Their chemistry throughout the album is undeniable.

If you are looking for a club banger, a pop hit, a radio single, a dance tune, none of the above can be found here and this album is likely not for you. This is a RAPPER’S album. Approximately one-third of it doesn’t even have a drum track. You are forced to zero in on what is being SAID. And THAT’S where the win is for this album: lyrical content that will have you hitting rewind to understand how he effortlessly flows from English to Arabic to Spanish....and makes it sound DOPE.

The rhymes are the centerpiece here. But his subject matter of the teachings of the Honorable Elijah Muhammad, the inspiration of the Minister, God, Blackness, his own personal triumphs and failures are enough to keep you glued to your earpods to hear how he ties it all together.

Was it worth the wait? My answer is “yes” and here’s why: how many rappers have come and gone in the last decade? How many trends have come and gone? Today, attention is the #1 form of currency and the average rap fan has the attention span of a flea. Consequently, artists have put out mixtapes every five minutes just to keep ours. Not Jay Elect. The fact that he’s kept us waiting this long and we, the fickle rap audience, still care what he even has to say is a miracle within itself.

Jay Electronica is the manifestation of the “less is more” ideology reminiscent of hip-hop’s version of Sade. You might have to wait awhile, but when that plate hits the table, it will be more than enough to keep you digesting it for years. This album represents the paradigm shift we’ve waited 10 years for.

DJRockwellATL_03-24-2020.jpg

Vaughn Muhammad a.k.a. DJ Rockwell has practiced the art of hip-hop since the age of 13. He is an Atlanta-based artist and is founder of the NOI Hip Hop Network. When not in the studio, DJ Rockwell is a mobile DJ and has been hired to perform at everything from weddings and birthday parties to major corporate-sponsored events. Follow him on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook @DJRockwellATL.

A Time-Stopping Exhibit by Jay Electronica

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I really don’t see what the big deal is here:yeshrug:

if you like Wu and some of the fam, Mach, Roc Marc, ALC, Madlib, Nas then your going to like this. It’s a solid 4/5 I could care less with going “deep” in a analysis on this being his first album in 10 years or if Hov is on all the tracks. Dope production gems being dropped that’s it, there isn’t a whole lot to unpack besides some lyrics if you aren’t in the know.