[Jason Schreier] Sony’s Obsession with Blockbusters is Stirring Unrest in the PlayStation Empire

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Honestly the momentum of the PS5 is coming from the PS4 the next 2 - 3 years will be the telling part. I don't like the sound of Sony focusing more on blockbusters that's more in line with the 2010 microsoft that took less risks on games. Microsoft seems to be turning that around with game pass and fully embracing indie developers where it seems like Sony is doing the opposite. A last of Us Remake is not the way to go since you don't need to remake an already great game that came out less than 10 years ago. I'd rather them put there resources into a new game and provide new experiences since that's what Sony has been known for in the past. I feel like this gen is Sony is going to be humbled because Microsoft is playing thanos with the industry right now with their infinite supply of money.

Microsoft is embracing indie developers? Sony literally just gave housemarque a huge budget to make a launch window game for them...

HiiiPower

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They clowned us for Halo Gars Forza, looks like Sony may be doing the same shyt :wow:

How the tables turned :wow:
Y’all couldn’t wait to say this lol, maybe give this gen a couple years first since the PS4 ain’t have shyt until 15 when Bloodbourne & U4 dropped

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Honestly the momentum of the PS5 is coming from the PS4 the next 2 - 3 years will be the telling part. I don't like the sound of Sony focusing more on blockbusters that's more in line with the 2010 microsoft that took less risks on games. Microsoft seems to be turning that around with game pass and fully embracing indie developers where it seems like Sony is doing the opposite. A last of Us Remake is not the way to go since you don't need to remake an already great game that came out less than 10 years ago. I'd rather them put there resources into a new game and provide new experiences since that's what Sony has been known for in the past. I feel like this gen is Sony is going to be humbled because Microsoft is playing thanos with the industry right now with their infinite supply of money.
Yeah Microsoft aint playing, and I think Sony took there "bumps" last gen as a sign of weakness.

Truthfully there isn't much that you see M$ latch on to and hold on too, usually they bow out if the money doesn't make sense. But with gaming not only are they breaking bread, taking L's to grow and investing but also listening to consumers. I don't know if satya nadella and Phil are like super cool or if he just trust phil that much... but he's letting phil make BIG moves bigger than I've seen in done publicly in any division of MS

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Yeah Microsoft aint playing, and I think Sony took there "bumps" last gen as a sign of weakness.

Truthfully there isn't much that you see M$ latch on to and hold on too, usually they bow out if the money doesn't make sense. But with gaming not only are they breaking bread, taking L's to grow and investing but also listening to consumers. I don't know if satya nadella and Phil are like super cool or if he just trust phil that much... but he's letting phil make BIG moves bigger than I've seen in done publicly in any division of MS

I knew you would be in here sucking Phil’s dikk

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Microsoft is embracing indie developers? Sony literally just gave housemarque a huge budget to make a launch window game for them...
When you down on chips sometimes you take those kind of bets.

What else did they have to lose...or gain?

If it sucks :yeshrug: It's Housemarque, If it's tight:blessed: "We here at Sony"

Last edited:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What's funny is people are assuming in about two months, Sony will not announce any new games at E3 or w/e they do.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
What's funny is people are assuming in about two months, Sony will not announce any new games at E3 or w/e they do.

Same ol’ story.

Basically what this article is saying is that, a B team is working on a TLOU compilation and Factions confirmation.

Days gone 2 was not green lit because it bombed critically and sales wise. Part of Bend was assigned to run point with an uncharted game, which seems to now not be in production anymore.

Now Bend is working on a totally new IP

And Naughty Dog proper are most likely working on a new IP

The idea that sony ”only cares about blockbuster titles” doesn’t match up with them giving smaller teams big budgets to create AAA games in the first place. Bend studio being mad about having to help Naughty Dog is like Melo being mad about being a 6th man.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

I read a story a while back that basically explained that Xbox is Microsoft’s technology and business relationships incubator tool.

Xbox has had its up and down years, but the Xbox project as a whole has lead to some of Microsoft’s most profitable products.

They plan to continue that going forward.

Gamepass is their next big thing. It will go beyond Xbox and turn into their huge profit maker for the years to come.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Same ol’ story.

Basically what this article is saying is that, a B team is working on a TLOU compilation and Factions confirmation.

Days gone 2 was not green lit because it bombed critically and sales wise. Part of Bend was assigned to run point with an uncharted game, which seems to now not be in production anymore.

Now Bend is working on a totally new IP

And Naughty Dog proper are most likely working on a new IP

The idea that sony ”only cares about blockbuster titles” doesn’t match up with them giving smaller teams big budgets to create AAA games in the first place. Bend studio being mad about having to help Naughty Dog is like Melo being mad about being a 6th man.

The article has parts of valid concerns, as Sony could easily fall into the trap of just pumping sequels, but it really does overlook that Sony has given their studios a lot of space. Bend getting a shot at a AAA game despite not having actually put out anything on a console first since 2004 is pretty damn crazy.

But I can see why people are touchy about this. You really have stans out here concern trolling over Sony's studios when their preferred platform has:

Created studios just to make Halo and Gears of War

Partied for the last few months over an acquisition headlined by a studio that is about to put out their first non Elder Scrolls or Fallout game since 2002.

Purchased a studio that is best known for making the Fallout game everyone liked, immediately announced their It's Elder Scrolls but not Actually Elder Scrolls game, and had fans asking them to make another Fallout game. But they did make that backyard survival game, so there's that.

Basically, all these companies do the same shyt. They rely on familiar hits to cover them for potential bricks they can catch on them trying something new.

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY

Sony got like 10-13 studios and we already know what they're working on :jbhmm:

Guerilla; Insomniac, and Sucker Punch are either working on sequels(Horizon 2, Spiderman 2), or they're probably on a sequel(Ghosts 2) :jbhmm:

Nobody cares about Media Molecule or the GT developers, they're irrelevant :jbhmm:

That leaves Pixelopis and Sony London :jbhmm:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
The article has parts of valid concerns, as Sony could easily fall into the trap of just pumping sequels, but it really does overlook that Sony has given their studios a lot of space. Bend getting a shot at a AAA game despite not having actually put out anything on a console first since 2004 is pretty damn crazy.

But I can see why people are touchy about this. You really have stans out here concern trolling over Sony's studios when their preferred platform has:

Created studios just to make Halo and Gears of War

Partied for the last few months over an acquisition headlined by a studio that is about to put out their first non Elder Scrolls or Fallout game since 2002.

Purchased a studio that is best known for making the Fallout game everyone liked, immediately announced their It's Elder Scrolls but not Actually Elder Scrolls game, and had fans asking them to make another Fallout game. But they did make that backyard survival game, so there's that.

Basically, all these companies do the same shyt. They rely on familiar hits to cover them for potential bricks they can catch on them trying something new.

QFT. But unlike others who have consistently failed to try something new, you can't say the same for the Playstation brand. HUGE difference.