[Jason Schreier] Sony’s Obsession with Blockbusters is Stirring Unrest in the PlayStation Empire

Bubba T

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What this thread tells me is that the gaming community needs both Sony and Microsoft to continue to compete. This cycle keeps happening, where a company builds all its goodwill off a previous generation, makes a dumb ass move to irritate the community, the other company capitalizes by making good business decisions and people start flocking there. Then next gen that company does some dumb shyt, rinse and repeat:russ:.

This is precisely why being a PS/Xbox Stan is dumb in my eyes.

Daps
:russell: All of this “bad press” Sony is getting feels like last year before any ps5 news dropped. Then once it dropped buildings were crushed.

MarcP

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sony running the risk of becoming 2008-2013 Microsoft where they tripled down on the big dogs and said fukk everything else so when the big dogs got stale they were assed out. You gotta let teams like Sony Bend/VASG find their way. Best example is Guerrilla Games. Under this current business model them nikkas would have been in the bushes after Killzone 1 and Horizon Zero Dawn would have never seen the light of day.

Daps
Sony running the risk of becoming 2008-2013 Microsoft where they tripled down on the big dogs and said fukk everything else so when the big dogs got stale they were assed out. You gotta let teams like Sony Bend/VASG find their way. Best example is Guerrilla Games. Under this current business model them nikkas would have been in the bushes after Killzone 1 and Horizon Zero Dawn would have never seen the light of day.

:mjlol: We’re not even 7 months into this new generation and y’all holding Sony under the fire. You comparing them to a whole 5 years of Microsoft.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Most important thing I took from this is that it confirms another Uncharted game :shaq:

shame there won’t be a Days Gone sequel tho, that game was rough around the edges but layed a lot of groundwork for a great sequel

I’d rather bend try something else tbh

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Also, Neil specifically said ND are working on a bunch of different games with one of them being a new IP.

The uncharted/LOU stuff is not the big ND game of the generation. You don’t need an entire team to work on remakes. Which is probably why part of Bend studio was assisting. It’s probably Naughty Dogs B team

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
At the end of fiscal 2018 or 2019 Sony’s report laid out this strategy. In the report they flat out said that they are focusing on big titles since that is what moves the needle (according to their analysis).

This means AAA 1st party games, and AAA 3rd party exclusives or marketing deals. They have been running this play for a few years now.

Can you blame them? Conference after conference the viewing public complains or dismisses really cool/inventive indies or smaller budget titles and only reacts to the big games with the fanciest graphics. The smaller titles are just looked st as ‘also ran’ or ‘the weak middle part of the presentation’ .

The way I see it, Sony is putting all their focus in AAA and then expect the smaller devs to make games for PS since they are the market leader in sales. That said, Microsoft and the Game Pass strategy are throwing a wrench in their plans. Their amalgamation of Xbox and PC through game pass and Direct X 12 has Sony fighting a tougher battle than it seems.

Anyways, just to be clear. I prefer Sony to fund big and smaller titles so this news is troubling. But I expect Sony to come back hard at E3/summer games fest. The company has proven time and time again that they know good games and support developers. From launch to date, I think Sony has done right for its PS5 users (better than Xbox although April game pass closes in on the gap) with its exclusive titles and PS+ monthly selection.

Edit: I forgot to mention. Before this article I was wondering what happened to Jason Schreier. Outside of his weak and obvious Cyberpunk expose he has been quiet. He was due for a big article and Sony/PS5 generate the most buzz.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Sony stans :mjlol:

tenor.gif

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Can you blame them? Conference after conference the viewing public complains or dismisses really cool/inventive indies or smaller budget titles and only reacts to the big games with the fanciest graphics. The smaller titles are just looked st as ‘also ran’ or ‘the weak middle part of the presentation’ .

Breh....i say this shyt everytime sony does a state of play and doesn’t show off one of it’s big studio AAAA graphical powerhouse games. People say a direct is wack if we get showings of things like deathloop, solar ash, Oddworld, kena, little devil inside, JETT....etc Even now with a game like Returnal people are writing it off because its coming from an indie developer and uses some of the same gameplay design

It’s clear people are voting with their wallets and clicks:yeshrug:

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Honestly the momentum of the PS5 is coming from the PS4 the next 2 - 3 years will be the telling part. I don't like the sound of Sony focusing more on blockbusters that's more in line with the 2010 microsoft that took less risks on games. Microsoft seems to be turning that around with game pass and fully embracing indie developers where it seems like Sony is doing the opposite. A last of Us Remake is not the way to go since you don't need to remake an already great game that came out less than 10 years ago. I'd rather them put there resources into a new game and provide new experiences since that's what Sony has been known for in the past. I feel like this gen is Sony is going to be humbled because Microsoft is playing thanos with the industry right now with their infinite supply of money.