Jake Gyllenhaal -"Nightcrawler" ..:whew:

CM_Burns

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I hated the complete lack of investigation by the police. One shytty interview with a shytty excuse and he's off? :childplease: No confiscation of his hard drive? Analysis of his search history? :rudy: Nonsense.
I hated how Nina was suddenly defending him and actually into him :scusthov: Total departure from everything we'd seen from her and their relationship

The lack of investigation seemed abrupt, I was willing to forgive it as him just getting away with it though, which didn't seem THAT far fetched, though I didn't think about it much. I assumed there was more to it after, but they didn't succeed in pinning anything on him.

Nina was :demonic: from the beginning and very concerned with her success and Jake was on the bummy side in the early times. When he excelled at his job, she was more attracted to him. :yeshrug:Made enough sense to me.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
it was an interesting premise which hasn't been explored in a film yet, only problem was, there wasn't a plot at all, which only works with biopics and documentaries
:what: oh let me guess you are one of those ones, "there was no plot it was just a character study"

Wrong

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
what's the plot of the film
When Lou Bloom, a driven man desperate for work, muscles into the world of L.A. crime journalism, he blurs the line between observer and participant to become the star of his own story. Aiding him in his effort is Nina, a TV-news veteran

Taken from imdb

Daps
Reppin
NULL
When Lou Bloom, a driven man desperate for work, muscles into the world of L.A. crime journalism, he blurs the line between observer and participant to become the star of his own story. Aiding him in his effort is Nina, a TV-news veteran

Taken from imdb

that's not a plot that's a log line

you should be able to tell me the plot without imdb because you've seen the movie yourself

Daps
Reppin
NULL
no it's the premise some would also use sypnosis, all of which pertaining to describing the story, hence the plot

yet you can't tell me what the plot is

the movie doesn't even match the logline, he doesn't blur the lines between observing and partaking, he partakes from the very beginning, dragging bodies etc

movie wasn't realistic which is fine, my only problem was there wasn't a plot there wasn't a story being told

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Just seen it and I pretty much agree on everything already said. MAJOR SPOILERS FOLLOW!

Jake absolutely killed it and reminded me a lot of a performance I bring up a lot, namely Eric Roberts in Star 80. They play very similar characters, broke sociopaths in who seem determined to make it big in flashy LA by any means necessary and both actors show tremendous commitment to their part. What helps Jake a lot here though is the dialogue, that isn't afraid to embrace how insane its main character is, and how casually it is displayed. Every scene where Lou negotiates is brilliant in the way it shows us how his logic works, with the centerpiece being the dinner date where he essentially forces Nina to have sex with him. It's so seedy and pulpy that it works in darkly comical way, despite being utterly creepy at its core. Then there's the small touches that add so much to the character with so little. Think of the scene where he sprays cleaner on his shirt and then irons it while watching an old comedy movie or tv show where a knight is beheaded. He looks around to see if anyone else caught that (of course not, he's alone in his apartment) and then lets out a loud laugh as if it was the funniest thing he ever saw. It tells us everything we need to know about this guy and luckily the movie refrains from telling us much more.

The ending didn't quite work for me either, it was not only abrupt but I thought it missed a climax for his character, or to quote himself, a 'critical moment' for the character. I think Gilroy intended that moment to be when Lou let his assistant get shot and film his death, but while extreme I don't think it was anything beyond what we already expected him to be capable of at that point. It would've helped if the detectives investigating him actually got something on him that would also give the moment of him getting away with it all more impact. Now it really felt like he just breezed through everything, it was all a bit too easy. Also, all the satirical subtext got a bit too heavy handed and obvious as well.

Nevertheless, this will end up really high on my year end list, and I'd like to give a couple more quick shoutouts.

I too died whenever Bill Paxton would say "breh" and died at how over the top he emphasized that one "Brah!". That man is just too perfect for parts like these.

Even though it was probably luck, the best shot in the movie I saw was when Lou punched the mirror and it shattered, but one big shard still hung sideways in the frame so it showed Lou's reflection perfectly.

If it wasn't for the trailer spoiling it, the final line of the movie would've been one of the greatest final lines I've ever heard. I'm sure in time it will get properly acknowledged for being a perfect final line though.

LastManStanding

Veteran
Daps
Great movie.

props to Jake G. dude looked like a goddamn creep who hadn't slept in months, but he was convincing (and hilarious without trying to be). dude crushed that role and deserves an Oscar nomination. easily the best performance of his career.

tumblr_nejgy4CQWy1r03nz0o1_500.gif

movie overall
4.5 out of 5 stars

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Just seen it and I pretty much agree on everything already said. MAJOR SPOILERS FOLLOW!

Jake absolutely killed it and reminded me a lot of a performance I bring up a lot, namely Eric Roberts in Star 80. They play very similar characters, broke sociopaths in who seem determined to make it big in flashy LA by any means necessary and both actors show tremendous commitment to their part. What helps Jake a lot here though is the dialogue, that isn't afraid to embrace how insane its main character is, and how casually it is displayed. Every scene where Lou negotiates is brilliant in the way it shows us how his logic works, with the centerpiece being the dinner date where he essentially forces Nina to have sex with him. It's so seedy and pulpy that it works in darkly comical way, despite being utterly creepy at its core. Then there's the small touches that add so much to the character with so little. Think of the scene where he sprays cleaner on his shirt and then irons it while watching an old comedy movie or tv show where a knight is beheaded. He looks around to see if anyone else caught that (of course not, he's alone in his apartment) and then lets out a loud laugh as if it was the funniest thing he ever saw. It tells us everything we need to know about this guy and luckily the movie refrains from telling us much more.

The ending didn't quite work for me either, it was not only abrupt but I thought it missed a climax for his character, or to quote himself, a 'critical moment' for the character. I think Gilroy intended that moment to be when Lou let his assistant get shot and film his death, but while extreme I don't think it was anything beyond what we already expected him to be capable of at that point. It would've helped if the detectives investigating him actually got something on him that would also give the moment of him getting away with it all more impact. Now it really felt like he just breezed through everything, it was all a bit too easy. Also, all the satirical subtext got a bit too heavy handed and obvious as well.

Nevertheless, this will end up really high on my year end list, and I'd like to give a couple more quick shoutouts.

I too died whenever Bill Paxton would say "breh" and died at how over the top he emphasized that one "Brah!". That man is just too perfect for parts like these.

Even though it was probably luck, the best shot in the movie I saw was when Lou punched the mirror and it shattered, but one big shard still hung sideways in the frame so it showed Lou's reflection perfectly.

If it wasn't for the trailer spoiling it, the final line of the movie would've been one of the greatest final lines I've ever heard. I'm sure in time it will get properly acknowledged for being a perfect final line though.
great analysis

what's your top 3 of 2014 right now?

LastManStanding

Veteran
Daps
Just came out the theater. Only 8 othet people in there. Movie was fukkin dope. More thoughts later

Nightcrawler was put together on a 8 million budget so you can't expect it to pack the house.

smaller, non-studio films like Nightcrawler are never going to pack the theaters, but based on it's successful opening weekend it will gross at least 60-70 million worldwide. that's huge for a small budget film.

CJ

Your objective semi-troll
Daps
Reppin
6ix
Saw this yesterday, did an afternoon 12:30 show with the wife so theatre was empty as expected, outside of a few bloggers. Jake's performance :wow: Prisoner's was my favorite movie of last year, largely in part to his acting in that flick. He nailed it again (was good in Enemy also I just disliked that entire movie by the time it was done.)

The dinner scene in this was something incredible, talk about power play. As far as the ending:

I honestly thought it was going to be a role reversal. I pictured Rick would have been the one to call over Lou, only for Lou to get shot and killed by the driver. Rick would have then moved on and started his own company, the "right" way. I envisioned him doing that speech at the end :pachaha: