Ja says he would cook MJ

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
No word salad. :yeshrug: I'm trying to be thorough.

I find the latter statement worse, since it is disingenuous. How many years did either player do 20ppg+? How many games did they play in said seasons? These are outliers for those players. Outliers are not reliable for a reason.

To throw in my two cents, I don't think Morant would struggle to get to 20ppg, but defenses closing the lane on him would mean he'd be forced to shoot more. Even MJ's driving ass was forced to lean back. We have not seen what Morant is and isn't completely capable of, but the outlook is promising.

Which is the very core of my first post in this thread. Man's career just started, and people are putting him over Dumars' established career. If Morant retired tomorrow, he's ahead of Dumars? I say absolutely not. It's a silly take.
That’s an assumption that his driving would be affected. I don’t think it would at least not to any significant degree.

And even if he couldn’t get all the way enough he’s elite from floater range and an above average shooter from 10-16 feet.

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
That’s an assumption that his driving would be affected. I don’t think it would at least not to any significant degree.

And even if he couldn’t get all the way enough he’s elite from floater range and an above average shooter from 10-16 feet.

That's usually where the haziness of probability come to mind. It's already proven he can drive as he currently plays. Things are hinging on whether or not he gets collapsed on regularly in whatever era, especially given his size. You take someone like MJ who was more effective, taller, and was forced to change. Why wouldn't it happen to current Morant? The skepticism isn't unwarranted.

This is partly where it's too soon to tell comes from. If driving is the only thing he has in the future, then it's easy to say if he gets collapsed on then it's not looking bright. But I'd like to think Morant is going to improve as a player and wouldn't have a problem.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
That's usually where the haziness of probability come to mind. It's already proven he can drive as he currently plays. Things are hinging on whether or not he gets collapsed on regularly in whatever era, especially given his size. You take someone like MJ who was more effective, taller, and was forced to change. Why wouldn't it happen to current Morant? The skepticism isn't unwarranted.

This is partly where it's too soon to tell comes from. If driving is the only thing he has in the future, then it's easy to say if he gets collapsed on then it's not looking bright. But I'd like to think Morant is going to improve as a player and wouldn't have a problem.
So Ja Morant would be akin to an outlier 20 ppg scorer if he played in the 80s/90s. :russ:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Not true.

Morant played 67 of 73 games in ‘20
Morant played 63 of 72 games in ‘21
Morant played 57 of 82 games in ‘22

Last season was really his only season where he missed a lot of games and the Grizz played so well when he was out they probably held him out longer on some of those injuries.

Injuries in that era implies that you think Ja would be more injury prone then and I hope this isn’t a “physicality” argument. :mjlol:

Yeah, 15 games missed a season proves my point. And yes, Ja Morant's approach would work. Again, cry about it :umad:

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
So Ja Morant would be akin to an outlier 20 ppg scorer if he played in the 80s/90s. :russ:

No. I'd say Morant has a better offensive skillset than the other player. If you equate that oddball 20ppg season from Adams as their definite relied-upon output like Morant's stats, that's another story. :manny: It belittles Morant to phrase it that way, especially given since Adams isn't putting out 20ppg regularly. It's not a sane take, and obvious hyperbole.

I wouldn't belittle someone like say, Clyde Drexler, by putting him and Michael Adams at the same bar because Adams had that fringe 20+ppg season. If you want to downplay that era because of that reason, then you go ahead and do you. It doesn't support your stance, it just makes Morant look weaker pegging him to an otherwise unremarkable player.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
In the real world, struggle will entail the type of seasons Tony Campbell and Michael Adams had to score over 20 points per game. Now all of a sudden JA Morant wouldn’t be tied to the struggle of playing in the mythical late 80s and early 90s you said he would find difficulty being a regular 20ppg scorer….. No different than Tony Campbell or Michael Adams.

But now you want it both ways Where he’s not that type of struggle player while struggling, in your words, to be a consistent 20ppg scorer in that era .:camby:

You know what you’re saying is dumb
No. I'd say Morant has a better offensive skillset than the other player. If you equate that oddball 20ppg season from Adams as their definite relied-upon output like Morant's stats, that's another story. :manny: It belittles Morant to phrase it that way, especially given since Adams isn't putting out 20ppg regularly. It's not a sane take, and obvious hyperbole

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Doubling down :picard:
💯!!!

Real talk though. The dude's progressively missed more games per season, up to 25 this season and couldn't finish out the playoffs because he got hurt again. He would be operating in an era without spread offenses or as much multi-screen action for the first ball handler. That's not to say he wouldn't still be effective. But he'd be operating in more traffic and take the lumps that come with that. I don't trust his play style in that era when it hasn't held up in this one.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
💯!!!

Real talk though. The dude's progressively missed more games per season, up to 25 this season and couldn't finish out the playoffs because he got hurt again. He would be operating in an era without spread offenses or as much multi-screen action for the first ball handler. That's not to say he wouldn't still be effective. But he'd be operating in more traffic and take the lumps that come with that. I don't trust his play style in that era when it hasn't held up in this one.
It’s proven players are getting injured more often in this era because of the mileage on the body because players are putting more stress on their joints in the AAU system and playing in a fast paced era that requires more movement and more ground to cover than ever.

In his first two years he missed a combined 15 games which isn’t bad at all. Only last year were injuries a problem and really it was a nagging bone bruise. The majority of his injuries have been minor, typical basketball player ding ups like ankle sprains and back spasms.

His health won’t be perfect throughout his career but that’s most players.

Ja in the 80’s=PG version of Jordan

Last edited:

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
In the real world, struggle will entail the type of seasons Tony Campbell and Michael Adams had to score over 20 points per game. Now all of a sudden JA Morant wouldn’t be tied to the struggle of playing in the mythical late 80s and early 90s you said he would find difficulty being a regular 20ppg scorer….. No different than Tony Campbell or Michael Adams.

But now you want it both ways Where he’s not that type of struggle player while struggling, in your words, to be a consistent 20ppg scorer in that era .:camby:

You know what you’re saying is dumb

If that's how you interpret Morant's potential struggle, then it's just differing viewpoints on that subject. Not sure what to say other than I do not equate whatever ails Morant would have with those of Tony Campbell and Michael Adams.

Personally, I see his potential struggle as difficulty to replace the points derived from driving to the rim into other areas if defenses were to routinely clog the lane on drives. If 80s/90s defenses could start knocking MJ to the point where he needs to rely on the J, I don't see this to be unfathomable for Morant who is smaller and much less efficient shooting outside the paint building even more reliance on driving to the hoop. Really depends on how his midrange turns out because as it stands, using the T-Wolves series as an example of cutting down points by drive, he gets down to about 20ppg if nothing improves.

I'm relatively certain he could make due, though. I noted he is probably going to improve outside the paint at some point, probably sooner than we think. However, this is a sticking point of his and a valid criticism.

Circling back, Campbell and Adams just do not have that productive output at a consistent basis to justify them being used as examples to Morant. It again, belittles Morant and pedestals Campbell and Adams' seasons that were definitely outside their normal. You want to act like they're model 20ppg (or more) players, you do you.