J Fold- 7 minute Apology (redacted Kendrick Lamar dis)

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The "Real Pro-Black" stuff falls flat on it's face though because for example, in the booth
we champion Nas for being "Real Pro black" all of the time but bro has whole records about
killing people, dealing drugs, robberies etc.
There is always an art/entertainment side to rap music.

An artist like nas making “shoot em up” doesn’t disqualify his overall message that resonates with those of us who are part of and understand the culture. Nas even touched on this dynamic in songs like “testify”

They will rock with you as long as they are being entertained. But when it’s time to really take a stand, they’d rather try to make you quietly go away.

Like, he regularly gets championed as "Realer" and "More Pro-black" than Jay-Z
when at the very core of either artists work is the Gangster as Anti-Hero.
Nas has always been a more introspective kinda activist artist. Jay was never that. I don’t think Jay would even argue against that.
It's a core aspect of their music and we just casually accept it here in the booth not only
that but we praise them as THE greatest rappers to have ever written a rap record.

If we're being completely honest the vast majority of Hip-Hop's popular history is filled with very
milquetoast safe rappers whose critique of society usually stops at critiquing the label owners and/or
their peers and rarely calls for deep systemic change, social upheaval or any real revolutionary thought.

Even Common, one of my favorite "conscious" rappers, is soft as playdoh now and his message is very
receptive to a white liberal audience.

This criticism can extend beyond Kendrick Lamar and just easily applies to J. Cole and Drake and further still
it applies to just about any figure we hold highly in Hip-Hop.

FEW and I mean VERY FEW past that bar.

Krs-One? Chuck D? Afrika Bambatta? Ice Cube? These artists who had balls and really said poignant outrageous shyt in the
manner they did quickly disappeared somewhere in the early to mid 90s.
The real revolutionary stuff gets push back. Gotta be safe stuff they can bob their heads too.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
There is always an art/entertainment side to rap music.

An artist like nas making “shoot em up” doesn’t disqualify his overall message that resonates with those of us who are part of and understand the culture. Nas even touched on this dynamic in songs like “testify”

They will rock with you as long as they are being entertained. But when it’s time to really take a stand, they’d rather try to make you quietly go away.

Nas has always been a more introspective kinda activist artist. Jay was never that. I don’t think Jay would even argue against that.

The real revolutionary stuff gets push back. Gotta be safe stuff they can bob their heads too.
Nas is not deep

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:why: He called GKMC tragic.
This points out and proves the fact that the catalog bar was bad because it lacks clarity

A lot of people consider Section 80 an album too so that throws this entire list off.

Nikkas getting caught up on this line debating whichever albums are even being addressed is a failure on Cole's end

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think sometimes Coli brehs are still in about 2014/2015.

Kendrick lamar is over 10 years deep into his career.

The guy has created incredible albums and regularly uses incredible VISUAL storytelling in his music videos.

This is someone who has repeatedly changed personas and style (He borrows heavily from Prince, David Bowie, Michael Jackson etc.)

This guy goes through different eras, changes sonically and politically while remaining highly selfcritical and
touching topics that most rappers won't.

People on here have GOATs that we all respect but who has the fukkING NUTS to write a record about
familial sexual assault? Transexualism? Personal traumas around relationships & sex? And then do a sold out tour
performing the shyt?

He gets derided with weird reductive takes on his lyricism all of the time "My auntie is a man now lololol".

To the point you KNOW it's not a sincere interaction with the subject matter at hand and only exists to belittle
and dismiss.

In 2024, Kendrick Lamar is a legit titan in the game and his earlier works are blips on the radar while albums like TPAB, DAMN and Mr. Morale
are HUGE.

I love "beats and rhymes" as much as the next guy but Kendrick Lamar has always been on some other, next level shyt.

JoelB

All Praise To TMH
Daps
Reppin
PHI 2 ATL
White liberals love Public Enemy and Gil Scott Heron too...do we have to dismiss them as well?

Im still mad Cacs co-opted Wu-Tang from us and we let them have it....:mjcry:

Dead Prez too

And Tribe, De La, Mos Def, Common, MF DOOM, Rakim, OutKast, The Roots, Wu, Dilla, Nas, Slick Rick, etc...

:lolbron:

*edit

exactly. Im tired of nikkas rejecting black artists with bars only for cacs to embrace them. This needs its own thread

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The "Real Pro-Black" stuff falls flat on it's face though because for example, in the booth
we champion Nas for being "Real Pro black" all of the time but bro has whole records about
killing people, dealing drugs, robberies etc.

Like, he regularly gets championed as "Realer" and "More Pro-black" than Jay-Z
when at the very core of either artists work is the Gangster as Anti-Hero.

It's a core aspect of their music and we just casually accept it here in the booth not only
that but we praise them as THE greatest rappers to have ever written a rap record.

If we're being completely honest the vast majority of Hip-Hop's popular history is filled with very
milquetoast safe rappers whose critique of society usually stops at critiquing the label owners and/or
their peers and rarely calls for deep systemic change, social upheaval or any real revolutionary thought.

Even Common, one of my favorite "conscious" rappers, is soft as playdoh now and his message is very
receptive to a white liberal audience.

This criticism can extend beyond Kendrick Lamar and just easily applies to J. Cole and Drake and further still
it applies to just about any figure we hold highly in Hip-Hop.

FEW and I mean VERY FEW past that bar.

Krs-One? Chuck D? Afrika Bambatta? Ice Cube? These artists who had balls and really said poignant outrageous shyt in the
manner they did quickly disappeared somewhere in the early to mid 90s.
I vehemently agreed with your post until the very last paragraph

Nikkas go to example is always Public Enemy and you say they disappeared in the 90s but white liberals have kept Public Enemy afloat for 30+ years. PE is probably on tour as I type this and i promise you their crowds ain't full of black folks

Ice Cube is another rapper who eats off liberal white concert dollars even tho he doesn't have to

No one listens to KRS-1, even the nikkas that pretend they do:mjlol:

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I vehemently agreed with your post until the very last paragraph

Nikkas go to example is always Public Enemy and you say they disappeared in the 90s but white liberals have kept Public Enemy afloat for 30+ years. PE is probably on tour as I type this and i promise you their crowds ain't full of black folks
Oh I know, I meant (new) rappers in that lane/cut from that cloth disappeared.

Not necessarily that the originals no longer exist.

Jesus H. Christ

I died for your sins
Daps
The only thing all this is proving is that Drake aint nowhere near these two as far as artistry or lyricism.

He staying quiet as fukk right now hoping Cole handle this shyt
Drake was immediately out the discussion from kdot & jcole during the meek mill saga (not that I really consider him #1 ever). He should stick to what he does which is making tiktok records all while making serious bread. Respectfully:hubie:

Jesus H. Christ

I died for your sins
Daps
This thread is all over the place :damn:
The lines that had these kensexuals in shambles and literally broke down the coli servers

Your first sh*t was classic, your last sh*t was tragic

Your second sh*t put n****s to sleep, but they gassed it

Your third sh*t was massive and that was your prime

I was trailing right behind and I just now hit mine

Now I'm front of the line with a comfortable lead

How ironic, soon as I got it, now he want something with me

angry-white-woman-screaming.gif