J Cole - Port Antonio (The Fall Off coming soon?)

Fire or nah?

• Fire

Votes: 118 61.8%
  • Nah

Votes: 73 38.2%

• Total voters

Kiyoshi-Dono

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Petty Vandross.. fukk Yall
Should’ve just shut the fukk up when the narrative had him looking like “the bigger man” and “protecting his peace”
Now everybody and they mommy peeling layers back on his behaviors off this one song :russ:
Yeah the Fall Off is very appropriate because this shyt makes no sense at all
I’m in a bind Nate:dead:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Should’ve just shut the fukk up when the narrative had him looking like “the bigger man” and “protecting his peace”
Now everybody and they mommy peeling layers back on his behaviors off this one song :russ:
Yeah the Fall Off is very appropriate because this shyt makes no sense at all
I’m in a bind Nate:dead:
What’s crazy is that he actually got away with running from the battle and had people sympathetic to him until he made this song and re-engaged in the flip-floppery. If he just stayed quiet he would’ve continued to have gotten away with an enormous flip flop. He keeps doing it to himself

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What’s crazy is that he actually got away with running from the battle and had people sympathetic to him until he made this song and re-engaged in the flip-floppery. If he just stayed quiet he would’ve continued to have gotten away with an enormous flip flop. He keeps doing it to himself
Got people now pointing out his talk about the beef being for sales is BS because he waited for first week numbers to drop before pulling his diss.

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
So, the lesson here is that Cole should just shut the fukk up about everything unless it has to do with the release date for The Fall Off? :skip:

His problem is that he's too nice (double entendre, don't ask me how). He's De La Soul trying to act like he's 2Pac. It doesn't work because the actions and words are the opposite of each other. Cole wants to see himself as the man, having a comfortable lead, and he has the talent to do that. But deep down inside, he's not interested in proving it because he doesn't believe it. He just wants to rap. He doesn't really care about being the best, but he's not supposed to admit that. It's not what someone in his position should do.

I think @Piff Perkins alluded to this a couple times, but Cole had an arc for his career that didn't happen. He was supposed to come in as the savior, the one that died on the cross for that fake shyt we bought for the last decade. Didn't happen. Friday Night Lights was a mixtape and Sideline Story was the debut. Meanwhile, Drake shows immediate improvement with Take Care and Kendrick comes in as the savior instead with GKMC. It takes Cole three albums to get to that level (FHD), and then another four years after to start being looked at as the killer. He goes on a feature run. He becomes more technically proficient. Kendrick steps away to deal with life, Drake declines artistically. Now, who gets looked at as the man? Cole. After a decade or so, the crown is finally his. LA Leakers freestyle combined with what could be his best album yet (Off-Season)? Perfect execution.

A couple years later, it's wartime. Kendrick is back, Drake is ready this time. It's Cole's final move, his opportunity to claim the top spot officially. The rap commission will have no problem giving him the belt if he performs well. Maybe people didn't like "7 Minute Drill," but it was something. It was an attempt. A second track with more polish could do the trick. That was a warm up, just a little sample, not the kill shot.

But then Cole couldn't digest food for two days and forfeited the match. He gave up his greatest opportunity at being number one because he never thought he would get this far. Then he disappeared for months, came back and said that this war thing is stupid, man. We're brothers, man. We gotta stick together, man. Or we're finished, man. So, if you want to be the rapper that uses algorithms to disgrace the game that I'm a part of, then go right on ahead. I'm above such nonsense.

But if I did decide to step in there, I would have done the things that needed to be done. Believe that.:youngsabo:

2ATMsYouSteppinOrWhat

No Round 2’s :camumad:
Daps
So, the lesson here is that Cole should just shut the fukk up about everything unless it has to do with the release date for The Fall Off? :skip:

His problem is that he's too nice (double entendre, don't ask me how). He's De La Soul trying to act like he's 2Pac. It doesn't work because the actions and words are the opposite of each other. Cole wants to see himself as the man, having a comfortable lead, and he has the talent to do that. But deep down inside, he's not interested in proving it because he doesn't believe it. He just wants to rap. He doesn't really care about being the best, but he's not supposed to admit that. It's not what someone in his position should do.

I think @Piff Perkins alluded to this a couple times, but Cole had an arc for his career that didn't happen. He was supposed to come in as the savior, the one that died on the cross for that fake shyt we bought for the last decade. Didn't happen. Friday Night Lights was a mixtape and Sideline Story was the debut. Meanwhile, Drake shows immediate improvement with Take Care and Kendrick comes in as the savior instead with GKMC. It takes Cole three albums to get to that level (FHD), and then another four years after to start being looked at as the killer. He goes on a feature run. He becomes more technically proficient. Kendrick steps away to deal with life, Drake declines artistically. Now, who gets looked at as the man? Cole. After a decade or so, the crown is finally his. LA Leakers freestyle combined with what could be his best album yet (Off-Season)? Perfect execution.

A couple years later, it's wartime. Kendrick is back, Drake is ready this time. It's Cole's final move, his opportunity to claim the top spot officially. The rap commission will have no problem giving him the belt if he performs well. Maybe people didn't like "7 Minute Drill," but it was something. It was an attempt. A second track with more polish could do the trick. That was a warm up, just a little sample, not the kill shot.

But then Cole couldn't digest food for two days and forfeited the match. He gave up his greatest opportunity at being number one because he never thought he would get this far. Then he disappeared for months, came back and said that this war thing is stupid, man. We're brothers, man. We gotta stick together, man. Or we're finished, man. So, if you want to be the rapper that uses algorithms to disgrace the game that I'm a part of, then go right on ahead. I'm above such nonsense.

But if I did decide to step in there, I would have done the things that needed to be done. Believe that.:youngsabo:

:wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow::wow:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

This about sums it up.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
For people who lived that in real time, very much on point. I think Drake was always pretty far ahead of Cole, as far as commercial appear, but Sideline Story didn't do much compared to Take Care.

Drake was a little ahead with a career defining tape and single in 2009, but they were for sure on a similar trajectory career wise, hot tapes, a lot of blog buzz, when that was the thing to have (not so much the streets) and major label debuts on the horizon.

Drake dropped Thank Me Later, which was uneven but well received. and Cole dropped Friday Night Lights, which I remember playing a lot around November 2010, the height of the blog era. but then his debut was stalled and kind of dead on arrival. Took him until 2013 to get back in the running.

and Cole was kind of an afterthought for years. I still remember their collab track with Drake talking about riding stallions. lol. Drake is probably better to me, I have enjoyed more of is music for longer, Cole got really redundant. He reminds me of like a decent indie movie with not much to say. Drake may not be deep, musically, but his takes on relationships, coming of age, have really been the soundtrack for a generation.

and I just turned 39, so this is really the era of my whole 30's. very good comments and discussion.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps

Cole World No Snuggie :wow:

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Cole the Gohan of Hip Hop, got all the potential but not a killer like Goku or Vegeta

:wow: :wow: :wow:

KingsnBucs1987

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Indianapolis

Honestly I think the biggest thing that gets everybody was that he dropped 7 Minute Freestyle, let it sit for the week, so those 1st streams hit for Might Delete Later and then he took it down and did the apology. I think if he would of just stuck with it, then apologized, and dropped this track now, the shyt wouldn't of been that deep.

Things die down a bit and now you jump out and bring the shyt back up and say you ain't want no smoke like that, but you'll still take a dude's head off, so now people are like why you jumping out now. I know the Fall Off is right around the corner, could be a way to get even more eyes on it, but he didn't need that shyt.

Some might not agree, but it feels like it's throwing stones and then hiding your hands. Hell even when Cole said Kendrick could say whatever and he'll take it and he wouldn't respond during the apology (if I'm wrong, somebody'll correct me), Kendrick went lite on him with just the YMW Melly bar. So now that Cole is bringing it back up, does Kendrick get the chance to lite him up or would he be looked at as bullying him since Cole said he ain't trying to battle and shyt?