J. Cole - Might Delete Later (Discussion Thread)

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
You don't hear IYRTITL Drake in some of these songs?

A lot of the subject matter in these songs overlaps with Drakes usual content about opp talk, can't trust anyone, I'm bigger than everyone, no one fukking with me bars, etc. Cole clearly left the conscious and self righteous preachy shyt behind here.

I'm not mad at it though. I see Cole getting better with time and he absolutely needed to make more fun music like this than his usual stuff.
Yeah this is facts, Cole was talking his shyt on multiple records. It was a very nice change of pace for him and I enjoyed him getting on his nobody can fukk with me shyt.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Sometimes I really hate how Benny let Cole go off for like 50 bars like that lol

Cole verse was fire (Benny too) but now it looks like he can eat Bennys food (and Bennys peers), when in reality everyone sounds nice if they can get off like that no diddy.

We saw it when they let Hov go off for 3 minutes on God Did.

Thats the POINT though. Cole has become so good other top tier rappers just gotta let that nikka eat. You know how rare that is? Would ANY of us have thought in 2011 when he dropped his first album that J fukkING COLE would be eating up nikkas entire songs and be so damn good that they would just allow it? Thats Nas level shyt. Thats Jay-Z level shyt. Thats Black Thought level shyt.

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Thats the POINT though. Cole has become so good other top tier rappers just gotta let that nikka eat. You know how rare that is? Would ANY of us have thought in 2011 when he dropped his first album that J fukkING COLE would be eating up nikkas entire songs and be so damn good that they would just allow it? Thats Nas level shyt. Thats Jay-Z level shyt. Thats Black Thought level shyt.

This!

You can’t please these dudes man

Cole is legit rapping his ass off and the music is good

What else can you ask for

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
See thats the thing though

Cole doesn’t have many weaknesses either, matter of fact Cole has more angles to go at Kendrick than Kendrick has to go at Cole.

Kendrick’s first mainstream single was produced by Cole. Cole can come at the angle that Kendrick “ran” to him “hands out begging”’for a “hit” when he supposedly had Dr Dre in his corner

Its been confirmed that Cole fought Diddy on behalf of Kendrick at an industry party when Diddy was drunk and mad about the “King Of New York” line from the Control verse. Cole can flip that into “this lil bytch nikka needed me to defend him when Diddy about to diddler him”

There was ONE potential scandal regarding Kendrick getting drunk and beating up some woman in a hotel room back in 2014. Its been pretty much wiped from the internet BUT if there’s any truth to it whatsoever Cole can unearth those claims to attack Kendrick’s “Pro Woman” stances and make him look like a hypocrite

Kendrick made some pretty poor comments regarding racism and police brutality right before TPAB dropped. His comments, though well intentioned and even understandable given where he’s from and the amount of black on black crime he’s undoubtedly witnessed, came dangerously close to “respectability politics”

"I wish somebody would look in our neighborhood knowing that it's already a situation, mentally, where it's f---ked up. What happened to [Michael Brown] should've never happened. Never. But when we don't have respect for ourselves, how do we expect them to respect us? It starts from within. Don't start with just a rally, don't start from looting -- it starts from within."

People forget these comments weren’t taken too well by the populace at the time and directly led to Kendrick’s handlers limiting his public exposure and straight up forbidding interviewers to ask him any political and/or racial questions in the future. After that Kendrick went the religious rout, speaking more on God and spirituality than racism (speaking on God and embracing christianity historically shields you from criticism) Then he went the Israelite “Black People are a CURSED people” route and everybody let him slide on that bullshyt but again, if Cole is clever enough he can bring that up and point out that even as an interracial man with a white mother, Cole has presented himself as more unabashedly and CONSISTENTLY pro-black than Kendrick, highlighting Kendrick’s hypocrisies and making his carefully maintained persona look fraudulent and phony.

Finally there’s the whole Mr Morale & The Big Steppers angle. I personally really love that album and like i said before its success speaks for itself. But if Cole REALLY wanted to go there and dissect Kendrick as a man he could again use that album and its premise to point out and attack Kendrick’s hypocrisies. Kendrick claimed to have reached a form of enlightenment during that album that put him “above” the toxicity of black and hip hop culture. He DIRECTLY attacked and spoke against several elements of the culture that were destructive to our communities and yet he wants to come outside and engage and participate in those destructive elements? You wanna attack other successful black men? Claim your going to use gun violence against them? Say your number 1 AFTER your last album cast that type of competition and debate in a childish light? Is it Oochie Wally Wally or is it One Mic? Is it your the number 1 rapper or your running away from the culture to save your own life?

There ARE ways to dissect Kendrick personally, his career, and his inherent conflicts and hypocrisies. Before Mr Morale Kendrick FULLY embraced his status as Hip Hop Jesus with very very little in the way of anyone questioning him as a person, because if you REALLY dig deep you realize he’s more hypocritical and wishy washy than Jay could EVER have accused Nas of being. All Cole has to do is take some of that and use it to dismantle the mythology thats been built around Kendrick. And if he REALLY wanted to get bloody he could delve into some of TDE’s skeletons (Kendrick complained about not being properly compensated before Top Dawg shut him up by giving him a piece of the company) and “expose” the whole crew for not being what they claim.

Cole has proven he’s talented enough to give Kendrick problems. This entire album is a warning to Kendrick that he’s got the Leroy Glow and won’t go down without landing HEAVY blows. This board and Kendrick himself would do well to not underestimate a nikka that loves rap so much he’s probably the most improved hip hop artist of ALL TIME. If anyone should be learning from what Jay-Z did wrong in his battle with Nas, its Kendrick right now.

First off the hotel story is bullshyt, a woman wasn't beaten/attacked or involved. Something happened in the hotel but I doubt that comes up in a beef. Kendrick already spoke on some of it ("u").

In terms of the BLM era and Kendrick's (misguided) comments can I imagine Cole bringing that up in a battle? I guess. But based on how this is going, do you think either of these dudes is gonna give us a dissertation of systematic racism in a rap beef? I'm gonna say no. Not to mention how many comments Cole made veering on respectability politics before deciding to stop criticizing black rappers who glorify certain things he dislikes. His tone has changed since the KOD days.

There are so many rappers on that black Israelite shyt, including Hov and Jay Elect, that I doubt it comes up. To me this assumes that Cole is gonna approach this like Noname attacked him on race shyt. I just don't think Cole has the patience or interest in that because it's not moving the needle in a beef.

I agree that Morale is a weakness, and not just the album but mimicking a therapy session and deciding you no longer want the crown...only to pop out on some 2014 shyt again, aiming at the competition. The ironic thing is that Cole did the same thing. He rapped about the "best rapper" crown being a curse on Fire Squad, and said he wanted to destroy the concept. Fast forward a few years he was back on the best rapper tip. And I don't blame him, btw. He changed his mind. Kendrick did it slightly different on Mr Morale (Crown) but it was still about removing himself from expectations to free himself. And two years later he's back on the best rapper tip too.

To me that says both these dudes are too competitive to grow beyond the crown, and as a Nas and Jay fan? I'm not mad at that. Why wouldn't you want to be the GOAT, which is what led us to this inevitable battle.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
Cole would rap circles round him
It's a great verse but y'all are acting like it's some all time goat level. It's a great display of wordplay and flow but that's about it. what is he really saying. There's a lot of lines where he just forcing shyt to be real.

Hit lick after lick like a lollipop
You nikkas take a lie detect', the polygraph'll probably pop

You know my zone, I live here at the top
Right now,
I'm home alone, Macaulay caulk

I keep the shotty cocked in 'case somebody plot to rob me of this godly spot
Jermaine monstrous

Like that nikka off Jumanji, they know how he rock

:unimpressed:.....I mean if yall are blown away by these bars then ok great. Coles flow is the what really stands out here. The lines themselves are not remarkable at all. The technical display is impressive. But y'all trying to act like this shyt is "untouchable" is hilarious:mjlol:

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
It's a great verse but y'all are acting like it's some all time goat level. It's a great display of wordplay and flow but that's about it. what is he really saying. There's a lot of lines where he just forcing shyt to be real.

Right now,

Jermaine monstrous

:unimpressed:.....I mean if yall are blown away by these bars then ok great. Coles flow is the what really stands out here. The lines themselves are not remarkable at all. The technical display is impressive. But y'all trying to act like this shyt is "untouchable" is hilarious:mjlol:
Exactly

And dude sucks at SONGS

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
First off the hotel story is bullshyt, a woman wasn't beaten/attacked or involved. Something happened in the hotel but I doubt that comes up in a beef. Kendrick already spoke on some of it ("u").

In terms of the BLM era and Kendrick's (misguided) comments can I imagine Cole bringing that up in a battle? I guess. But based on how this is going, do you think either of these dudes is gonna give us a dissertation of systematic racism in a rap beef? I'm gonna say no. Not to mention how many comments Cole made veering on respectability politics before deciding to stop criticizing black rappers who glorify certain things he dislikes. His tone has changed since the KOD days.

There are so many rappers on that black Israelite shyt, including Hov and Jay Elect, that I doubt it comes up. To me this assumes that Cole is gonna approach this like Noname attacked him on race shyt. I just don't think Cole has the patience or interest in that because it's not moving the needle in a beef.

I agree that Morale is a weakness, and not just the album but mimicking a therapy session and deciding you no longer want the crown...only to pop out on some 2014 shyt again, aiming at the competition. The ironic thing is that Cole did the same thing. He rapped about the "best rapper" crown being a curse on Fire Squad, and said he wanted to destroy the concept. Fast forward a few years he was back on the best rapper tip. And I don't blame him, btw. He changed his mind. Kendrick did it slightly different on Mr Morale (Crown) but it was still about removing himself from expectations to free himself. And two years later he's back on the best rapper tip too.

To me that says both these dudes are too competitive to grow beyond the crown, and as a Nas and Jay fan? I'm not mad at that. Why wouldn't you want to be the GOAT, which is what led us to this inevitable battle.

But thats the thing, we’re talking about a BATTLE, where the only thing that matters is what narrative you weave in dismantling your opponent. The shyt don’t even have to be true, the most quotable portions of Takeover are all boldface lies. Hell its been confirmed that Jay completely fabricated the “I know who I paid God Serchlite Publishing.” There WAS no Serchlite Publishing at the time and Nas did indeed not only get paid for Dead Presidents, but he owns a portion of the song’s publishing. All that matters is what the MC can convincingly convey.

So If Cole were to say some shyt like “You up on stage talking that God bless women’s rights shyt thinking it would go over so well/ but ask the good kid about that night he was beating on defenseless women in hotels/ Pimpin ole girl’s precious face until it shone black and blue/ Damned be the devil but in her eyes is it i or is it u?” (Yea i know those bars suck but i’m just making a point) then all that matters is the story, be it factual or false IS out there and if Cole can sell it, it could be damaging to Kendrick’s carefully curated persona.

Also with the Israelite angle, again we not talking about no other rappers we focusing in KENDRICK and his hypocrisies. Nobody cares about Noname, she moves no needles at the end of the day. Cole moves needles so what he would have to say about Kendrick would mean more than Noname had to say about anybody. And again we’re talking battle tactics we’re not even talking about strictly facts but who can manipulate public perception. Sure Cole is guilty of the same shyt he could accuse Kendrick of but Jay was guilty of some of the same shyt he tried to accuse Nas of (a flawed discography, exaggerating his past, etc) and that didn’t stop him. If Cole can paint Kendrick as a false prophet, manufactured by the white media to lead black people down a path of being further indoctrinated into white supremacy through religion THAT could be a powerful blow to Kendrick’s persona.

This is WAR we talking about, the gloves will be off once Kendrick (or Drake at this point) says a name out loud. I think Cole is ready and I think Cole knows the only way to really win is to dismantle the mythology around Kendrick. He already admitted Kendrick has classics. He already admitted Kendrick has been ahead of him all of these years. There’s only one way to beat him and thats to expose him as a puppet for white media and to that he has to poke the feee holes in his persona that exist. Thats why Cole gave him a CLEAR warning on 7 Minute Drill. “Don’t make do this. Don’t make expose you to the people who don’t know you.”

Dwight Howard

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This isn't what I'm talking about. Show me Kendrick's last verse better than that Cole Pi verse. I'm talking about rapping ability right now.
Father time...but that's just my opinion, I'm just saying there isn't a huge gap between them lyrically, on any given day one can seem better than the other

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..

Right now,

Jermaine monstrous

fukk outta here.

"Where bricks get Karate chopped to maximize the Dojo, comprende, I wonder, will my friends make it past the pearly gates, so we could (kick) it, but based on what their sins say(sensei), probably not.."

Name a Kendrick verse better than the Pi verse the last few years.