J. Cole - Might Delete Later (Discussion Thread)

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
I mean it was cool. Cole just has a certain type of sound that he comfortable with.

But I listened to it on an hour drive and the only thing that really stood out production wise was ready 24 and 7 minute drill :manny:

Different strokes I guess.....what other album got this vybe cause I fukk with it :blessed:

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Ain't nothing about J. Cole better than Roc Marci or Benny 🤣...Ransom ehh debatable MAYBE but IDK.

The issue I and many others used to (or still do) have with Cole is that either his production is lacking or he tries too hard to be “deep/conscious” in the most transparent way that turns people off from his music.

Cole don't have a project on the caliber of TT3....but he raps better than benny by all metrics. strictly talking rap.

Tommy Sheppard

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ain't nothing about J. Cole better than Roc Marci or Benny 🤣...Ransom ehh debatable MAYBE but IDK.

The issue I and many others used to (or still do) have with Cole is that either his production is lacking or he tries too hard to be “deep/conscious” in the most transparent way that turns people off from his music.
Benny been dropping mid for the last 2-3 years he ain’t in that convo anymore.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
Cole is definitely at the top of his game but it's mainly about the technical side. He's mastered his wordplay and flow. When it comes to staying in the pocket he's up there with the best of em.

But subject matter wise he's still kinda the same as always. You don't really feel the need to replay his verses like that. Occasionally he says some shyt that makes you say damn. But overall he's still not saying anything that really blows you away. It's really the technical side that leaves you impressed.

Honestly don't think any of these dudes today are up there with the goats :yeshrug: .....was bumpin "mathematics" by mos def earlier and that shyt still leaves me speechless. Don't think anybody alive today is on that level. It's just a different time. Maybe that's why I'm never truly blown away by these guys. Cause I still bump the classics constantly. Like Prodigy on survival of the fittest. Come on now. These guys can't fukk with this. People saying Cole is untouchable but I just don't see it. Great rapper for sure. But far from that all time level.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Thats the bait though.

See what your opponent REALLY has to say about you and then counter. Cole just dropped a fire album off LOOSIES and responded with direct barbs. Now Kendrick is going to have to come at Cole full tilt. Cole can then not only respond, but put his response on The Fall Off and like Nas did with Stillmatic, potentially have a classic album AND diss song within the same year. He’d truly be number 1 if he could pull it off.
i don't really care about the business side of packaging the diss on the album :yeshrug: i get it but it just means nothing to me in a debate, preference.

I can't say it's bait because kendrick forced the nikka to respond, wouldn't this be Cole falling for kendrick's bait?, obviously he's gonna have more records, but i have no reason to believe they'll reach vulgar levels of disrespect, and to me that's gonna decide the winner with these two specifically, but we'll see, his hand may end up being forced to sideline the humble nikka energy and go through his Miami Heat LeBron villain arc

kendrick hasn't put out a loosies project since Untitled iirc, so he should have a decent amount as well but why should that come into the equation? he doesn't have to put out a project of b sides around 1 response track like Cole, doesn't make any sense to bring it into the conversation if the other tracks have nothing to do with him

i hope aubrey doesn't just sit back and watch (but part of me believes him and Cole might put out a whole joint project since that's been the wave anyway, shyt could get ugly for kenneth cuz it'd be nothing but anthems most likely)

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
This isn't what I'm talking about. Show me Kendrick's last verse better than that Cole Pi verse. I'm talking about rapping ability right now.

Cole is categorically the best skilled rapper out of the big 3 today.

Drake only above him cause he can actually make hits and has range between rapping and R&B, but pure rapping Cole got it.

Kendrick just doesn't have the output these last few years to be comparable to the other two. He's coasting off his old projects.

Cole just need to capitalize on the moment now that the spotlights on him and drop the classic he was supposed to give us.

Peak

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He has none within the last few years and this is coming from a huge K.Dot fan.

His last verse even in that stratosphere is his Family Ties verse.

Cole is the first mainstream MC ever to actually WORK his way into elite status. It would be like if Rock Lee actually took Naruto’s spot and became Hokage (for
My anime heads) his growth is crazy. This nikka could get on a track with Ransom, Benny, Conway and Black Thought and eat them ALL alive. I truly believe it
Meh he's already wasted Benny. He would waste Conway easy as well.

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
Whoa now brother. :whoa:

Sometimes I really hate how Benny let Cole go off for like 50 bars like that lol

Cole verse was fire (Benny too) but now it looks like he can eat Bennys food (and Bennys peers), when in reality everyone sounds nice if they can get off like that no diddy.

We saw it when they let Hov go off for 3 minutes on God Did.