J. Cole - Might Delete Later (Discussion Thread)

dubsmith_nz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Aotearoa
Finally got to listen to this on my run this morning. This album is great, some of the songs give me mixtape Cole vibes.

Really fukking with this, gonna keep it in rotation for a minute. "Trae Tha Truth In Ibiza" would have been a great outro for the Fall Off.

Hard to believe these are leftovers, Cole really spitting.

Prodyson

All Star
Daps
It's a great verse but y'all are acting like it's some all time goat level. It's a great display of wordplay and flow but that's about it. what is he really saying. There's a lot of lines where he just forcing shyt to be real.

Hit lick after lick like a lollipop
You nikkas take a lie detect', the polygraph'll probably pop

You know my zone, I live here at the top
Right now,
I'm home alone, Macaulay caulk

I keep the shotty cocked in 'case somebody plot to rob me of this godly spot
Jermaine monstrous

Like that nikka off Jumanji, they know how he rock

:unimpressed:.....I mean if yall are blown away by these bars then ok great. Coles flow is the what really stands out here. The lines themselves are not remarkable at all. The technical display is impressive. But y'all trying to act like this shyt is "untouchable" is hilarious:mjlol:
How do you pick the least of this verse (which is still above average) as evidence he didn’t say shyt, lol. And the flow and pocket he was in with those quotes was dope too.

That’s straight hater shyt. Tip-toeing around the shyt that’s actually making people call the verse dope.

Prodyson

All Star
Daps
I knew somebody would quote this. This is the best portion of the entire verse. It's solid wordplay but not much substance. I'm just not blown away by this type of shyt. Any high level rapper can do this. It's just flipping two words that sound the same.

He was chilling one day and was like "wait a minute....sensei......sins say":ohhh:....he decided beforehand he had to flip it somehow and couldn't figure out how so he just forced it. Those are throwaway elzhi bars that would never see the light of day. Depending on what your sins say?....grammatically it just doesn't make sense. But like I said....if this shyt blows you away that's great. But these are very low level battle rap bars.

Wait a minute. He said karate. Then kick it. Holy fukk. Genius:ohhh::ohhh:.....like I said. Solid wordplay. Solid flow. But overall nothing spectacular.
You’re kind of ignoring what he’s actually saying in those bars in favor of the wordplay…

And as someone who cares about using proper grammar so that lines make sense… most rappers shyt doesn’t make sense if you take that approach… MOST, including your favorites. If you know what they mean on first listen, then its done its job, and talking about grammar is just nitpicking

I have more qualms with the tender/tinder line.

King Karim

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Album is definitely top tier. All these mid to trash albums dropping left and right & we have all of this J Cole slander as if he isn’t clearly An elite lyricist who slaughters beats left & right. Production is phenomenal on this album.
it's a snooze fest

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
You’re kind of ignoring what he’s actually saying in those bars in favor of the wordplay…

And as someone who cares about using proper grammar so that lines make sense… most rappers shyt doesn’t make sense if you take that approach… MOST, including your favorites. If you know what they mean on first listen, then its done its job, and talking about grammar is just nitpicking

nikka a straight up hater. Lol. Clown shyt.

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA-GA

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps

Ok so you admit that it doesn’t really make sense. In order for it to be fire, then at least one version needs to make sense on their own. In this case neither version makes sense. The phrase depending on what their sins say makes zero sense. So it was a reach.

But like I said. This verse is still very impressive. But it’s more about the technical side rather than the content of the lyrics. The flow. The way he stayed in the pocket. Even if some lines didn’t make sense the delivery was still exceptional. But the substance of the verse isn’t that great if we’re being honest. We gotta judge a verse top to bottom. Plenty of dope lines, but also plenty of mid. It’s not nitpicking. You can’t accuse somebody of ignoring the dope lines when you wanna ignore the trash ones.

I actually really enjoyed the verse. Then Cole Stan’s started talking crazy. Saying Kendrick could never do this :mjlol: …..that’s when I had to come through and keep it real. Some of y’all just trying too hard. It’s a very dope verse. But it’s far from special when you really break it down.