J.Cole aka J.Fold apologizes for “7 Minute Drill” & K.Dot at Dreamville Fest (VIDEO) *Eliminated from Big3* (REMOVED SONG from album)

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Swiftly.

Dude's whole existence is an insult to real Hip Hop. For years, I've been saying on here, and elsewhere, that something is missing with dude. You could just hear since day one that he's not really authentic and true to what this is.

This goes to show all the casuals, being a "rapper" does not make you a true MC. The culture has let so many posers in, and it's watered down the spirit of what this sh*t is supposed to be. A lot of these dudes are not built for the arena. And they don’t have the drive to truly be great. They'll say whatever on records, but when it comes time to really get in that booth and bar up, they always expose themselves. Way too many bums getting over. The culture needs to stop just letting anyone in.

He comes off as a fan more than an artist and it bleeds into his music. Even the recent "I'm going to dedicate myself to rapping really well" thing feels more like a normal person grinding in the gym than someone becoming a better ARTIST. He's Talib Kweli on Respiration. Sandwiched between deeply evocative (Mos) and deeply introspective (Common) verses, he gives you the technical prowess of a good verse but it just pales in comparison to something that means more. To me that's the dynamic he has with Kendrick, who is a master at evocative and introspective writing. And no matter how many lyrical exercises he throws out it's not really hitting your soul like that.

He has some impressively introspective songs, like Once An Addict, but overall I've always felt he struggles with that shyt. To me the best example of who Cole is as a rapper is his semi remake of Da Art Of Storytelling. Last verse.

I don't expect a young rapper to match Andre 3k lyrically, that's not my issue. But Andre created a well defined, real character in his verse. Someone with a personality, story, thoughts, dreams and aspirations. All within a few bars. Cole create a faceless "this chick" who exists solely as a set piece in what he thinks is a deep story about being confronted for running thru hoes. It just comes off as lame and when you notice it once it becomes hard not to notice it on nearly all his albums. Faceless characters, colorless backgrounds. Everything is a mirror for Cole's narcissism basically.

Yecht

Superstar
Daps
He comes off as a fan more than an artist and it bleeds into his music. Even the recent "I'm going to dedicate myself to rapping really well" thing feels more like a normal person grinding in the gym than someone becoming a better ARTIST. He's Talib Kweli on Respiration. Sandwiched between deeply evocative (Mos) and deeply introspective (Common) verses, he gives you the technical prowess of a good verse but it just pales in comparison to something that means more. To me that's the dynamic he has with Kendrick, who is a master at evocative and introspective writing. And no matter how many lyrical exercises he throws out it's not really hitting your soul like that.

He has some impressively introspective songs, like Once An Addict, but overall I've always felt he struggles with that shyt. To me the best example of who Cole is as a rapper is his semi remake of Da Art Of Storytelling. Last verse.

I don't expect a young rapper to match Andre 3k lyrically, that's not my issue. But Andre created a well defined, real character in his verse. Someone with a personality, story, thoughts, dreams and aspirations. All within a few bars. Cole create a faceless "this chick" who exists solely as a set piece in what he thinks is a deep story about being confronted for running thru hoes. It just comes off as lame and when you notice it once it becomes hard not to notice it on nearly all his albums. Faceless characters, colorless backgrounds. Everything is a mirror for Cole's narcissism basically.

You sound like you jerk off to old episodes of Def Poetry :huhldup:

DapMeUp!

Superstar
Daps
Not a good look for Kenny, asap or any of them other nikkas drake gave #1 hits too but folk will ignore the obvious

So he just got free reign to diss the mother of his children cause he took him on tour a decade ago? :heh:

Oh My God bro remove his balls from your jaw so he can get in the booth and respond :snoop:Jesus

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
So he just got free reign to diss the mother of his children cause he took him on tour a decade ago? :heh:

Oh My God bro remove his balls from your jaw so he can get in the booth and respond :snoop:Jesus
Them nikkas been sneak dissing his for the last decade… The thing with Drake is he don’t respond directly but indirectly on later songs and most people don’t catch it until the other artist takes a shot at Drake and then they realize Drake shot at them a few songs and albums ago then they go down the rabbit hole…

Datmeup breh :mjgrin:

AllHolosEve

Her Name Is Mistress Death
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SouthSide, MPLS
......Thats what people are missing . Nobody has really ever had an “i want people to say i’m better than you” beef. That in itself is corny af. And these 3 who aren’t even in the same lane and don’t even have the same fans, now supposedly got “beef” cause the internet can’t decide who’s best. That’s not Hip-Hop
:stopitslime:
-I ain't even finish the thread but had to stop & point out this is nonsense. Damn near every beef in hip hop is about showing people I'm better than you and having them acknowledge it. It was always so show the fans that & that's who's on the Internet. Kendrick always said he wanted the top spot. This is all hip hop.

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York

Do you think Cole made the switch to battle rapping because he knew he couldn't compete in that lane Kendrick occupies? And I'm not knocking Cole for doing that. Back in the golden age of hip hop, a lot of rappers made songs about their skills. It's one of the things that defined that era and it's something I don't see rappers do anymore. But I definitely feel like Cole, in his quest to become one of the best rappers in the game, wanted to be taken more seriously. 4YEO is an example of that, but the songs that stuck with me the most didn't even make the album. KOD was a better attempt, but it's been a while since I've listened to it and that was the height of Cole's production sounding stale.

I think he realized where he could excel and decided to go as far as he could in that lane, which is why The Off-Season is his best album. It has emotional songs, but there's more aggression and urgency on that album than his previous ones. He can't make a concept album like Kendrick can, but he can definitely make a dope album with just beats and rhymes like the 80s legends did.

Cuban Pete

Aka 305DeadCounty
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY MONOPOLY

Jesus Christ this shyt cuts deep, repped

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
-I ain't even finish the thread but had to stop & point out this is nonsense. Damn near every beef in hip hop is about showing people I'm better than you and having them acknowledge it. It was always so show the fans that & that's who's on the Internet. Kendrick always said he wanted the top spot. This is all hip hop.
Stop it.

Name any one classic diss track/beef that doesn’t have a real personal problem driving it:usure:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Do you think Cole made the switch to battle rapping because he knew he couldn't compete in that lane Kendrick occupies? And I'm not knocking Cole for doing that. Back in the golden age of hip hop, a lot of rappers made songs about their skills. It's one of the things that defined that era and it's something I don't see rappers do anymore. But I definitely feel like Cole, in his quest to become one of the best rappers in the game, wanted to be taken more seriously. 4YEO is an example of that, but the songs that stuck with me the most didn't even make the album. KOD was a better attempt, but it's been a while since I've listened to it and that was the height of Cole's production sounding stale.

I think he realized where he could excel and decided to go as far as he could in that lane, which is why The Off-Season is his best album. It has emotional songs, but there's more aggression and urgency on that album than his previous ones. He can't make a concept album like Kendrick can, but he can definitely make a dope album with just beats and rhymes like the 80s legends did.

I think you might be right, perhaps he doesn't think he's on that level. However I personally thought he started to improve on that front before abandoning it for this lyrical miracle adventures. The 4YEO title track was him doing a great job rapping from another perspective. Yea it's similar to Sing About Me, without being as good....but it was an impressive track nonetheless IMO. And like I mentioned, the Once An Addict track on the following album comes to mind. It just seems like he decided to focus on the wrong shyt instead of improving as a writer, not a rapper.

I also think the entire premise of the "fall off" is wrong. Maybe I got it fukked up and the album will be different. But it sure seems like it's gonna be him saying hey look I can still rap really well, I never fell off. Ok fine. Nas was rapping pretty well on Nastradamus too lol. That doesn't make it a good album.

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
I think you might be right, perhaps he doesn't think he's on that level. However I personally thought he started to improve on that front before abandoning it for this lyrical miracle adventures. The 4YEO title track was him doing a great job rapping from another perspective. Yea it's similar to Sing About Me, without being as good....but it was an impressive track nonetheless IMO. And like I mentioned, the Once An Addict track on the following album comes to mind. It just seems like he decided to focus on the wrong shyt instead of improving as a writer, not a rapper.

I also think the entire premise of the "fall off" is wrong. Maybe I got it fukked up and the album will be different. But it sure seems like it's gonna be him saying hey look I can still rap really well, I never fell off. Ok fine. Nas was rapping pretty well on Nastradamus too lol. That doesn't make it a good album.

It seems like he heard the criticisms from people who were calling his music boring, questioning why he never has or does features, wondering why he doesn't get outside producers. He got to a place where he was comfortable, and FHD afforded him a lot of goodwill, but he wanted to challenge himself more because he was becoming a father and he was contemplating retirement. With the feature run and everything he's done since KOD, it feels like he's been trying to set up the last act of his career. He probably doesn't see himself rapping at Nas or Jay's age.

Cole reminds me a lot of Eminem at this point (minus the apology and taking the song off streaming). They're both reactionary people, so if they keep getting criticized for something, they stop doing it and go the opposite direction as much as they can. The Off-Season has features, outside producers, and beats with more of an uptempo style. 4YEO and to some extent, KOD don't go that route. Might Delete Later has the same vibe as The Off-Season and I'm assuming The Fall Off will. But if Cole is as reactionary as I think he is, he might go back to the drawing board and it will end up being an emotional, introspective album. Especially if he still plans on retiring after he releases it/tours it.

AllHolosEve

Her Name Is Mistress Death
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SouthSide, MPLS
Stop it.
Name any one classic diss track/beef that doesn’t have a real personal problem driving it
-Stop reaching. Street beef/hip hop beef all have personal reasons for happening & they're not the same. Jay/Nas was about Jay wanting everyone to recognize him as king of NY. LL had beefs that were just about wax, like Canibus.