It's time we stop recognizing Chris Paul as a great defensive player

LV Koopa

Jester from Hell
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Chris Paul is currently the only guard ranked as the best defenser on gis squad. Hes got Center impact right now.

Noah

All Star
Daps
Honestly it is so hard to trust stats that claim to quantify defensive impact, especially for guards. Eye test> in this particular exercise.

Daps
Honestly it is so hard to trust stats that claim to quantify defensive impact, especially for guards. Eye test> in this particular exercise.
shyt like APBRmetrics - yeah they hold little-to-no weight. But specific defensive situational plays (ISO, off-screen, ball-handler, spot up etc etc), Keep-in-Front Drive% and contest rate are basically an extension of the eye test. And I mean the main problem here is that a defensive tag sticks (whether you're good or bad) seemingly no matter what - it's half the reason CP still gets All-Defensive 1st team nods and is still lauded as the best defensive PG by the public.

I mean shyt there was a popular narrative that CP was shutting down Lillard during last post season (pointing to Lillard's low FG%), despite a video in rotation detailing why he wasn't. It's like what the fukk were people watching that made them come to that conclusion in the first place?

Last edited:
Daps
He's better defensively than Curry and Harden so far this season, albeit in 12 or so games
:yeshrug:
He can barely stay in front of his matchup anymore. He's certainly shown more urgency and consistency this season - I'll give him that, but that's only because his lack of effort has been horrendous over the last few seasons. He regularly took possessions off, and if it weren't for DeAndre being a great rim protector/help defender it would've been a layup line for PGs on most nights.

GoddamnyamanProf

Countdown to Armageddon
Daps
Seems you're partner in crime Bilz can see that Chris Paul isn't as good defensively as he's made out to be. :manny:
Bilz is good at shytting on the Lakers. Beyond that, I dont know why you'd expect me to care what any poster thinks when my eyes and the facts tell me all I need to know.