ITS HERE! Cosmos with Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson: A Space Time Odyssey Series

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
The show is okay. I enjoy the visuals. But I prefer that he stick to science of the cosmos and leave the whole evolution and creation thing alone because he has no evidence for evolution. I also disliked him promoting the idea that europeans came up with the heliocentric model of the universe which is false. Just stick to teaching me about the universe and leave the indoctrination out.

PS: Im actually fascinated with the fact that the Vatican owns so many large telescopes and observatories, and has astrophysicist priests. All that Jesus stuff is for the uninitiated public. They have studied the social science of religion. And they are studying all the other sciences as well. Remember the priestly class was hoarding the knowledge. It should come as no surprise that men like Columbus and Vespucci had ties to the Dominican order. In fact Vespucci was educated by his Dominican Friar uncle. Would not be surprised to learn that Giovanni Cabot also had ties to some monastic order of the Roman Catholic Church.

You cannot discuss the science of the cosmos without touching on evolution. You cannot touch on evolution without discrediting Genesis. Point blank period. Its an inconvenient truth. Only people that hold onto the LITERAL translation of their religious works get bent out of shape.

But I agree with the rest of your post.

Hawaiian Punch

umop-apisdn
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The I in Team
Today's episode on light hit me in a profound way. It's funny, because even though I know most of the material he speaks about there's always that moment in the episode where you are like :ohhh:. That moment where Fraunhofer put the prism to the telescope and saw the gaps in the light spectrum was powerful. Even though I think I know this stuff I just never considered it in the way it is being presented to me. It's just incredible that all these moments that change the course of history start with one question, why?

Thank you based Tyson :lawd:

[Something Cool]

Not a Well-Known Member
Daps
Reppin
exorbitant legal fees
This was the best episode so far imo. From prior research I was able to hang with the explanations of how vast and complicated the universe was however, the scientific breakdown as to why we experience something as commonplace and everyday as wavelengths of color and sound was amazing

Last edited:

Hawaiian Punch

umop-apisdn
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The I in Team
This was the best episode so far imo. From prior research I was able to hang with the explanations of how vast and complicated the universe was however, the scientific breakdown as to why we experience something as commonplace and everyday as wavelengths of color and sound was amazing

It was an amazing breakdown

The War Report

NewNewYork
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
Greatness can be found anywhere. :wow:

It's amazing how far the Arabs have fallen. :wow: They should be as progressive and enlightened as their European counterparts.

Light is so fundamental to our understanding of the universe. :owow:

Last edited:

Hawaiian Punch

umop-apisdn
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The I in Team
I had to watch the episode again. Man when Tyson was talking about the hydrogen atom and how when the electron drops to a lower orbital and gives off a specific light my dikk got hard. No homo. But still I'm really watching this shyt like :noah:. God I love science.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Motorist Suing Astrophysicist Over Big Bang
Neil deGrasse Tyson "zoned out" before accident

neildegra.jpg

View Document

Neil deGrasse Tyson

• Neil deGrasse Tyson
Submit a Tip!

Signup for the TSG Newsletter!

APRIL 4--Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson was driving an Audi with “UNIVRSE” license plates when he “zoned out” and sideswiped one vehicle before rear-ending another car, whose driver is now suing the “Cosmos” host for $5 million, according to court records.

neildegrassetysoninside.jpg
A trial date is set for next week in the New York State Supreme Court case, though a postponement is likely.

The April 2012 accident occurred after Tyson, 55, had gone to John F. Kennedy International Airport for the arrival of the space shuttle Enterprise.

On the drive home that afternoon to his Manhattan residence, Tyson’s 2007 Audi struck a 2001 Dodge Intrepid being driven by a 30-year-old Connecticut woman. His vehicle then hit the rear of a Mercedes-Benz being driven by Krzysztof Bugajski, 47.

In a deposition last year, Tyson said that he had“kind of zoned and lost attention” as he was driving along the Van Wyck Expressway in Queens. After a “slow drift” into the Dodge, Tyson testified that he did not realize he had struck the car since, with its windows closed, his Audi is“well insulated, so the beginning scratch along the Intrepid wasn’t sufficient to sort of snap me out.”

Tyson said that when the Audi’s side-view mirror struck the Dodge, the impact “wakes me up. By then, I’m headed towards the Mercedes, I begin to apply the brakes, it’s too late.” Tyson initially testified he was traveling about three to eight miles an hour, but upped that estimate to five to ten miles later in the deposition.

Asked if the Mercedes was moving at the time of impact, Tyson answered, “It was. If it was not stopped, it was moving very slowly and the physics requires that it was moving slower than I was.”

In response to a question about whether he had fallen asleep at the wheel, Tyson replied, “Sleep doesn’t feel like the right word to me and probably the word zoning is not a, you know, an official term in anybody’s lexicon, but the drone of the stop and go left me in that state.”

Bugajski’s complaint alleges that Tyson dozed off as he was driving at an “excessive, illegal and dangerous rate of speed.” The resulting collision reportedlyleft Bugajski with a severe shoulder injury that required arthroscopic surgery and continuing rehabilitation, as well as injuries to his right knee, according to court papers filed by his lawyer Justin Blitz.

Bugajski, a Queens resident, was driving a Mercedes owned by Lew Frankfort, executive chairman of Coach, the luxury goods firm. According to Bugajski’s deposition testimony, he works for Frankfort as a driver/personal assistant who also handles household chores for the businessman. Frankfort lives across the street from the Hayden Planetarium, where Tyson serves as director.

Tyson’s wife Alice Young, a passenger in the Audi, was originally named as a defendant in Bugajski’s lawsuit, but was subsequently dropped from the case .

While Bugajski’s negligence complaint does not specify monetary damages, a subsequent court filing reveals that he is seeking $5 million for the “serious injuries” suffered in the accident. (16 pages)