Its been 10 years since "Chocolate Rain" dropped

Piffery

All Star
Daps
He's always shied away from talking about what the track meant, here's his perspective on it:

"I always say, the question is more important than the answer. I sing about what I can't talk about. I sing because there are things I cannot speak. I think it takes away from what I sing and the musicality and the moment of the music to be verbally polemic, and to give verbal footnotes, as in "This should mean this, and this."

We live in a society with an epidemic of declaratives and a poverty of interrogatives, and I think that part of the lasting appeal of "Chocolate Rain" is that question perhaps being allowed to be an interrogative. What is the meaning of "Chocolate Rain?" Some people deduce that it might have a political message or a message about social justice or power, and what I would say is that there are people who would not want to receive a polemic message on those topics, but if they can be brought from not having an interrogative to being in a state of interrogative, questioning, "What is the meaning of Chocolate Rain," I think that's a fantastic outcome."

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Oh, we knew back then dude was coming with flames...but white folks tore it to shreds and made him a William Hung type figure...:snoop:

Dude shoulda got a deal and got some real production behind that voice and pen game...:wow:

"Chocolate Rain, every February washed away..." :to:
"Chocolate Rain, History quickly crashing through your veins" :damn:

Last edited:

The D-List Vet

Being in a recommendation system.
Daps
Reppin
Coli.
Oh shyt.

It is almost 4am...My ass has insomnia.

I see this thread. Opened it.

Blown the fukk away. I am listening to this shyt and can't believe I never REALLY listened to it.

10 years...The lyrics and meaning have always been there...But the viral nature and comedy around it had me blind as shyt.

This was literally like a glimpse into what white privilege and ignorance is. Literally could not see or hear the message until just fukking now.

I sound like I'm trolling but I'm not. Wow.
bump because this is true for me... i was young af when this came out... was way to younger to understand this