It's Almost Mid Jan and The Reasons for Owning a System For Current Gen Titles are Looking Scarce

Nahmeanz

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The faster loading speeds are a good enough reason to go through your backlog on a PS5

kaldurahm

All Star
Daps
Honestly, the Nintendo switch launch was more hype than these consoles. Best part is that they're fast, because of SSD and 60 fps. That's about it.

If it weren't for Xbox gamepass, I would've returned that shyt. PS5 was about to get flipped after I finished demons souls. But people in my family want it.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The "day 1 killer app" this gen is all your games running like they should have in the first place, and loading times being damn near eradicated. It's a new experience almost, rivaling a decked out PC and a fraction of the cost, with zero work. Then, the promise of whatever gets made, which is sure to be previously unseen off PC. IMO, console finally caught up.
What you're saying should be expected though. Consoles don't get extra points for games not crashing or better loading times. :mjlol:

Next gen consoles are nowhere near a "decked out PC" though.

People get consoles for convenience. People get PCs because they want the best of the best.

I have both so I really don't care either way. :yeshrug:

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Yep. Last console that was actually really worth it day 1 was the DC.

And DC is the last console I got day 1. :wow:

Everything else, there hasn't been a compelling reason to invest day 1.

Fred.

kaldurahm

All Star
Daps
What you're saying should be expected though. Consoles don't get extra points for games not crashing or better loading times. :mjlol:

People get consoles for convenience. People get PCs because they want the best of the best.

Fred.
I always thought PC was overrated for some reason until I finally built one recently. It ain't even top of the line; 3060 TI, 5600x, 32 GB of RAM and it ain't the fast ram either, basic 1tb SSD. I then realized how wrong I was.

kaldurahm

All Star
Daps
But how? The only game the switch had worth playing two months in was BOTW a game that played and looked nearly identical on the Wii-U
Which is true, and I'm currently using the switch as a ring fit Adventure machine now. But in 2017 I was pretty blown away, switch games also had relatively fast load times and boot times compared to PS4/Xbox both because games are simpler but also because its internal drive. The ability to switch between tv and handheld was novel enough. These new consoles are dope don't get me wrong but at the same time it's kinda whatever. The fact people were paying more than retail, to me it's really funny.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
These next gen consoles are a huge improvement.

Just not graphically out the gate, or for games that the masses really care about.

It's hard to show how much a a QOL systems instantly booting up, or load screens being a fraction of the time they were or not there at all is.

Same with higher frame rates resolution.

You just have to experience it.

No as far as a next gen exclusive full game this generation was terrible.

IDC about DS3 and miles is a cross gen upgrade.

The Xbox literally has nothing

With that said while it hasn't been the most exciting game wise. It's been one of the best tech and QOL wise.

Probably the best.

For the 1st time ever, I actually want to go back and play games that either I didn't finish or are just backlog because of backwards compatibility, and next gen upgrades and improved load times and things.

Alot of y'all in y'all mid 20's or early 30's so the systems that released in the last 14 years are going through be GOAT.

Y'all kinda missed out on the wild wild west of consoles releases and big graphical upgrades.

From terrible pixelated images, to smoother ones, to good one, to terrible 3d, to better, to smooth ones, to open world settings.

Basically there are no huge jumps now. Just a bunch of smaller hops.

The days of being wowed by console next gen graphics are probably gone.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
These next gen consoles are a huge improvement.

Just not graphically out the gate, or for games that the masses really care about.

It's hard to show how much a a QOL systems instantly booting up, or load screens being a fraction of the time they were or not there at all is.

Same with higher frame rates resolution.

You just have to experience it.

No as far as a next gen exclusive full game this generation was terrible.

IDC about DS3 and miles is a cross gen upgrade.

The Xbox literally has nothing

With that said while it hasn't been the most exciting game wise. It's been one of the best tech and QOL wise.

Probably the best.

For the 1st time ever, I actually want to go back and play games that either I didn't finish or are just backlog because of backwards compatibility, and next gen upgrades and improved load times and things.

Alot of y'all in y'all mid 20's or early 30's so the systems that released in the last 14 years are going through be GOAT.

Y'all kinda missed out on the wild wild west of consoles releases and big graphical upgrades.

From terrible pixelated images, to smoother ones, to good one, to terrible 3d, to better, to smooth ones, to open world settings.

Basically there are no huge jumps now. Just a bunch of smaller hops.

The days of being wowed by console next gen graphics are probably gone.

This is the biggest “leap” i felt with consoles in a while tbh...

Not just the fast loading times but the framerate completely changes the gaming expereince. The fact that you can put in old games (especially on xbox) and have a remastered game pretty much is incredible.

I think it’s a bit early to say whether or not there will be a big leap in graphics as that typically tends to happen mid gen at this point. Compare TLOU to TLOU part 2 and you will see just how huge the leap was, if it’s the equivalent of ps3 to ps4, on top of the 60fps/RTX/4k upgrades....yeah, I think this is the first time I’m genuinely excited about the future of a gaming console

Daps

Not just the fast loading times but the framerate completely changes the gaming expereince. The fact that you can put in on games (especially on xbox) and have a remastered game pretty much is incredible.

I think it’s a bit early to say whether or not there will be a big leap in graphics as that typically tends to happen mid gen at this point. Compare TLOU to TLOU part 2 and you will see just how huge the leap was, if it’s the equivalent of ps3 to ps4, on top of the 60fps/RTX/4k upgrades....yeah, I think this is the first time I’m genuinely excited about the future of a gaming console
this low key feels like an xbot thread
some of the best years of gaming (at least on the ps5 :mjpls:) are ahead
anyone playing on a quality 4k tv sees a massive leap
I play on a CX and my jaw constantly hits the floor

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Not just the fast loading times but the framerate completely changes the gaming expereince. The fact that you can put in old games (especially on xbox) and have a remastered game pretty much is incredible.

I agree, I more so mean the "wow I have to have this for launch game."

Ratchet would have been that game imo but it falls just outside that window.

Granted most people probably really won't have a ps5 until March or April anyway so it works out.

Picking up a PS5 in April is actually a really solid new console experience if nothing gets delayed

Probably one of the best 6 month windows in general.

But as for getting a new console, overall this launch has been one of the best ones for me

Minus the shiny new next game I must have.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I agree, I more so mean the "wow I have to have this for launch game."

Ratchet would have been that game imo but it falls just outside that window.

Granted most people probably really won't have a ps5 until March or April anyway so it works out.

Picking up a PS5 in April is actually a really solid new console experience if nothing gets delayed

Probably one of the best 6 month windows in general.

But as for getting a new console, overall this launch has been one of the best ones for me

Minus the shiny new next game I must have.

I honestly can't remember the last console that came out with a must have day one exclusive. I think it's Dreamcast with Sonic Adventure

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I honestly can't remember the last console that came out with a must have day one exclusive. I think it's Dreamcast with Sonic Adventure
Funny enough that was it for me too, sonic adventure and blue stinger.

Well xbox 1 with killer instinct also, but I know I'm in the minority with that.

Oh and I bought a ps2 off the hype of The Bouncer

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

Fred.
I wouldn't call it "extra points", but the SX and PS5 are basically "daywalkers" now. They now have almost all of the console and PC strengths and almost none of the weaknesses. The experience as a whole is great. I have a capable PC, I just don't want to spend a rack or more to upgrade my video card and monitors. Just not worth it to me.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
And DC is the last console I got day 1. :wow:

Everything else, there hasn't been a compelling reason to invest day 1.

Fred.
No doubt

Wasn't the last day 1 for me..

Got the xbox and gc day 1 back in the day. Wasn't worth day 1ing either of those. Ps2 got hella play :francis:

• Dap
Reactions: hex