I will refresh my memory but that doesn't bode well for this EXCELLENT movie

Normally those stick out in your mind

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
I’m sure you can find plenty of people online (and possibly this board) who’d make those comparisons homie. Let’s not forget IMDb said dark knight was the greatest film ever for quite some time. Ever. In history. Period.
Come on fam. If being able to find people who say something online is the criteria for taking anything seriously I'd have to take it seriously that the Gucci Mane walking these streets is a clone. I can't accept that, breh:mjcry:

Cartier Murphy

Apathy’s a Tragedy & Boredom is a Crime
Daps
Logan is about a broken middle aged dude who lost his friends and the love of his life. He must find a reason to go on while caring for an old man and a child who may end up going down the same path he did. It explores the themes of aging, fatherhood, regret, etc. and for those reasons and a personal connection to them, it resonated with me deep last year, to the point where I could and only wanted to watch it once. It’s the kind of story that has been told similarity outside of a CBM, they just happened to tell it within those confines in such a way that evoked a largely positive reaction. Saying it’s a great CBM but not a great movie I think does it a disservice, and is a bit narrow minded. Maybe I’m just biased but I can’t rock with him with this take :manny:

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Maybe training day but that don't have a got damn thing to do with that faqqot Ethan

You niqqas just don't like CBMs

Which is fine

Baby Driver? I wouldn't watch that before I would watch Logan again
Lol nah. I love CBMs but I won't hold them to the same strength as more recent memorable movies or movie franchises.

Daps
Reppin
Denver
People like this are the worst. If it’s a great superhero movie, it’s a great movie. If it’s a great horror movie, it’s a great movie. If it’s a great comedy, it’s a great movie. Different movies offer different things, and their greatness depends on how they deliver those things. Only judging movies on dialogue and dramatic acting is dumb as fukk.

I bet Ethan hawke thinks any music that isn’t classical or bebop jazz can’t be good either.

Last edited:

Benefited

Banned
Daps
Think about all the great action movies that never got Oscar nominations,none of the Diehards even won Oscars:comeon:? None of the Batman trilogy movies were nominated for Oscars:comeon:

Obviously they are just hoping to get ratings with this move. I think Watchmen got some nominations though. I won't say comic book movies can't be worthy of awards,I just don't think Logan was that great to win an award.Most comic book movies you can't say maintain artistic integrity because they are bound by comic book movie rules,and will usually have to comprimise to meet action quotas and give fan service.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
The problem is that there is a clear double standard with the fans too. Back in the ol' days of IMDb when I would be shytting on Transformers there'd always be the dumb-asses saying shyt like 'why are you acting like every movie needs to be The Godfather? Some movies just want to be mindless fun'.

Those same apologists of awful blockbusters where of course also the same ones masdively downvoting The Godfather so The Dark Knight could become the highest rated movie on IMDb, which shows that deep down these nerds desperately wanted their summer blockbuster flicks to be recognized as great cinema.

Every time I hear fools talking about how they wanted Wonder Woman or Logan or now Black Panther to be nominated for Best Picture I just laugh because it just continues to expose people as nerds still seeking aconowledgment that their blockbuster movies are real cinema too. It's quite pathetic actually.

Cuban Pete

Aka 305DeadCounty
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY MONOPOLY
Lol at caring what Ethan Hawke has to say about anything let alone good movies. Ol one hot movie every 20 year average, Training Day was the best shyt I ever done and I got outshined by a wheelchair bound Snoop head ass :snoop:

Edit: Matter fact I aint even done with chu nikka :mjgrin:

Take the worst parts of Kevin Bacon and Edward Norton, put it in a blender, then shyt in that blender, and what you get is prime Ethan Hawke :deadmanny:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I wanted to hate on him, but to tell you the truth....he ain't telling any lies.

Logan got raved about because it explored themes that superhero movies rarely explore. But if it were, say, a regular drama, then everyone would have expected it to explore those themes.

And "An older man with a dark past and little future extends himself one last time to save the young hope he sees something of himself in" is not a striking new plot for an action movie, it's basically The Professional. I think Gran Torino, for instance, did it better. Or the last couple episodes of Breaking Bad.

I liked the movie. The cinematography is great, Jackson's character is great, all the other actors play their one-dimensional characters well (and other than Wolverine, it does feel like all the other characters are pretty much one-dimensional). But it's a good movie, not a great movie. All difficult plot points are resolved with a bloodbath. All the difficulties of aging that define the whole narrative are magically whisked away merely by drinking green goo. Everything you expect to happen pretty much happens. The movie doesn't really "say" anything, the resolution is simply that even though the old good guys die, in the end the good guys still beat the bad guys because the good guys had better powers and the necessary magic gun.

If a non-superhero film had explored the exact same things with the exact same amount of care and exact same acting performances and revolved its issues in the same way...no way anyone calls it some "great" movie. It would have been considered a good, not great, movie at best.

The Dark Knight is an example of a superhero movie that maintained all of the comic book campiness yet managed to be a "great" movie at the same time. There is a twisting and intricate plot, measured depth to characters outside of just the hero, moral dilemmas that are actually dilemmas and make you think, plot twists that you couldn't predict, and an ending that you couldn't see coming. It's possible to make a great superhero movie that is also a great movie, you just have to hold it to the standards of a great movie and not some knock-off lowered expectations. Black Panther is probably in that camp too.

Its absurd, cause then these people will turn around and talk about how the original Star Wars movies and the Indiana Jones films are some of the finest films ever made.
I ain't gonna believe for a second that anyone involved actually says Star Wars/Indiana Jones are some of the finest films ever made.

They aren't even "great" for their genre. :snoop:

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
I’m sure you can find plenty of people online (and possibly this board) who’d make those comparisons homie. Let’s not forget IMDb said dark knight was the greatest film ever for quite some time. Ever. In history. Period.

tbf it's not like it was only some nerds on IMDb loving the movie at release. Critics loved it and people are still talking about how great it is today, 10 years later. When is the last time when someone talked about Iron Man outside a Marvel thread? or the first Avengers movie? Even with all the hype behind Logan last year it seems to be forgotten by many really fast.

Last edited:

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
tbf it's not like it was only some nerds on IMDb loving the movie at release. Critics loved it and people are still talking about how great it is today, 10 years later. When is the last time when someone talk about Iron Man outside a Marvel thread? or the first Avengers movie? Even with all the hype behind Logan last year it seems to be forgotten by many really fast.
Who is still talking about the Dark Knight?