"It's a fine superhero movie... but it's not a great movie." - Ethan Hawke

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
would you really stack them up against other great movies that exist outside the genre?

are any of those movies as good as braveheart?

Like he said it comes down to opinion; all of this shyt does. On the internet we seem to forget that though. I think The Godfather is the greatest movie ever made. Period. I accept no other answer in my mind to that question. But I understand if someone else feels differently and I listen to why rather than explaining to them why I disagree. So if someone were to rank the dark knight in the same breath as The Godfather, while I’d initially disagree I’d still want to hear why and realize I’m not going to change their opinion.

There is no “fact” for art; it’s subjective. I believe wu tang clan is the greatest rap group of all time and I have my reasons. But someone else may have experienced NWA or OutKast in the same way I experienced wu and for them, they’re the greatest. And that’s cool. Different opinions make the world go round. It’s not like we’re debating 2+2

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
would you really stack them up against other great movies that exist outside the genre?

are any of those movies as good as braveheart?

Braveheart is basically a superhero movie,so yeah. Even has men playing dress up and wearing makeup :russ:

I'd put Killmongers dream sequence and put it up against most "real" movie scenes that get praised like that and believe it holds up. Sure the movie ends with giant rhinos fighting and spaceships but at the end of the day it's still performances that matter.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Braveheart is basically a superhero movie,so yeah. Even has men playing dress up and wearing makeup :russ:

I'd put Killmongers dream sequence and put it up against most "real" movie scenes that get praised like that and believe it holds up. Sure the movie ends with giant rhinos fighting and spaceships but at the end of the day it's still performances that matter.
Right, plus they pushed William Wallace's charisma to the people around him past believability. Every guy loved him and every chic wanted to fukk. It was kinda annoying.

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
Same thing could be said about Magnificent 7. That was a great western film.
Ethan is a Hollywood Elitist. I surprised so many breh agree. Put quantifiers on a movie because of its source material is ridiculous.

I completely forgot about that wack shyt, forgot that he was in it too.

Logan>>> A remake of a 'genre film'.

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
Right, plus they pushed William Wallace's charisma to the people around him past believability. Every guy loved him and every chic wanted to fukk. It was kinda annoying.

He shot lightening bolts out of his arse.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Guy on birthmoviesdeath summarizes my feelings on this perfectly:

Perhaps unsurprisingly, hawke’s opinion has led to no small amount of debate on social media, where nuanced discourse reigns supreme. Some folks feel like Hawkes got a point. Some folks feel like he’s being a snob about the whole thing. Still others, myself included, count themselves fans of both Ethan Hawke and superhero movies, and are struggling to summon the energy to care about any of this, largely because Ethan Hawke’s opinion of superhero movies does not have any impact on my ability to enjoy them.

Sir Charles Barkley

The Chuckster
Daps
Reppin
TNT & Turner Family
Like he said it comes down to opinion; all of this shyt does. On the internet we seem to forget that though. I think The Godfather is the greatest movie ever made. Period. I accept no other answer in my mind to that question. But I understand if someone else feels differently and I listen to why rather than explaining to them why I disagree. So if someone were to rank the dark knight in the same breath as The Godfather, while I’d initially disagree I’d still want to hear why and realize I’m not going to change their opinion.

There is no “fact” for art; it’s subjective. I believe wu tang clan is the greatest rap group of all time and I have my reasons. But someone else may have experienced NWA or OutKast in the same way I experienced wu and for them, they’re the greatest. And that’s cool. Different opinions make the world go round. It’s not like we’re debating 2+2

people have the right to their opinion but then others have the right not to take them seriously. someone may fukk with lil yachty over outkast but i doubt there's much insight i can gain talking to this person.

if someone told me that dark knight is the best movie they've ever seen i'd just have to assume they don't watch many movies outside of the superhero genre... or they're 12 years old.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
I hold good films in high regard, yes. "These films" as in sectioning off comic book movies from the rest of cinema is some weak shyt.

There have been very good to great films in the comic book genre. I'd rather watch The Winter Soldier than the vast majority of films featuring Ethan Hawk.

With that being said, Logan is aight, haven't watched it again, don't plan to. Super overrated and a bad example of a great film in the genre.

And as the comic book genre expands, especially with the influence of the MCU and how they've done shyt, you're going to get comic book movies that fit into other genres. There is a hell of a lot of potential in the source materials that go beyond CBM's going the way of the Western like everybody assumes.
Personally, the majority of these comic book films are one-and-done watches. For example, I enjoyed Avengers in the theater...but I sincerely don't feel compelled to watch it ever again. Can I really call a film like that "great?"

Like others have said, comic book movies can be great, but what we currently have are popcorn flicks that won't have much staying power when it's all said and done.

It's kind of like comic book movies are the Eminem of cinema (and I swear to God I had this forumlating in my head last night before you ever came in here :russ:!!!). They're vastly popular with the numbers to back it up and while they may get props now, primarily from their target demographic, time will not at all be kind to them as it's mostly mindless and quite frankly juvenile entertainment (which is absolutely fine but that can't last). 10, 15, 20 years from now, the only people left giving these movies praise will be a small sect who feel a sense of nostalgia since they were able to experience it in real time, while everyone else has washed their hands of them.

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
Source material is already provided for CBMs, whereas original films require more creativity more often than not...

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
You can definitely question his cred though. Dude has done a lot of garbage. He was in The Purge.
You can say all Ethan Hawke has is Training Day. Name 3 comic book movies fukking with Training Day.

I'll give you Dark Knight for free.