"It's a fine superhero movie... but it's not a great movie." - Ethan Hawke

snikt6384

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As a comic nerd, i'm actually with him on Logan being overrated. I liked it quite a bit, but didn't know what the fuss was about. But i'm not with him being all uppity about shyt like he wasn't in The Purge and Sinister. Not everything you did was Gattaca and Linklater movies, breh.

Superhero movies are mostly just blockbuster action movies with pieces of different genres, and didn't those ALWAYS exist? And some of those have no substance, and some give you a lil something to think about. Like I think Terminator 2 is an all time fukking classic, but its just an action movie at the end of the day. Does this thumbing of the nose exist for Mission Impossible, or other mostly vapid action genres?

So I dunno, I don't get what he's bytching about. There are still a ton of dramas and arthouse movies that drop every year, and get critical acclaim. Like there's maybe what...5 comic book movies a year? Out of how many movies that release in theaters?

Is he upset that like 2 out of the ton of comic book movies that currently exist are movies that got like a half assed reputation as high art? Just disagree and move on, man. Like I may not love Logan, but its certainly better than some of the shyt i've seen dude in. I like him. But stop it.

Bruce LeRoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
There arnt many great movies that have come out over the past few decades, period.

Like even a lot of the indy and Oscars season flicks have no replay value and seem to go away like a fart in the wind once award season is over...

You got critics out here saying movies like "You Were Never Really Here" is the new age Taxi Driver...shyt is so sensational and standards are low for good movies to be hailed as great...

Last edited:

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
:rudy:

Ethan is just hating.

Black panther is a great movie.
Logan is great movie.

No need for qualifiers.

Is Ethan a 'great' non-superhero actor? :troll:

Black Panther isn’t great...but I still respect the push it gave us

No Marvel movies rare great

Formerly Black Trash

Daps
Reppin
Na
What about the arthouse/indie films that get praised for being "real" and "deep"?

Aren't some of these smaller movies lifted from novels? :sas1:

Are they all getting praised and Oscar noms because of their greatness alone? :sas1:

Or do some get praised for what they are not, i.e., superhero films. :sas2:
Compare novels to American cape comics that are basically long running soap operas bruh

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Where do you draw the line? What type of fantastical elements are allowed in a film before it becomes just a movie fine whatever movie? Are the Lord of the Rings movies just fine movies about dwarfs?

That's his opinion. You can't fukk with Ethan's credentials. It felt like Logan transcended the genre a bit and I loved the movie but I can see why Ethan would have that opinion.
You can definitely question his cred though. Dude has done a lot of garbage. He was in The Purge.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just a few people in here all in their feelings, I mean we really gonna stack up these CBMs to fukkin Godfather and Goodfellas and City of God? and all the actual classics with classic writing, set design, dialogue, acting, etc?

:ld:
Meh he’s just being a snob and I like Hawke . To dismiss a genre of movie Is ridiculous

Formerly Black Trash

Daps
Reppin
Na
Where do you draw the line? What type of fantastical elements are allowed in a film before it becomes just a movie fine whatever movie? Are the Lord of the Rings movies just fine movies about dwarfs?

You can definitely question his cred though. Dude has done a lot of garbage. He was in The Purge.

All actors do...it’s called paying the bills

It’s a difference between acting in something and knowing it’s to pay the bills...and lowering the standards for greatness

Maude

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Midwest
Well, it’s a great superhero movie. It still involves people in tights with metal coming out of their hands. It’s not Bresson. It’s not Bergman. But they talk about it like it is.

Same thing could be said about Magnificent 7. That was a great western film.
Ethan is a Hollywood Elitist. I surprised so many breh agree. Put quantifiers on a movie because of its source material is ridiculous.

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Better question, are the MCU films better or worse for summer blockbusters?

For me there are about 5 or so cbm that translate in being very good movies overall.
5? I got up to three and stopped counting because I turned off my fanism. :francis: And I was comparing it to the Mission Impossible films.

Formerly Black Trash

Daps
Reppin
Na
Same thing could be said about Magnificent 7. That was a great western film.
Ethan is a Hollywood Elitist. I surprised so many breh agree. Put quantifiers on a movie because of its source material is ridiculous.

When a lot of these movies are made the same...it’s really not

Supreme365

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DC
is it really though? :manny:

no matter how hard it tries to be taken seriously as a drama... at its heart isn't it still a silly genre film?:manny:

few years back i was visiting my pops and my stepmom... we were browsing the on demand... i was like wanna watch dark knight?

my pops was like :what:"batman?"

and in that moment i realized there was no amount of 'gritty realism'... or 'nolanism'... that was ever going to convince those two to watch a batman movie. and i can't even blame them... they're adults. :yeshrug:

i'm not ashamed to be a fan of nerd shyt, but we have to embrace the fact that it's nerd shyt :yeshrug:
:mjlol: Never looked at it like that I grew up with these movies but to somebody 50 plus it’s just a bunch of dudes from cartoons in tights

All in all they’re still great movies and in my opinion comic book movies are able to combine classic sci-fi with classic action and a sprinkle of drama

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
As a loyal wolverine fan, that fakkit's movies will never get a dollar from me henceforth. Celebrities literally pay the price for their stupid opinions.