"It's a fine superhero movie... but it's not a great movie." - Ethan Hawke

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
When you take a step back and realize that you are comparing scripts written by Joss Whedon to actual great screenplay writers then you'll reach the point where you think it's silly to even have this conversation.

The directors and cinematographers and even some of the actors can stand on their own.. but it's the scripts that are mostly shyt in comic book movies. Silly jokes or silly tension moments that would never be written into a legitimate story.

Airtrack360

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Wtf even qualifies a movie as "good"? All that is subjective. This sounds like snobby bullshyt to me.
I could give you a list of 30 "good movies" and 10 "good comic book movies" and I could get almost everyone here to agree that the best comic book movie is still worse than the lowest ranking "good movie". I'll even make sure all the "good movies" came out in the last 15 years to make it even.

If everyone subjectively agrees, then I think that's a good start.

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Comic book movies are like fast food

Ethan Hawk movies are gourmet.

Seriously Ethan has like 4-5 movies easily better than the best comic book movie (the dark night) of all time.

And he’s not even considered THAT Great of an Actor by most.

teacher

All Star
Daps
Black Panther.........the dark knight........Logan (the dialogue with prof x bored me)

The box office agrees :umad:

Daps
You do realize thats just one movie that came halfway through a 30+ year career?
think what dude means is he was going to be skeet alrich if not for training day resurrecting his career, think pulp fiction with travolta
I mean, let's really keep it 100, do y'all hold these films in high regard or are you just riding the wave? :jbhmm:
not 'these' movies only a select few. Dark knight and logan werent your typical cbm and in the latter which he referenced I dont recall anyone in a costume. Adaptation was a brilliant movie should it lose points for having sci-fi elements? Was limitless any less a good movie because it wasnt directed by sergio leone? why cant a great movie just be great? He just sounds like an elitist being a snob, mr reality bites done got old on us

Last edited:

Ukbrotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Naija, London, Earth
For me there are about 5 or so cbm that translate in being very good movies overall.

The reduction of cbm to guys jumping around fighting in tights is retarded because imagine reducing HEAT to a silly shootout.

Obviously most cbm are silly takes and well bound in the confines of the superhero genre but if anyone saying they all are and can never translate to great movies overall is full of shyt.

Only thing worse that those mega comic book nerds is an elitist snob.

Dwayne_Taylor

Superstar
Daps
Hes hating but to be honest while Logan is the best goat wolverine movie...its just ok as compared to other movies....i I was entertained and I don't feel like I wasted my money but I could only watch it once

Mr Clean

Superstar
Daps
He has a point. I can't lie, I'm satisfied with a lot of these superhero movies being alright. I was fukking with Infinity War but when I thought about it all they did was have a competent villain this time. I found Antman and The Wasp to be an enjoyable romp :mindblown:

I don't know why but I cut these movies major slack. How did it get this way? :mindblown:

Dwayne_Taylor

Superstar
Daps
he has a bit of a point. Fans hailing superhero/comic book movies as great movies when they're really just great... for superhero movies.
are you saying superhero movies; as a genre arent comparable to other movies. Do you think CBM as a whole suck ?