It seems as though The Roots has a flawless discography

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
I seriously don't see how any of their music can elicit more than a "yeah, that's cool, I guess.." Listen to their music. You can see the next chord progression from a mile away, you can see exactly where Black Thought is going to take his rhyme, etc, etc...

How much of The Roots have you actually listened to? Be honest. If you don't like them cool, but to say they play it safe is just asinine.

And who are all these rappers who are more complex and unpredictable than Thought by the way?

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
lol@black thought the MC who penned the verses to section, no alibi, thought@work etc.
being predicitable
wtf

Non Sequitur

Creep.
Daps
Reppin
The 3rd Degree
I don't know if I've ever read a statement more opposite of the truth here than the Roots play it safe. They're a fukking hip-hop BAND first of all. They do left field experimental shyt consistently and come different almost every time. They made a song rapping over bagpipes. They made a song scatting. They fuse rock, R&B, blues and soul influence into their music and use obscure samples and spoken word poetry. If anything they should play it safe more and they might have a larger audience.

They play it safe, as in they stay in their comfort zone. Which is "experimental" hiphop for boring people. They take the most mundane, worn out parts of all their influences and fuse them into one bland sound; the sum of which may never have been heard, but we can recognize all of the tried and true, safe parts.

bangbreh

motorboat extraordinaire
Daps
Reppin
somewhere between a pair of D cup tiddies
:merchant:

yeah breh, being experimental is safe :manny:

images

i'm outta here.

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
They play it safe, as in they stay in their comfort zone. Which is "experimental" hiphop for boring people. They take the most mundane, worn out parts of all their influences and fuse them into one bland sound; the sum of which may never have been heard, but we can recognize all of the tried and true, safe parts.

:aicmon: pitchfork is over there --->

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps

Lol...this makes zero sense. They're "experimental" because they delve into different styles and sounds of music. They are dynamic and constantly evolving. :laff:@them having one sound.

This...

doesn't sound like this...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxs1-Blsr9w&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]The Roots - Undun (Make My) Album Download Link - YouTube[/ame]

Etc. etc. I could go on and on. They probably have the most diverse array of sounds of anyone in hip-hop.

Just admit you haven't really listened to The Roots and stop embarassing yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Non Sequitur

Creep.
Daps
Reppin
The 3rd Degree
Lol...this makes zero sense. They're "experimental" because they delve into different styles and sounds of music. They are dynamic and constantly evolving. :laff:@them having one sound.

This...

The Roots - Clones - YouTube

The Roots - Star - YouTube

The Roots - The Seed (2.0) ft. Cody ChesnuTT - YouTube

The Roots - 75 Bars (Black's Reconstruction) - YouTube

The Roots - Break You Off (BET Version) ft. Musiq - YouTube

Etc. etc. I could go on and on.

Just admit you haven't really listened to The Roots and stop embarassing yourself.

They are dynamic and constantly evolving into a lukewarm combination of styles that have been done to death before them. They just don't have "it."