Turk

Young, Gifted, and Black
Daps
Reppin
Southside
I can recognize the Klan too
dont mean Im tryna cop hoods and shyt :what:

some Clayton Bigsby shyt :mjlol:

You can't be popular but unrecognizable, but you can be recognizable and unpopular. Everyone knows what HIV is but nobody likes it. lol

Which is why I said it was a part of popularity :beli:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
A whole generation who grew up on justice league cartoons. Don't underestimate that shyt. There's still a whole generation of people who were shocked to find out there was a white green lantern
I never watched so I just did some research. This shyt was on for like 5 years (correct me if I'm wrong)? Isn't saying a generation a bit much?
Also looking at various lists of 'the most popular superhero' I admit I jumped some levels calling Tony Stark 4. Hulk, Wolverine and WonderWoman have more claim. His star is rising but he's not there yet.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I never watched so I just did some research. This shyt was on for like 5 years (correct me if I'm wrong)? Isn't saying a generation a bit much?
Also looking at various lists of 'the most popular superhero' I admit I jumped some levels calling Tony Stark 4. Hulk, Wolverine and WonderWoman have more claim. His star is rising but he's not there yet.

No it's not saying too much. There are cats I went to high school with and cats on this board all around the same age as me who grew up on that show. It's ubiquitous for a generation of kids so much so that Neal Adams, a legendary comics writer, said fairly recently that it was a mistake for DC to not start with Jon Stewart because more kids watched that show than read comics. So why not go with the guy people know and recognize rather than introduce them to someone they don't? You didn't watch it cool but there are so so so many people who did. For a lot of people that's their first introduction to all of this shyt. Batman spider man superman Wonder Woman etc. all from cartoons.

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
Good shout but I would put him at 5 since hulks been popular for longer.

I'd put Logan above Hulk, at this point, he is way more liked and accessable. In 1995 had you told me Wolverine would have more movies, shows and cartoons than Hulk, I wouldn't have believed it, now he does. Logan is at least top 5, where you place him in there is subjective.

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
As far as brand recognition, I'd say it goes:

1. Batman
2. Superman
3. Spider-Man
4. Captain America
5. Wonder Woman

As far as popularity, I'd say it goes

1. Spider-man
2. Batman
3. Wolverine
4. Superman
5. X-Men/Hulk

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
my 6 year old son and most of his lil buddies favorite character is Star-Lord
mostly cause of the mask

i thought i was onto some real MVP daddy shyt gettin him the mask and the element gun
dropped him off at his mothers sisters apartment and all these lil dweebs had the shyt :deadmanny:

Daps
Reppin
NYC
not my words. something I took from another site.

about whether or not superman is the greatest superhero of them all.

Greatest Superhero is practically his definition. He is to superheroes what Conan is to barbarians, or Tolkien is to fantasy. He's the icon, the tradition from which all other traditions descend.

The people who dislike him tend to cite precisely his hyper-traditional archetypical attributes as a reason. He's basically too archetypically Superheroic for them. So whether you love him or hate him, all doctors agree, he's the One.

He's also basically Samson, Moses and Christ rolled up into one. He's the strongest, he's the natural leader, he's the quintessential character of inspiration, and he loves mankind, believes in us, inspires us, and will die for us. He's got hard-core saviour cred. He is the centre, morally and literarily, of the superhero universe.

Plus, he believes in 'Truth, Justice, and the American Way!' And despite not being American myself, I like that he's a superhero with a (mythologically) powerful and incorruptible integrity (not that people don't try, but the myth is greater than the stories), where he knows there is evil because he fights it every day, and there is good because he sees it every day, and doesn't buy that 'grey morality' or 'complexity' are actual answers beyond confessions of ignorance (not that that means the answers are always easy to find. But that's what makes it important. Truth is something you fight for).

He basically created and supports the entire genre. The question isn't 'Without Superman can there be a Justice League?" it's "Without Superman, can there be a Superhero Genre?"

If Superman was to die culturally, it would mean that we as a society no longer love superheroes. He's is iconic of everything that a superhero is. Even anti-heroes could not survive without him, because they would no longer have a tradition to subvert.

That alone, makes him the greatest.

:cape:

:wow:

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
Basically the "what suburban muthafukkas like" :deadmanny: in their comics

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Superman without a doubt is the biggest icon amongst superhero characters by a huge margin. Almost everyone knows that Christopher Reeve played Superman, they know the emblem and the powers. When the word "superhero" is mentioned the first name that's thought of is "Superman".

The top 5 Icons are

1. Superman
2. Batman
3. Spider-Man
4. Hulk
5. Wonder Woman

As for popularity right now it's

1. Batman
2. Spider-Man
3. Iron Man
4. Superman
5. Wolverine

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Basically the "what suburban muthafukkas like" :deadmanny: in their comics

You're the homie but you gotta chill with that :russ: like I went to school with dudes whether it be high school or in college in queens who loved superman and they weren't from anything resembling a suburb. Some of them from inner city DC, some from the boroughs etc

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Superman without a doubt is the biggest icon amongst superhero characters by a huge margin. Almost everyone knows that Christopher Reeve played Superman, they know the emblem and the powers. When the word "superhero" is mentioned the first name that's thought of is "Superman".

The top 5 Icons are

1. Superman
2. Batman
3. Spider-Man
4. Hulk
5. Wonder Woman

As for popularity right now it's

1. Batman
2. Spider-Man
3. Iron Man
4. Superman
5. Wolverine
Hard to argue with this.

MAYBE you could make the case that spidey is above bats rite now.

but all in all you are right on the money.