IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Got an interview for a level 1 help desk job downtown. Any tips?

I would interview it more like a customer service gig. The people that interview you are not tech savvy matter of fact 9/10 its a regular customer service manager. Don't bog them down with too much tech stuff just make it be know you know the basics and you would can deliver a excellent customer service product to the customers (the employees)

Conscious Pilot

Do Better.
Daps
Reppin
Beaches and Palm Trees
Don't be a fakkit
:myman:
I would interview it more like a customer service gig. The people that interview you are not tech savvy matter of fact 9/10 its a regular customer service manager. Don't bog them down with too much tech stuff just make it be know you know the basics and you would can deliver a excellent customer service product to the customers (the employees)

Thanks fam, and yeah that is my plan of what I want do. The bish said she will have a colleague with her , hopefully that guy is not just an IT guru or some shyt. It was through a recruiter and its been smooth sailing. All happening fast, its a contract job through the year. I currently work as a Lab Tech at my university where I do some minor troubleshooting. Kinda fluffed it up saying I take calls and reset passwords(which I know how to do), but hopefully shyt goes well.

I do have some misdemeanors from like 5 years ago, so I hope that dont fukk my chances up in the long run :leostare:

beezy

Old Member
Daps
Reppin
guala guala island
i have my Sec+ and 3 years of experience. is there any point in getting A+ or Net+ just to have it on paper at least? ive got free training programs at my disposal im wondering if i should make use of it..

I also have training programs for these at my job: (any suggestions on what to do?)
CISSP
CISA
CISM
SSCP

I know CISSP is supposed to be whats hot in these streetz right now but if i remember correctly you need to meet certain requirements that i dont yet to take the exam.. anyway, what would yall do?

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
what type of work do you do now? what type of experience do you have? where you trying to go?

have a plan. no point on getting certs for the sake of getting certs

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
i have my Sec+ and 3 years of experience. is there any point in getting A+ or Net+ just to have it on paper at least? ive got free training programs at my disposal im wondering if i should make use of it..

I also have training programs for these at my job: (any suggestions on what to do?)
CISSP
CISA
CISM
SSCP

I know CISSP is supposed to be whats hot in these streetz right now but if i remember correctly you need to meet certain requirements that i dont yet to take the exam.. anyway, what would yall do?

Get certs if it'll help your career. Don't get shyt just to get it. You won't get a penny more in money for having your A+.

CISSP is a pre-requisite and is good to have, but having other technical certs will help, assuming the employer is looking for someone who has experience with that technology (Checkpoint, Cisco, Encase, etc).

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
my new toys arrived (not pics but similar)

prod_large_photo0900aecd8006d184.jpg

I'm about to rape a gov agency...

:ahh:

hood b. goode

shytposter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ProSports: NOLA. College: UMich. Europe: Arsenal
I've recently signed up to addon techonologies which is a staffing firm in Michigan ( i leave to stay in their guest house on friday). I'm gonna be submitted to their java clients and have to go through java job interviews. Kind of nervous, preparing for what I might face in the interviews from now. Wish me luck brehs Its contract work BUT long contracts, I might also be able to get permanent positions with experience under the belt.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Is there anybody here who received a certification in high school? I went to a vocational and technical high school in BK that offered programs in A+ and Cisco among other things. I was always interested in broadcasting but I wasn't accepted into the school that concentrated in that area. My next best choice was going to a school that had a multimedia internet technology program. We leaned HTML, java script, cascading style sheets and adobe. At the end of senior year we got to take a webmaster certification test.

Shameonyou

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
what can you do with a comptia A+ cert if you dont have the "hands on" equipment to help study for the test? I dont wanna just pass it and get a cert...are there avenues where you can obtain the cert with hands on experience?

How did some of you learn it?

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
what can you do with a comptia A+ cert if you dont have the "hands on" equipment to help study for the test? I dont wanna just pass it and get a cert...are there avenues where you can obtain the cert with hands on experience?

How did some of you learn it?

Just open up your PC and take a look around. The A+ is not that hard, it's more memorizing stuff really. Take your PC apart and put it back together or just Build a new one. Also take a look around newegg.com to get familiar with parts etc...