IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
what can you do with a comptia A+ cert if you dont have the "hands on" equipment to help study for the test? I dont wanna just pass it and get a cert...are there avenues where you can obtain the cert with hands on experience?

How did some of you learn it?

Take apart your computer and put it back together. If you can do that with no trouble, you're pretty much ready for the A+. Outside of that it's just memorizing shyt (names of processors, Windows commands, etc.).

It's probably good to have "hands on" equipment but you honestly don't even need it for the A+. Just memorization. But it's you're really interested in hands on training you can check your local community college, most of them have prep classes for the A+.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Just open up your PC and take a look around. The A+ is not that hard, it's more memorizing stuff really. Take your PC apart and put it back together or just Build a new one. Also take a look around newegg.com to get familiar with parts etc...

When i used to see this i literally thought it meant open the CPU and remove the parts there and then put them back together :bryan:

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Man im stressin over this Java interviews...damn I hope that I can practice and get appropriately ready.

What about Java has you worried, breh? Java ain't that difficult imo, really no programming language is...(outside of maybe the original C language). Get at me if you need any books to study up on or if you need help understanding a concept.

good luck :salute:

selam

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
^ What do you do breh? I just started learning to program through codeacademy... I find it really interesting and am thinking about taking it seriously. It helps to hear other people's stories about how they got started and where they ended up.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
^ What do you do breh? I just started learning to program through codeacademy... I find it really interesting and am thinking about taking it seriously. It helps to hear other people's stories about how they got started and where they ended up.

I'm a software engineer. I learned how to program by spending hours upon hours upon hours daily just reading books, practicing writing code, and creating my own applications (at the time, I didn't have a job, lived at home with mom's, and my only responsibility was school). Eventually, I got good and that shyt started to come natural. Codeacademy is cool but I would also suggest reading books at the same time to get a more thorough understanding of programming because Codeacademy only give you a very brief introduction to concepts of web programming (however its still a good tool to practice with).

selam

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah, thats what ive gotten from playing around with it for a few days. The thing is I've really enjoyed learning what I've learned so far (finished up basic html, about to move on to CSS). I've actually been looking into software engineering as a career. I already have Psych degree but the only place that it has led me is into an administrative position doing work that really doesnt have any meaning to me.

What are some of the benefits and drawbacks of being a software engineer. What are some things that you wish you would have known when you first got into the field? Do you like the field? Is it a worthy investment?

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Yeah, thats what ive gotten from playing around with it for a few days. The thing is I've really enjoyed learning what I've learned so far (finished up basic html, about to move on to CSS). I've actually been looking into software engineering as a career. I already have Psych degree but the only place that it has led me is into an administrative position doing work that really doesnt have any meaning to me.

What are some of the benefits and drawbacks of being a software engineer. What are some things that you wish you would have known when you first got into the field? Do you like the field? Is it a worthy investment?

I mean I love doing what I do (as opposed to what I could be doing). Like you, I originally came from a different background that wasn't in the computer field. Before I got into programming, I had a MBA from a pretty good school, but I hated accounting, hated marketing, hated finance, hated rocking black dress shoes, etc. :huhldup: (but passed all my classes with flying colors tho).

I was working for the government, but that shyt didn't work out for me (got laid-off and lost everything :sadbron:. I was stuck back at square one (back at mom's :smh:)... and all I knew was I didn't want to be a banker, I didn't want to be in a suit 24/7 (and like I mentioned before, I didn't want to be a accountant or none of that shyt). I had a older brother that was a Senior Apps Analyst at T-Mobile and I was always interest in the shyt he did. One day he told me to learn SQL and Unix if I wanted a foot in the game. Those are 2 skills that can get you paid and there are a lot of jobs in those areas (check indeed). I learned SQL and Unix environment and developed a love for programming, from there I learned Java, C++, C#, some scripting languages, back-end web development and other shyt.

The only thing I wish I woulda knew back then as opposed to now is getting into software development earlier.

Anything in technology is a worthy investment if you're willing to dedicate the time to it, and when I say time, I mean (40-50 hrs a week in study and practice time). That's the only way you gonna get tight with it.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps

:ohhh: Whats This?

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis

Some other good sites( you have to pay though )

learndevnow.com( $129.00 or 99 a year )
pluralsight ( about $29 a month ).
3DBuzz( mostly geared towards Game Programming, but they have a lot of regular programming tutorials on there also ).

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Unity 3D :blessed:

Had to ditch XNA for this. Now I know why so many game developers were using this.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis

:whoa:

Please look into C# or Java. HTML and CSS will not give you a clear view of software engineering unless you plan on only doing (simple)web development.

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

like others mentioned unless you just want to do web development don't waste your time on CSS and HTML. If you're serious about software development start learning a programming language. i'll recommend c++ cause it's a broad language and it would expose you to low level stuff like pointers and memory management to abstractions like classes and templates. the learning curve can be quite steep though so depending on your learning style and how hard you're willing to work python, java, or c# would be easier to handle.

also while you're learning a specific language(s) read and learn about language design and theory such as how the compilation process works (syntax, grammars, scanning, parsing etc), bindings, scoping rules, referencing environments, memory, types (type systems, type checking), calling sequences, parameter passing, data abstraction.... those topics are not unique to any language but common to all and learning them would help you better understand how languages work and learn them faster and better. they would also help with your vocab, for instance you'll be able to immediately understand what strongly typed or late binding means.

selam

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:salute:

I appreciate all this information brehs. I'm finally getting to a stage in my life where i'm willing to put in the work. I'm just lucky that this process is happening sooner rather than later. I'm still young and ready to go get it. It's funny how life works, but I'm glad everything happened the way it did...