IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
Everytime you have to lab up a crazy scenario, you have to get up and move cables? :what: Fukk that. I can build complex networks without getting up from my PC.
theres no need to move any console cables if you have an acs server. get a cheap 2524 series router for $100 with an octal cable and you're good to go

I will be doing my CCIE voice in a few months and my lab will be almost 70% GNS3 and 30% real live equipment. :ahh:
lettin you know right now breh gns3 will be a waste of time. so many limitations that require too many tweaks to make it worth it.

the big issue is no pvdm modules so no conferencing/transcoding also you won't be able to emulate any ISDN PRIs or voice cards, so no voice ports, so no MGCP. no ability to configure unity express. softphones run into issues when you're trying to do plus dialing

gns3 is great for doing most of the CME tasks, but it just cant do anything that requires a TDM circuit or a DSP which matters for the lab. now that 2800 series routers are all cheap since EoL. if i was you id go full hardware/online rental or bust. it's a waste of time going with gns3 for the lab

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
theres no need to move any console cables if you have an acs server. get a cheap 2524 series router for $100 with an octal cable and you're good to go

lettin you know right now breh gns3 will be a waste of time. so many limitations that require too many tweaks to make it worth it.

the big issue is no pvdm modules so no conferencing/transcoding also you won't be able to emulate any ISDN PRIs or voice cards, so no voice ports, so no MGCP. no ability to configure unity express. softphones run into issues when you're trying to do plus dialing

gns3 is great for doing most of the CME tasks, but it just cant do anything that requires a TDM circuit or a DSP which matters for the lab. now that 2800 series routers are all cheap since EoL. if i was you id go full hardware/online rental or bust. it's a waste of time going with gns3 for the lab

doesn't matter if you have an access server....if you still want to connect multiple serial links to emulate different serious, you will have to move your butt.

A way around that will be to setup vlans and use them as point-to-point between routers on that network but still...

2801 router is all you need test PSTN simulation. you can hook it up to a regular phone port to test FXO and probably use open source linux to test digital connections like T1 and ISDN/PRI.

You don't need a full equipment lab if you want to go cheap.

CCIE voice does require buying a few hardware but SP and RS you can get away with just a few switches

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
That phone interview i thought i fukked up a few weeks ago want me to still come in and do a 30 min interview? :ohhh:

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
What's the point of getting certified?
To know the material and configuration and how it applies to real world scenarios. I have 2 CCIE's on my team none of them had a full lab .

GNS3 was the way :ufdup:

I will be following their lead...while you waste money :obama3:

Haters never prosper :ban:

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Brehs, sqlzoo.net is another great place to practice and learn SQL....

breh, you need to pick up linq and make your life easier. think about it, the same syntax/ structure you use to manage your programs internal data( arrays, lists etc) you can use to manage database info. I would post some screenshots but im on my iPhone.

to add pLinq to speed all of this up by using multiple threads.:mj:

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
this is how most break into the industry. Contracting firms will take a chance on you be a corporations will.

Yup, and even though they'll probably hook you up with a job you dont want, you have to think about the experience first. Plus temp agencies dont interview you as hard.