IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
As far as coding goes. Are there any recommended certs?

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
:salute:

I appreciate all this information brehs. I'm finally getting to a stage in my life where i'm willing to put in the work. I'm just lucky that this process is happening sooner rather than later. I'm still young and ready to go get it. It's funny how life works, but I'm glad everything happened the way it did...

Trust me breh, you're gonna HAVE to be willing to put in work. That's the only way you will learn and get better in this industry. Also, don't be afraid to use google if you have a question or don't understand a concept. When reading books, one book may explain a particular concept better than another so don't just rely on one text. Do not go trying to reinvent the will. A lot of code you will need has been written. Learn when to use it. Last, figure out the time of day you learn the best, that will make things a lot easier.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
As a hobby hoping to turn into a career. Buisness type programming is boring as hell. lol

I feel you, lol. if gaming on systems goes the way I think it will for the future where people can put games on the market like apps, a lot of talented people is gonna eat good.

selam

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Been doing a little bit of research and a lot of experienced software engineers say that beginners should start off programming with a language like C or C++. They say these languages make you have to learn the fundamentals of programming...They make it easier to learn other languages.

I'm planning on holding off on learning CSS and html and diving into C as my first real language...Any thoughts??

selam

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Trust me breh, you're gonna HAVE to be willing to put in work. That's the only way you will learn and get better in this industry. Also, don't be afraid to use google if you have a question or don't understand a concept. When reading books, one book may explain a particular concept better than another so don't just rely on one text. Do not go trying to reinvent the will. A lot of code you will need has been written. Learn when to use it. Last, figure out the time of day you learn the best, that will make things a lot easier.

:ohhh:

Go deeper breh. :lupe:

There are times when I feel like I can focus and zone in a lot better, but I never attributed it to time of day.

selam

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As far as coding goes. Are there any recommended certs?

What I've gathered from my research is that with programming, it's all about trying to become the best programmer you can be. Companies want to know if you know your shyt more so than wanting you to have certs.

If you have ever tried to get good at anything (sports or whatever) you know that it's all about putting the time and work in. Eventually things will start to click.

With that being said, how important is a degree in getting your foot in the door for an interview? Do companies want to see a computer science or software engineering degree or is mastering a language good enough?

Silky Johnson

The Master Investbreh
Daps
Reppin
Hatersbridge, BX
Been doing a little bit of research and a lot of experienced software engineers say that beginners should start off programming with a language like C or C++. They say these languages make you have to learn the fundamentals of programming...They make it easier to learn other languages.

I'm planning on holding off on learning CSS and html and diving into C as my first real language...Any thoughts??

If you want to get into JAVA and other object orientated languages then picking up C++ first is the way to go since it's a bit more structured.

If you're looking to get into web design, go learn HTML first and then CSS. You don't need to learn C because the syntax and tags aren't even related like that. After you get grips on the HTML/CSS, look deeper into XML, Javascript, PHP, etc.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL

Don't fukk with C, everything that can be done with C, can be done in C++. Go ahead and learn C++. After learning C++, if you learn thoroughly enough, it shouldn't take long to pick up Java or C#. Telling someone to learn C before C++ is like telling someone they have to play regular PlayStation before they start playing PS1, PS2 or PS3.

This is a good book to start, its beefy with damn near 1700 pages but it is fully descriptive and a pretty easy read....

C++ Programming: From Problem Analysis to Program Design - 6th Edition

35800327619077923288979743734986.jpg

look around on the net and you can find it (Make sure you grabbing the latest edition when you getting books). Also, go and download and ide such as CodeBlocks or NetBeans. You can watch a youtube video to see how to work in those ide's.

http://www.codeblocks.org/
https://netbeans.org/

selam

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If you want to get into JAVA and other object orientated languages then picking up C++ first is the way to go since it's a bit more structured.

If you're looking to get into web design, go learn HTML first and then CSS. You don't need to learn C because the syntax and tags aren't even related like that. After you get grips on the HTML/CSS, look deeper into XML, Javascript, PHP, etc.

True. I was only thinking about learning C because people say it makes learning C++ a smoother process.