IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Yeah that’s what I’m doing. Gonna do some training myself out of pocket and just keep trying.

I flunked an interview so badly last week because I panicked and wasn’t thinking. I decided to stop interviewing as there’s barely any opportunities where I live and I feel like I’m running out.

Maybe thinking of Asia or Canada next
Look in the Southeast.
Lackland, TX, Augusta, GA, BAltimore, MD these are big spots for IR and Cyber SEc opoerations for DoD, AF and Army.
You should have no issue getting a position in these areas, especially if you have clean credit and criminal.
So if you can work on getting a security clearance loclaly if you can, when/if you get it you have the experience I"m guessing to make upper 5 figures but most likely 6 figures as a contractor.

Rice'N Beckford

**King of ADOS**
Daps
Reppin
DMV
DL kali linux to play around with some shyt and do some terminal shyt. I'm 3 chapters away from finishing this darril gibson security+ book and will schedule my exam for late march.

I might leave my job for a 40% pay increase. I've only been here since october tho and im a contractor idk if this violates some agreement :lupe:

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yeah that’s what I’m doing. Gonna do some training myself out of pocket and just keep trying.

I flunked an interview so badly last week because I panicked and wasn’t thinking. I decided to stop interviewing as there’s barely any opportunities where I live and I feel like I’m running out.

Maybe thinking of Asia or Canada next

Look for remote or partial remote. You can also look at short-term contracts where they pay for relocation. Try LinkedIn. Don't lock yourself in and never be afraid to ask or negotiate. Negotiation, isn't just for salary, it can be for additional time off or alternate work schedule.

What did tech do for you guys??

It has allowed me to command a salary I never though I could get with no signs of a cap. You don't have to be a supervisor to make money and I like that because I'm not interested in telling anyone what to do. There are so many options also. You can choose one path like networking and it can lead you to multiple other paths and niche markets. The possibilities are endless.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
What did tech do for you guys??

gave me a focus of what i wanted to do with my life...thankfully i learned that lesson early

It has allowed me to command a salary I never though I could get with no signs of a cap. You don't have to be a supervisor to make money and I like that because I'm not interested in telling anyone what to do. There are so many options also. You can choose one path like networking and it can lead you to multiple other paths and niche markets. The possibilities are endless.

ditto sweetheart..although i like being a lead application analyst/product owner :mjgrin:

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
gave me a focus of what i wanted to do with my life...thankfully i learned that lesson early

ditto sweetheart..although i like being a lead application analyst/product owner :mjgrin:
I really want to do Project Management. I want to sit from the comfort of my home and organize all these shytty ass projects and their terrible resources. Plus working with large budgets makes me so happy inside.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
I really want to do Project Management. I want to sit from the comfort of my home and organize all these shytty ass projects and their terrible resources. Plus working with large budgets makes me so happy inside.

One thing i learned about project management...not everyone can do it lol...even the ones with the cert...finding a person with that skill is a crapshoot

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
One thing i learned about project management...not everyone can do it lol...even the ones with the cert...finding a person with that skill is a crapshoot

True! If you're not a technical person, being certified in the PMP will never be enough to coordinate technical projects. That's where I feel my experience and background will ultimately benefit me.

I don't know what I'm going to do, but I do know that once this contract is up, I will have a short commute, if no commute at all. I'm getting old and these companies don't deserve both my skill AND time. :manny:

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Getting brought into for a F2F interview with a project manager on this fed contract in DC. 40% higher salary, cert reimbursement, and they gonna try and bump up my security clearance from a public trust :wow:

I need to get a shapeup for this:mjgrin:
You're about to get broke off!! These Fed contracts are the move! If it's for the army or defense in general, I'm probably the one responsible for reporting. I wish I could move it along for you LOL. Good luck!

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti
:mjcry: to :Useeme:

Lmao, :mjlit:

Quick question: ya'll ever straight up packed up and moved for a better opportunity? The complacency isn't killing me yet but I am no longer the type to wait for it to come along and settle in. I am in Florida and the job is in Chicago btw. Tried getting into DC but the market seems tough even for people with a Sec+, but I don't mind shooting my shot again once I get that experience. Right now I am just skilling up and studying with an idea of what I want but no particular end game. If I land something where I have to learn shyt on the fly then so be it, I think this and the combination of what I want to specialize in is what helps build a niche. The moment I accepted this tech support role for the experience it was humbling because I had to take a paycut, but your boy was sending out applications the moment he got in. So I am just wondering how ya'll handle opportunities that come from out of state and what not. This thread has and will continue to help me out, so... I am all ears.

:feedme:

Look for remote or partial remote. You can also look at short-term contracts where they pay for relocation. Try LinkedIn. Don't lock yourself in and never be afraid to ask or negotiate. Negotiation, isn't just for salary, it can be for additional time off or alternate work schedule.

These things brings a tear to my eyes breh.

Getting brought into for a F2F interview with a project manager on this fed contract in DC. 40% higher salary, cert reimbursement, and they gonna try and bump up my security clearance from a public trust :wow:

I need to get a shapeup for this:mjgrin:

:blessed:

knickscrusaderm

lead by example
Daps
Reppin
dark butts
Which much did the A+ 801/802 differ from the 901/902? Trying to figure out if I should continue learning from my 901/902 materials or should I wait until reliable 1001/1002 material is released to start studying hard :damn: