IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Thanks brehs.

Okay...so is there a website or somewhere I can sign up take learn the basics first of IT?

Can you point me in the right direction?
Learn the basics of computers and networking, those are your two building blocks that everything else grows out of.
If you want to go security learn about programming, programming logic, and learn a language any language, Ruby, Python, Bash, whatever. Learn it. Hell learn powershell. Do that first because its more intensive, then circle around and learn about networking.

Thats pretty much its.

If you don't know anything about computers read this book first, and learn the concepts, read for knowledge
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1a/Computers_for_Beginners.pdf

If you know about the basics of computing, what hardware makes up a computer, what OSs are, and etc, then move to Networking and read the following book. Read again for understanding.
An Introduction to Computer Networks - Open Textbook Library

Knowledge wise these two books should provide you an excellent foundation to grow from.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Learn the basics of computers and networking, those are your two building blocks that everything else grows out of.
If you want to go security learn about programming, programming logic, and learn a language any language, Ruby, Python, Bash, whatever. Learn it. Hell learn powershell. Do that first because its more intensive, then circle around and learn about networking.

Thats pretty much its.

If you don't know anything about computers read this book first, and learn the concepts, read for knowledge
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1a/Computers_for_Beginners.pdf

If you know about the basics of computing, what hardware makes up a computer, what OSs are, and etc, then move to Networking and read the following book. Read again for understanding.
An Introduction to Computer Networks - Open Textbook Library

Knowledge wise these two books should provide you an excellent foundation to grow from.
Thanks bro

Can you send me Amazon links for those books?

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
They are all free books, just download them.
If you want them in paper just take them to an office max or something and print them out.
Do you think I should get a certification or should I get another bachelor's or a master's degree?

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Go with a cert, if you need to advance later get a Masters but get a cert and start working in the field first before investing in going the degree route IMHO
Okay.

Now what is the most basic certification you recommend I am in the Philadelphia area and I have already looked at local colleges and universities but I also found a place called techsherpas that offer crash courses but they seemed pretty expensive.

I know my question sound basic and I appreciate all of your help.

That is a good idea I will just start off with a certification and then work my way forward

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Okay.

Now what is the most basic certification you recommend I am in the Philadelphia area and I have already looked at local colleges and universities but I also found a place called techsherpas that offer crash courses but they seemed pretty expensive.

I know my question sound basic and I appreciate all of your help.

That is a good idea I will just start off with a certification and then work my way forward

You don't need a crash course you need to be looking at understanding the material
You should look at trying to get some helpdesk desktop support experience first as well.

Plus if you are serious read those books I sent you, learn the material.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
You don't need a crash course you need to be looking at understanding the material
You should look at trying to get some helpdesk desktop support experience first as well.

Plus if you are serious read those books I sent you, learn the material.

Anyone new to IT needs to keep the bolded engrained in them. Having an understanding on how and why things work will take you very far.

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
Man. I'm done with SOC work

I been in the SOC for about 5/6 years now. Was team lead for 2 major banks and just had enough of not being able to break the glass ceiling

I'm desperately trying to get into incident response, but I don't have the day to day experience but I have the experience. But I aint getting the chance. I got my GREM, GCIH..do malware analysis already at work..but not the forensics side of it

I've resorted to waiting for the next month for work to give me GCFA or I think I need to fork out the money to do it myself, as without the certification I am not even getting responses from jobs.

Anyone in here work in IR and made the transition from SOC work? Any tips?

Spin

All Star
Daps
Man. I'm done with SOC work

I been in the SOC for about 5/6 years now. Was team lead for 2 major banks and just had enough of not being able to break the glass ceiling

I'm desperately trying to get into incident response, but I don't have the day to day experience but I have the experience. But I aint getting the chance. I got my GREM, GCIH..do malware analysis already at work..but not the forensics side of it

I've resorted to waiting for the next month for work to give me GCFA or I think I need to fork out the money to do it myself, as without the certification I am not even getting responses from jobs.

Anyone in here work in IR and made the transition from SOC work? Any tips?

How is your SOC structured? Is their a tier 1, 2, 3 structure? Is the issue upper tier guys won’t give you a chance/opportunity?

I’m kind of running into a similar situation, but I will def move on if things don’t open up. Some people in IT just don’t like to help others out due to ego/fear of losing their position/etc. the great thing about the industry is it’s easy to pack up and go to a better gig making more money.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
How is your SOC structured? Is their a tier 1, 2, 3 structure? Is the issue upper tier guys won’t give you a chance/opportunity?

I’m kind of running into a similar situation, but I will def move on if things don’t open up. Some people in IT just don’t like to help others out due to ego/fear of losing their position/etc. the great thing about the industry is it’s easy to pack up and go to a better gig making more money.

This is why we got to help each other out as much as possible. There's so few of us in the industry and the people in power want to keep it that way.

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps

It’s a flat structure with “soft” seniors or which I’m the k my true senior due to experience. So even my manager says on the low he sees me as the only senior

I’m not getting the opportunity even though I’ve officially applied twice. The last time someone got to move because they were about to dip and he got moved as a last minute deal. Even though there were no positions open. Weird thing I enquired about 2 weeks before it happened and was told I should stay in the SOC team and just do stuff there

I’m literally one of the most skilled guys there and all my knowledge is going to waste. I’ve been there almost 2 years and no progression. I can’t go any higher without being the manager and they’re not even offering me training or anything. No progression, no more money. Nothing

This is why we got to help each other out as much as possible. There's so few of us in the industry and the people in power want to keep it that way.
It’s an old white man eatabliahment.

shyts got me wanting to go back home to Nigeria and start something. But realistically , I won’t

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
It’s a flat structure with “soft” seniors or which I’m the k my true senior due to experience. So even my manager says on the low he sees me as the only senior

I’m not getting the opportunity even though I’ve officially applied twice. The last time someone got to move because they were about to dip and he got moved as a last minute deal. Even though there were no positions open. Weird thing I enquired about 2 weeks before it happened and was told I should stay in the SOC team and just do stuff there

I’m literally one of the most skilled guys there and all my knowledge is going to waste. I’ve been there almost 2 years and no progression. I can’t go any higher without being the manager and they’re not even offering me training or anything. No progression, no more money. Nothing

I was in the same position 2 years ago and might be there again soon. I built up my skill set and landed a position elsewhere at another company. My thoughts are if you're not going to put me in a position to grow and succeed I'm going to go somewhere that will.

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
I was in the same position 2 years ago and might be there again soon. I built up my skill set and landed a position elsewhere at another company. My thoughts are if you're not going to put me in a position to grow and succeed I'm going to go somewhere that will.

Yeah that’s what I’m doing. Gonna do some training myself out of pocket and just keep trying.

I flunked an interview so badly last week because I panicked and wasn’t thinking. I decided to stop interviewing as there’s barely any opportunities where I live and I feel like I’m running out.

Maybe thinking of Asia or Canada next

Spin

All Star
Daps

It’s an old white man eatabliahment.

shyts got me wanting to go back home to Nigeria and start something. But realistically , I won’t

Yeah that’s what I’m doing. Gonna do some training myself out of pocket and just keep trying.

I flunked an interview so badly last week because I panicked and wasn’t thinking. I decided to stop interviewing as there’s barely any opportunities where I live and I feel like I’m running out.

Maybe thinking of Asia or Canada next

Based on what you described, it’s time to leave. Sounds like the typical setup where you have guys who have been in the same position for over 10 years and aren’t giving up power.

Where are you located?