IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti
So fellas, I am about to start upgrading my resume/CV and am probably gonna post it here when done for some critique. Just looking for some general tips.

I am trying to land a 9-5 Help Desk/Desktop Support/Tech Support in another city with better opprotunities for growth and advancement. All while attending an internship I landed which is a few hours a night coming out to about 15-20hrs a week on top of the job I am hoping to find. If I can't pull it in time I might just settle for whatever I can get in the city to put me through the internship. I need that experience more than anything... Especially since it's security stuff. I'll be attending school online as well so Feb-June is gonna busy as fukk for ya boy.

Now, about the resume/CV.

-Should I keep it one page?
-Any go to templates or layouts you guys like?
-I am getting some decent experience in my current Tech Support position but it really sucks... I hate sending up calls that I know the fix for
-To add to the point above: might be able to fill up my resume with some of this experience
-Cover letters for each job? Yes or no?
-I am already on that train of making a different resume for every position I apply for
-How do you layout a resume with limited IT experience? All my other job experience is retail, food business, and some in-between transitional jobs here and there
-Should I highlight skills such as communication and customer services? I did not pass my Sec+ (still gonna retake it) but was able to make some moves regardless

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
So fellas, I am about to start upgrading my resume/CV and am probably gonna post it here when done for some critique. Just looking for some general tips.

I am trying to land a 9-5 Help Desk/Desktop Support/Tech Support in another city with better opprotunities for growth and advancement. All while attending an internship I landed which is a few hours a night coming out to about 15-20hrs a week on top of the job I am hoping to find. If I can't pull it in time I might just settle for whatever I can get in the city to put me through the internship. I need that experience more than anything... Especially since it's security stuff. I'll be attending school online as well so Feb-June is gonna busy as fukk for ya boy.

Now, about the resume/CV.

-Should I keep it one page?
-Any go to templates or layouts you guys like?
-I am getting some decent experience in my current Tech Support position but it really sucks... I hate sending up calls that I know the fix for
-To add to the point above: might be able to fill up my resume with some of this experience
-Cover letters for each job? Yes or no?
-I am already on that train of making a different resume for every position I apply for
-How do you layout a resume with limited IT experience? All my other job experience is retail, food business, and some in-between transitional jobs here and there
-Should I highlight skills such as communication and customer services? I did not pass my Sec+ (still gonna retake it) but was able to make some moves regardless

from my experience with resumes

1. doesnt have to be one page
2. keep it simple. no fancy templates or layouts
3. the IT skills you do have...doesn't hurt to embellish a little..esp with any of the jobs you have
4. i do cover letters. i consider it a less formalized way to sell myself outside of the resume
5. yes highlight communication and customer service. Its a skillset within IT that surprisingly even the most technically skilled individuals lack lol.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Hi brehs...

Can someone help me find the basic information and best IT certs to obtain?

I'm thinking of looking into a Masters Program for cybersecurity.

So I wanted to learn IT and those basics via a certificate program or on my own first.

I may apply for the spring 2020 semester so any tips will help.

I get tuition reimbursement through my job so I want to take advantage while I can.

I already am in a lucrative career path but still never too late to learn something new.

Spin

All Star
Daps
Hi brehs...

Can someone help me find the basic information and best IT certs to obtain?

I'm thinking of looking into a Masters Program for cybersecurity.

So I wanted to learn IT and those basics via a certificate program or on my own first.

I may apply for the spring 2020 semester so any tips will help.

I get tuition reimbursement through my job so I want to take advantage while I can.

I already am in a lucrative career path but still never too late to learn something new.

A masters in cyber might not be your best option if you’re looking to get in. What is your motivation for wanting to switch to IT if you’re in a lucrative job now?

I would recommend security + and/or Network +/CCNA. Are you sure the security side of IT is what you want to do at this point? IT has many paths.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
A masters in cyber might not be your best option if you’re looking to get in. What is your motivation for wanting to switch to IT if you’re in a lucrative job now?

I would recommend security + and/or Network +/CCNA. Are you sure the security side of IT is what you want to do at this point? IT has many paths.
I can get my masters for a cheap rate so why not learn another skill?

I've always been I to computers and that was my major until i switched.

I know Cybersecurity and IT are different but I figure if I learn IT and the basics I can then decide after that if I want to get my masters in IT or Cybersecurity.

Is security + and/or Network +/CCNA courses or certifications?

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps

I know Cybersecurity and IT are different but I figure if I learn IT and the basics I can then decide after that if I want to get my masters in IT or Cybersecurity.

Cyber is a buzzword its worthless.
If your doing security, take a 2 year programming class from a vocational school. Theyll teach you theory and practical programming. All security is is either writing scripts and code to exploit or modifying them and delivering with tools you scavenge or make (red team) or using scripta or tools to detect anomolies in traffice from logs (blue,)

When the stupid fad wears off programming means a lot more and will give you a better roi imho than cyber whatever.

If none of that interest you you have Info Assurance on the security side, but thats mainly establishing Policy and tools regs for compliance and system changes.

Then you have good ol real It, where you establish and keep the infrastructure for the network up and running and really do.the shyt that security and ia recommend or mandates, but it is the bigfest group typically knows more about daily operation and still has its hands in everything, even though we are teying to be minimized now

Rice'N Beckford

**King of ADOS**
Daps
Reppin
DMV

Cybersec is a path within IT breh. And those certs are exams not courses. You’d prob wanna study networking first if you wanna get into security imo.

I was gonna do a masters in Information sys or cybersec but Im already in an Application support role and gonna do my sec+, cysa+ and dive into kali linux and start learning python

Rice'N Beckford

**King of ADOS**
Daps
Reppin
DMV
A woman on our team father passed and she was gonna be gone for sometime and that sameday my project manager took her off our team and told her she’s no longer needed anymore. She was PT and worked on some other group within the govt :scust:.... funny thing about it is my project mgr is a 28 yr old thick jamcian woman and Ima start being way more friendly to her:youngsabo:

We getting a new guy who will just be triaging and handling level 1 shyt. We got 15,000 users added and I can finally just focus on troubleshooting/testing the 8 applications the users use :blessed:.

I can see whats happening. Theyre hiring more tech saavy ppl on our team. In the past Im guessing it was more customer support. Now its becoming more tech driven.

Last edited:

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Cyber is a buzzword its worthless.
If your doing security, take a 2 year programming class from a vocational school. Theyll teach you theory and practical programming. All security is is either writing scripts and code to exploit or modifying them and delivering with tools you scavenge or make (red team) or using scripta or tools to detect anomolies in traffice from logs (blue,)

When the stupid fad wears off programming means a lot more and will give you a better roi imho than cyber whatever.

If none of that interest you you have Info Assurance on the security side, but thats mainly establishing Policy and tools regs for compliance and system changes.

Then you have good ol real It, where you establish and keep the infrastructure for the network up and running and really do.the shyt that security and ia recommend or mandates, but it is the bigfest group typically knows more about daily operation and still has its hands in everything, even though we are teying to be minimized now

Cybersec is a path within IT breh. And those certs are exams not courses. You’d prob wanna study networking first if you wanna get into security imo.

I was gonna do a masters in Information sys or cybersec but Im already in an Application support role and gonna do my sec+, cysa+ and dive into kali linux and start learning python

Thanks brehs.

Okay...so is there a website or somewhere I can sign up take learn the basics first of IT?

Can you point me in the right direction?

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA
I've never really posted in this thread like that but if it can be of any positive encouragement I'd like to share my progress with brehs. :manny:

I recently graduated with an associate's degree in IT, focused primarily on Cisco Networking in December of last year and in the month since I just been applying to help desk/entry level IT positions. Fortunately one company really liked my resume and gave me an interview. Apparently I really impressed and they invited me in for a second one. A few days ago I was offered and accepted the position which is in a help desk/desktop support role for about 30k a year starting. Plus they help with certs by reimbursing you for the cost of the exams if you pass them. Turns out the degree which I basically got for free with financial aid really helped after all.

What I mean to say is that it may not be much to many people but for me it gives me a chance to get my foot in the door and learn/gain experience in the field that I really need. I have no student loan debt to pay back, no kids, I own my car, have a decent amount of savings and I'm 25-26 and just now entering the career with the hopes that by the time I'm 35-36 I will have 10 years of experience in IT and the certs to be pretty set in terms of my career prospects. And it damn sure beats doing the menial warehouse/restaurant jobs I've been working the past 5 years.

If I could say anything to encourage another breh is that it's never too late to start and to take your time and go at your own pace. :salute:

Last edited: